Cleaning billiard balls (seem hazy) ??

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree, car wax is not the ideal for billiard balls, though some seem to like it.

As K2, myself, and others have said, the Aramith cleaner, and restorer, for that matter, are formulated for billiard balls. I recommend them over auto products, which are designed for paint and clearcoat surfaces, with sun protection.

If, however, you absolutely must use an auto product, I would use a combination cleaner/polish, such as Klasse, which does work on products other than auto paint. I doubt seriously it would be better than Aramith, but if your craving is auto products, I suspect it's better than wax.

Stick to Aramith. But, I'll give it a little footnote. If you can get your hands on some Keickhefer's Billiard Ball Polish, it is also very good. Considering it's been out of production, I believe, since the 1970s, I don't think many will come across it.

I have a diamond single platter ball cleaner/polisher. On the diamond website, they recommend Meguiar’s Ultimate Detail wax.It works very well on the OB's. On the QB, it has the same effect on pool as , Fast Simonis 860, Faster Simonis 860 HR, and super Fast Simonis 760. Also, the same effect as LD shafts have had on the game. All of that has made pool much easier to play, especially for players with very little 'stroke'. A waxed QB has about the same effect on the game as LD's have....makes it easier to move 'Whitey'. I play with a 1973 JOSS cue. A waxed QB is much cheaper than an LD and does about the same thing , but with no 'Learning curve' on how to aim..
Good luck all.

http://www.diamondbilliards.com/Accessories/BallPolishers.aspx

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Now I'm curious what you recommend for pool cues,,,,,,,

That's easy. Clean hands.

But, I take it as a serious question, so here would be my tips. Keep the ferrule clean, and no sandpaper on the shaft. Damp paper towel followed by the cue papers is fine when needed. Cue Slik is a good addition now and then.

The butt doesn't need much. But clean the joint pin now and then with a paper towel, and run a paper towel up the shaft tenon, and back out, to keep it clean. Assuming the butt has the modern two part finish, no need to put anything on it but a soft cloth to get your fingerprints and grime off. Now and then, the wrap can benefit with a damp cloth followed by buffing, but it isn't really necessary.

No need for many chemicals.

All the best,
WW

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I said I use wax on my Brunswick Centenials, and I have for a very long time. I never said I use it on my Cueball, which is a measel ball by Aramith.

Even if you dont use wax on the cue ball wax on the object balls will cause unrealistic amounts of throw. It will affect cut shots, banks, combinations, and shots using english.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if you dont use wax on the cue ball wax on the object balls will cause unrealistic amounts of throw. It will affect cut shots, banks, combinations, and shots using english.

Damn, and I thought I was just cutting them pretty good. So you say wax, which makes them slicker, makes them throw more? Or are you just repeating what you heard somewhere? So let me get this straight, I go to different pool rooms where ball conditions vary from table to table, and thats good as long as they aren't waxed. yet I wax my own balls every few months on my own table and that is a horrible thing. I ain't telling anyone what to do with there ball sets, but dammit I wax mine when I want to. And besides, the op asked if his balls need a polish because he washed them and they are hazy, so yes, they do, whether he uses a wax or not they still need polishing.

Last edited: