Chris Melling's 4 rail bank shot

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure all those people pooh poohing this shot as no big deal will have no problem finding a bunch of examples of other 4-rail banks in professional rotation tournaments. Let's see them!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure all those people pooh poohing this shot as no big deal will have no problem finding a bunch of examples of other 4-rail banks in professional rotation tournaments. Let's see them!

Ever occur to you that "professionals" play better shape so they dont have to play 4 railers.
Melling played shape for what he had- a 4 railer. If it was so "impossible" one had to believe he would have been trying something else.
As DD said you cant know,what you dont know. Now you know;)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever occur to you that "professionals" play better shape so they dont have to play 4 railers.
Melling played shape for what he had- a 4 railer. If it was so "impossible" one had to believe he would have been trying something else.
As DD said you cant know,what you dont know. Now you know;)

Don't you think there's a lot of middle ground between "hanger" and "impossible". And let me try to use your statement back at you (respectfully, of course): If the professionals don't play shape for four railers, and that's why there aren't many videos of it, that means they don't hit them very often. So how is it an easy shot if they don't even play them often enough for it to be captured on video?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe anyone would call that shot a hanger. Even top pros were gushing about it.
That was, by far, the best out I have ever seen.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you think there's a lot of middle ground between "hanger" and "impossible". And let me try to use your statement back at you (respectfully, of course): If the professionals don't play shape for four railers, and that's why there aren't many videos of it, that means they don't hit them very often. So how is it an easy shot if they don't even play them often enough for it to be captured on video?

Respectfully, I never said it was either a "hangar" or,"impossible". I said and still insist it was "what he had".
Mika applauded the run as do I.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe anyone would call that shot a hanger. Even top pros were gushing about it.
That was, by far, the best out I have ever seen.

They were gushing about the whole out.... the 4 railer isn't hard... max a 50/50 shot for anyone that knows it.

I don't really know the shot but I set it up and made it on the 3rd try.... then made it 7 times in a row... I kid you not!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were gushing about the whole out.... the 4 railer isn't hard... max a 50/50 shot for anyone that knows it.

I don't really know the shot but I set it up and made it on the 3rd try.... then made it 7 times in a row... I kid you not!

The whole out was amazing. That timing shot to get it started was crazy.
I believe you on the 4 railer but what makes it so impressive is that he did it during a match, no do-overs, and with traffic, knowing that if it doesn't go Mika most likely gets up and runs out.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Respectfully, I never said it was either a "hangar" or,"impossible". I said and still insist it was "what he had".
Mika applauded the run as do I.

Sorry, I thought you were the one who used the word "impossible", maybe you were quoting someone else. I think there are two basic camps in this thread, those who think it was very easy, and those saying it wasn't so easy.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member

A 50/50 shot? In competition? I don't think so. Maybe setting it up possibly. I'd love to see the video of your making it 7 times in a row uncut. That's pretty impressive on any table, yet alone a 9' table with 4" pockets.

The thing to remember, he did this in a streamed match, on a very tough table and he only got one shot. No ball in hand, tons of traffic, no practice shots nada. To say it's a 50/50 shot under these circumstances is laughable at best. It was the best run out I've ever seen. YMMV

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an old timer in his 60's and still stuck in the 70's,,,that was the damn best out I ever saw in 8 Ball. Don't know if you will ,or not, take my word for it, but I have seen some great outs. My 2 cents issued :eek:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh, he had 3 easy shots that rack.

[and he made two 4-railers in traffic]

:wink:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yeah, only in a pool can a guy shoot terrific enough that a 4-time world champion is excited about it, not to mention the collective pool world, that a nobody from nowhere that has done nothing in pool says, "eh, not so special". Gotta love the rail birds ;)

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Yeah, only in a pool can a guy shoot terrific enough that a 4-time world champion is excited about it, not to mention the collective pool world, that a nobody from nowhere that has done nothing in pool says, "eh, not so special". Gotta love the rail birds ;)

good post!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Which is exactly why I made the comment. 20-ish years ago I blew a sawbuck buying
a friend in the Calcutta of a local 9 ball tournament, even tho Archer was in it.
He happened to be in town, probably on the way to somewhere.

On that night, in the Oakley poolroom, there were maybe a dozen players who
would have bet their house they could have made that 4 railer.

Gary Spaeth was not in the room that Monday evening.

ps:

While I'm at it, to continue my task of teaching the criminally uninformed about the basics of
Bank Pool - tho you wouldn't play it because of the game and the possible impact of the 8 ball,
banking the ball 1 rail into the corner pocket is a much harder shot than the 4 rail he shot.
Esp on those pockets, I would think.

Dale

Last edited: