Color or Money goof?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
But what doesn't make sense in the scene in the movie -- linked above -- is that Amos seems to have pocketed several balls at the left end of the table first. (The shots are not shown -- we only see Amos.) And the cue ball seems not to have moved from where we first see it at the start of the scene.
Easter egg = inside joke, that fans are intended to discover in a television show or movie.
Possible but not probable as far as being on the 2 ball after multiple successful strokes playing 9 ball. The scene could have been choreographed a little better but the story line is the focus. 🤷‍♂️

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But what doesn't make sense in the scene in the movie -- linked above -- is that Amos seems to have pocketed several balls at the left end of the table first. (The shots are not shown -- we only see Amos.) And the cue ball seems not to have moved from where we first see it at the start of the scene.
Made the 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, on the break and left himself hooked on the 2. Pushed out to a kick-combo on the 9, which fast eddie busted dead center. :)

RT Ford

I remember seeing a scene in 'The Color Of Money' where there must have been a number of 'takes', and the ball Vincent was shooting changed position. I'd have to watch it again to tell you where it was. There are usually errors in most movies.

m00sebumps

I remember seeing a scene in 'The Color Of Money' where there must have been a number of 'takes', and the ball Vincent was shooting changed position. I'd have to watch it again to tell you where it was. There are usually errors in most movies.
I think it's the werewolves of london scene when he's taking the one handed shot. they show him set up and its really severe angle and then they change cameras and it is a much more straight in shot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Easter egg = inside joke, that fans are intended to discover in a television show or movie.
Possible but not probable as far as being on the 2 ball after multiple successful strokes playing 9 ball. The scene could have been choreographed a little better but the story line is the focus. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, when I first saw the scene, I wasn't looking at the table at all.

IMDB has a place where fanatics can post "goofs". Here's one of them:

1711656173844.png

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It only gets worse. Play the scene from the beginning at .25 speed and notice Amos stroking at the 1. Meanwhile the real CB is sitting squarely in the middle of the table. Then he shoots the 1 directly into the side without striking anything else.

You can’t take this stuff seriously. Movies are exhibitions for bad habits and poor play. Dramatic entertainment only.

And yes, the combo Eddie hits is the 6-9 even with the 3 sitting right next to it. Watch a higher def version to see.

Justaneng

Registered
If there’s one thing I’ve learned from pool scenes in movies is that you’re guaranteed to have at least one wired combo or carom opportunity per rack.

Your opponent and any onlookers, who all frequent pool halls, will act like they’ve never seen such mastery of the table.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the ‘lady is actually sawed in half’ believers. Just play the scene back super slo-mo with a decent quality copy, not a 144-240p example.

The table layout at the scene beginning. Amos cues up the 1 ball and shoots it directly into the side. Meanwhile the CB is to the right.

IMG_0127.jpeg

Getting ready to shoot…

IMG_0128.jpeg

It’s the 6, not the 2. But yes, the 3 is right next door. The Wizard of Oz and a goof all wrapped up in one.

IMG_0129.jpeg

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Well back in the day it was the 2 that was blue. So understandable how both would see it as a game winner.
Oh the 6 Ball Blues. What a twist the plot has taken.
I did see a player make 3 consecutive 9 ball breaks with his opponent racking. At 10 a game he slept the payment of the third. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe intentionally, he was playing a Good Customer.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
For the ‘lady is actually sawed in half’ believers. Just play the scene back super slo-mo with a decent quality copy, not a 144-240p example.

The table layout at the scene beginning. Amos cues up the 1 ball and shoots it directly into the side. Meanwhile the CB is to the right.

View attachment 751293

Getting ready to shoot…

View attachment 751294

It’s the 6, not the 2. But yes, the 3 is right next door. The Wizard of Oz and a goof all wrapped up in one.

View attachment 751295
Have I been vindicated?

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have I been vindicated?

Absolutely 😄

All these years watching that scene I was sure it was a combo off the 6 but assumed the 7 was sitting next door. Funny it’s the 3.

I was surprised to find Whitaker didn’t even use a cue ball in those shots.

It’d be great to hear Sigel provide some insight on how he worked with the film crew to orchestrate these scenes.