Color of Money

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
I like this white car from Eddie, what kind of brand or model is it?
When was it build?
Any screenshots of Eddies car or similar pictures available?

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
"it is slightly better than Pool Hall Junkies. PHJ's had 20 year olds playing for $5000 like it was nothing."

Gotta love Christopher Walkins part in the movie though! The story about the lion. I agree with your assessment of the rest of the movie.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from having Newman in it and some nicely done pool shots, not a very well made movie.

If you read the book you can't help notice that it doesn't even remotely follow the storyline. No Vince in the book, no Fats in the movie.

J

In case nobody ever caught it, yes the screenplay was different from the book, but Vince is a composite of Babes Cooley and Earl Borchard, the brash young players that Eddie gets pissed off about in the book. What Eddie deems wrong with the current game.

I still think a third movie could be made following the book closer. Just make the main character Vince. Years after his rivalry with Eddie. Eddies dead, Vince is getting divorced and losing his pool hall etc.
Chuck

tulipplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love tcom and phj. Watched them both countless times and will watch them again. The hustler is just classic.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Newman's acting

I thought Paul Newman's acting in The Color of Money was great. I thought the pool in The Hustler was better ... I think some of the shots were actually done by Mosconi.

I believe that Newman once said he thought that his greatest acting was in the Hustler. His academy award for COM was a make-up call for not getting the Oscar for The Hustler. I always thought that Piper Laurie should have won an Oscar as well.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I believe that Newman once said he thought that his greatest acting was in the Hustler. His academy award for COM was a make-up call for not getting the Oscar for The Hustler. I always thought that Piper Laurie should have won an Oscar as well.

Yep. She was a fantastic actress ;)

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

How about George C. Scott. How great was he in The Hustler? Watched it again the other night. It gets better and better. I probably watch it every 6 to 8 months. TCOM doesn't hold a candle to The Hustler. Those days are gone.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably, one of the 'WORST' pool related movies of ALL TIME!
'The Hustler' could spot it the 2 and the break!

Number13cfan

You must have not seen any of the low budget pool movies....most of them are absolutely terrible. I am not saying the Color Of Money is good or anything, but it is much better then some of the pool movies that have been made in the last decade or so. I know that may be hard to believe. :)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Best Actor Award

Paul Newman enjoyed doing his role in C.M. because, he said it was the only time in his acting career where he got to act in a similar setting/role twice, because of this he was able to be at his best the second time around. I'm sure Paul walked into a few pool rooms after his Hustler years' were released. In those old style rooms there was always some kind of structure and pecking order going on everywhere and Paul could improve upon his character.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about George C. Scott. How great was he in The Hustler? Watched it again the other night. It gets better and better. I probably watch it every 6 to 8 months. TCOM doesn't hold a candle to The Hustler. Those days are gone.

Excellent character and amazing acting by George c. Scott. The way he acts with his eyes and no dialogue makes it special. Most of today's actors want the huge speeches and endless dialogue to give the character weight. Not George, just give him a cigarette and a chair in the corner.

"Stick with this kid. He's a loser"

Priceless.

Stroker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Fast Eddie Felson" resided in San Antonio, Texas. His adopted Hometown. He even came to a club in Lampasas, Tx. and put on an exhibition there before he left this old world. He passed Feb. 2, 2001 at a pool tournament in South Padre island.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Paul Newman enjoyed doing his role in C.M. because, he said it was the only time in his acting career where he got to act in a similar setting/role twice, because of this he was able to be at his best the second time around. I'm sure Paul walked into a few pool rooms after his Hustler years' were released. In those old style rooms there was always some kind of structure and pecking order going on everywhere and Paul could improve upon his character.

Clearly there is no comparison whatsoever between Paul Newman's acting performances in The Hustler and TCOM. Paul Newman was magnificent in The Hustler and barely acceptable in TCOM.

But in all fairness, in most cases an actor must work within the restraints of the screenplay, his fellow actors, and the production itself. Clearly TCOM could not stand up to The Hustler, different levels entirely.

J

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" The Hustler " the novel by Walter Tevis had none of the romantic melodrama that was injected into the movie. It was just a very well written terse rendering of the pool world.

I liked the book very much and also thought the movie is a classic. There is much more pool in the book than in the movie.

TCOM was great for pool if not a great movie compared to the " Hustler "..