Classification

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
I'd like to get a general feel for all this A and B player jazz. We gotta lot of knowledge here and would like to get the experts to weigh in....

As I understand it, and open/pro player is just that...tops....one of the best players in the state, somebody who could play a big event and bring home the cheese....

As far as the A-D stuff, let's say you have your monthly handi tournament (no pros) with a $50 buy-in that draws a great crowd.....50 people with a 2 or 3 hour drive....

Out of 50 players:
A - the top 5 people in the room, the heavy favorites to win the tournament.....if they are hot, a 4-pack is coming your way
B - the next 25 people, all solid players, but not likely to win....they'll put a 2-pack on ya if they are on...
C - the next 15 people, good players but not likley to get in the money, but they'll run a rack here or there, don't understimate them...
D - the bottom 5, likely they are aware they are donating, but they are solid, know the rules, and like to play....

Is that kinda how it works??? I hear people refer to this stuff all the time, but it's never really qualified....

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of old threads but here is how it goes

Banger is well, . . . a ball banger. First time player up to "C" player.

C Player: The typical recreational player. Plays regularly but doesn't have any real goals in pool. Never heard of AZB.

B and A players: Posts on AZB.

Shortstop: Low pro level or very close, can beat anyone on a given day on his home turf. Occasionally posts on AZB trying to stir up action, very few are regulars.

Pro: Almost never posts on AZB. Those that do usually soon discover it isn't an effective use of their time.

Hu

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
A-C players usually refers to league status.

C players are the "typical" handicap league players. They're in a handicap league so, while they may not win that many games, their team may win due to the handicapping system. Not likely to run a rack, but do on occasion.

B players are usually those who have gotten tired of the C system, and prefer a head to head type of match ups with players of the same skill set.
They have a better idea of what is going on, on a table. Better control, better pattern play, better safety play, but run out's are not all THAT common.

A players are those players that are a bit more serious about the game. Look forward to playing other strong teams. Enjoy having their games tested in that if you miss, chances are you'll be shooting at a rail your next turn if you get one, and you'll probably loose.

D players are those 'types' of players that view pool and leagues as good reasons to get drunk, socialize, and kick it up for a few hours. If you get a chance to read Samm Diep's book, "You might be a 'D' player if...." some time, it pretty well sums it up.

That's the way I see them...

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, why not, I'll bite...

"A" players are good

"B" players want to be "A" players, and have actually seen them play.

"C" players are the "tweeners", guys that dominate the bar scene, can put a rack or two together on the rare occasion, are either knowledgeable OR consistent at what they know, and are still "star struck" when watching a good "B" or above.

"D" players are often the best players that they know, and think that "C" players are lucky winners.

How's that for simplicity?