CJ asked a question about eye dominance "ask the insturtor forum"

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't make any "dominant eye adjustment." I keep my personal vision center directly over the line of the shot during the entire pre-shot routine. Ideally, there should be no visual alignment shifting while down in the stance.

Regards,
Dave

Do you have even vision ?

if not does your cue run more to the dominate eye ? the right or left side of your chin

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a very good player -A true former "professional"-shooting and I noticed
his cue shifted from ctr of chin to either left or right eye. He is poster here so I sent
him a p,m, asking if he is aware of this,and if so ,is there a reason?
Unfortunately he never replied.Has anyone noticed other good players doing this?

I can only imagine he did this to help when applying english (side)

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I don't make any "dominant eye adjustment." I keep my personal vision center directly over the line of the shot during the entire pre-shot routine. Ideally, there should be no visual alignment shifting while down in the stance.

Regards,
Dave

I agree with you 100 percent and this helps me make straight in shots which are my hardest.

I am going to experiment with left eye over cue for some shots to see if it gives me an edge for when playing rub shots. I have missed them and really irks me some because they appear to me to lined up perfectly. Its a devastating mistake in One Pocket.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you have even vision? if not does your cue run more to the dominate eye ? the right or left side of your chin
If you mean: "Do I have a dominant eye?" I'm not sure because the standard tests for this give me mixed results. Regardless, my vision center position is with my cue directly centered between my eyes in the center of the chin.

"Occular dominance" isn't necessarily related to one's best "vision center" position in pool. Repeating what I wrote in a previous post:

For some people (e.g., those with extreme eye dominance), the "vision center" position is with the dominant eye directly over the cue. For many people, the "vision center" position is with the cue centered exactly between the eyes, regardless of which eye might be "dominant" or not. And for some people, the "vision center" position is with the cue somewhere between (but not centered) or outside of the eyes, regardless of which eye might be "dominant" or not.

IMO, it is best to ignore which eye one might think is dominant or not and just determine your "vision center" position with simple drills. A key fundamental of pool is having your eyes in the right place, and this "right place" is different for each individual. The only way to determine it is with a cue and balls at a table. The standard tests for "ocular dominance" won't necessarily help with this.

Regards,
Dave

DGilb147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you mean: "Do I have a dominant eye?" I'm not sure because the standard tests for this give me mixed results. Regardless, my vision center position is with my cue directly centered between my eyes in the center of the chin.

"Occular dominance" isn't necessarily related to one's best "vision center" position in pool. Repeating what I wrote in a previous post:

For some people (e.g., those with extreme eye dominance), the "vision center" position is with the dominant eye directly over the cue. For many people, the "vision center" position is with the cue centered exactly between the eyes, regardless of which eye might be "dominant" or not. And for some people, the "vision center" position is with the cue somewhere between (but not centered) or outside of the eyes, regardless of which eye might be "dominant" or not.

IMO, it is best to ignore which eye one might think is dominant or not and just determine your "vision center" position with simple drills. A key fundamental of pool is having your eyes in the right place, and this "right place" is different for each individual. The only way to determine it is with a cue and balls at a table. The standard tests for "ocular dominance" won't necessarily help with this.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks Dave for you detailed response

Its what I feel I believe you will naturally drop into the correct position

Sometimes giving more thought to to these things may help your game but
probably because its helping you to concentrate more on the pot

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sometimes giving more thought to to these things may help your game but probably because its helping you to concentrate more on the pot
I agree that people should not think about this (e.g., what eye might be "dominant" or not). Just do the drill to determine your personal vision center position and make sure you consistently align your vision the same way for every shot.

Many people do not naturally align in their "vision center" position, and adjusting their visual alignment can help their game significantly. Visual alignment is a critically important "fundamental" of pool.

Regards,
Dave

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
a mistake that causes "subconscious correction" to make the necessary adjustments

CJ,

I think you misinterpreted comments from me and Geno on this topic.

A stable, comfortable, and consistent stance that allows a good stroke is critically important. A consistent and purposeful pre-shot routine is also important.

I think Geno's point was that if your visual alignment is correct, it doesn't matter where your feet are, or what "hand" you are, or what eye might be "dominant" or not. Obviously, this assumes your stance allows for a consistent and accurate stroke. It also assumes that your pre-shot routine helps you create the necessary line of aim for the shot.

Also, sometimes the stance and feet position must change depending on how close the body is to the table and how far one must reach for a shot. But the one thing that must not change is visual alignment. If a person's vision center is not consistently aligned with the line of a shot (regardless or where the feet are), that person will probably not be successful and consistent.

Regards, and with respect,
Dave

If your visual alignment was correct above the shot, and you didn't have to get down on the shot that would be correct.

Where a player falls into difficulty is not having both sides of the body set (using the feet) and when they come down on the shot their "line" shifts slightly. This is a very subtle "shift" but ends up being a mistake that causes "subconscious correction" to make the necessary adjustments to make the shot. '

When a players starts making all these adjustments without "real eyesing" they can never regroup if they start playing poorly, or an advanced player puts pressure on them.

Just slightly confused

Is the tail wagging the dog?

IMHO is it not more important to make sure you are delivering the cue straight,
this must be more to do with stance alignment and cue action.

I some times check this by closing both eyes once down on the shot,
you can then feel if you are delivering the cue straight also helps with a good
follow through as you cannot judge the distance between the cue and cue ball.
( I can pot several balls in a row doing this on a 12 x 6 table with a 6 ft potting distance)

So everything for me happens when I approach the table and get down to the shot
while standing before dropping into the shot my are eyes firmly fixed on the spot of the object ball I need to hit.

This begs the question at what point does eye dominance come into play?

I would suggest very little when you are a few feet away stepping into the shot.

So is it just a matter of just moving your chin to the left or right once down on the shot if one eye dominate?

Are you Dave Gilbert?