China Open 2013 updates

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That final thirty-two was ridiculous. Strongest field ever?

I was having similar thoughts. Along with the WPA World 9-ball Championships, has pool ever produced stronger fields than these?

Nice to see Wu playing like this again. I watched the stream of his quarterfinal match against Biado, and Wu's form was darn near perfect in the 11-6 victory.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having similar thoughts. Along with the WPA World 9-ball Championships, has pool ever produced stronger fields than these?

Nice to see Wu playing like this again. I watched the stream of his quarterfinal match against Biado, and Wu's form was darn near perfect in the 11-6 victory.

Since my horse has lost, not sure why i have a hunch Lee Vann Corteza (PHI) will win it all, maybe LVC, will revenge for PHI from last year's defeat.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Men's semifinal matches:

Lee Vann Corteza (PHI) vs. Omar Al Shaheen (KUW)

Fu Che Wei (TPE) vs. Wu Jiaqing (CHN)

The men's semifinal matches starts at 6:30 pm Pacific, or 9:30 pm EST...

It's about 9:30 EST right now, are these matches actually starting soon then?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
That final thirty-two was ridiculous. Strongest field ever?

Maybe.

IMNSHO that is why SVB has decided to pass on these international world's best events.

SVB is the biggest fish in his pond and he has decided that is better then being an average sized shark in a ocean full of sharks.

SVB is the only American who could even hope to compete in this type of event, but he is in no way a favorite to win it. Guys like Wu, Chang, Corteza, Kuo, Orcullo, them and about 10 other guys in these events are simply flat out better, they are the true elites and the quick exit of guys like Hohmann, Boyes, Appleton, ect... simply shows this is a different level.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... SVB is the only American who could even hope to compete in this type of event ...

From what I just saw of Al-Shaheen in the semi-finals, I'd bet on lots of Americans to beat him. But I guess he beat some good players on the way to the semi-finals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Maybe.

SVB is the only American who could even hope to compete in this type of event, but he is in no way a favorite to win it. Guys like Wu, Chang, Corteza, Kuo, Orcullo, them and about 10 other guys in these events are simply flat out better, they are the true elites and the quick exit of guys like Hohmann, Boyes, Appleton, ect... simply shows this is a different level.

In fairness, Celtic, both Hohmann, winner of both a China Open and a Phillipines Open in recent years, and Appleton, who is reigning WPA World 9-ball champion, have prevailed over fields of this quality on Asian soil, and, of course, Souquet has many triumphs in Asia, but I agree that this is a completely different level of competition.

We have long known of the depth of the talent pool in Asia, and it seems to grow deeper and deeper by the year. Shane has played in his share of WPA events overseas with little success, but he definitely has what it takes to snap off one of these events. He may well be the only American capable of winning an event at this level right now, just as he was the lone American among the last eight at the US Open last year.

Nonetheless, I've posted it before, and I'll say it again, anyone who wants to be called the best on the planet needs to snap off some of these WPA events to prove it.

Last edited:

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tuned in. So Wu is losing right now, trailing 2 to 6.

I am routing for Lee Van in the finals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Am I imagining it or are the tables playing pretty loose? Seems a lot of balls are going in off the rails, especially on the break.

This, if I'm right, reduces the advantage normally enjoyed by the most elite pocketers. For my money, the world's five best ball pocketers are Dennis Orcullo, JL Chang, Darren Appleton, Ralf Souquet and the absent Shane Van Boening. All five are also exceptional breakers, but this edge is partly neutralized, too, by loose pockets.

Not wanting to take anything away for the overwhelming brilliance of those that remain, but wonder if this explains the results in part.

The quality of the play in this event is simply amazing. What a display of championship level pool!

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Am I imagining it or are the tables playing pretty loose? Seems a lot of balls are going in off the rails, especially on the break.

This, if I'm right, reduces the advantage normally enjoyed by the most elite pocketers. For my money, the world's five best ball pocketers are Dennis Orcullo, JL Chang, Darren Appleton, Ralf Souquet and the absent Shane Van Boening. All five are also exceptional breakers, but this edge is partly neutralized, too, by lose pockets.

Not wanting to take anything away for the overwhelming brilliance of those that remain, but wonder if this explains the results in part.

The quality of the play in this event is simply amazing. What a display of championship level pool!

The tables do seem loose, the pockets on the big side and forgiving. For this quality of field, I think the tables should play tougher. I prefer winner breaks as well. Having said that, Fu is playing great.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fu is putting the hammer down on the "Zen Master". Wu has made a few careless mistakes and paid for every one. I don't remember any Fu mistakes but if there were any they were of no consequence.

Both have made some great shots and it shows how deep the talent in Asia is