Conceding the game match.... Really?

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Just saw Li He Wen concede the hill game (10-8, race to 11) vs. Albin Ouschan in the Qatar 9-ball World Champ tournament after missing the 3 ball, with relatively open rack and 6 balls remaining?

Dude was only down two games and nerves kicking in for both players... WTF? Granted, Albin Ouschan is a top European player, but does anyone deserve "that" much respect?

I could understand if Li He Wen was down 10-1, or even 10-5.... but at 10-8 in alternate break format he's only one or two rolls away from being hill-hill.

I don't get that? Someone please explain it to me?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Quite frankly I'm not a fan of having any concessions. Play them out and shoot the balls in the hole. That's what fans want to see. Also, if anyone doesn't think crazy stuff can happen at any point should go right now and buy the dvd of "The Miss" from Accu-Stats.

NigelTsao

Registered
it also happen the chang jung lin n svb match.. svb plays safe, chang jump n scratch, three balls on the table he concedes..i think li he wen is pissed with himself...

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I once had a player give me a game when he missed the four. I looked at him like, "why did you do that?" He looked at me and shook his head and started racking. I might run 2 out of 5 when im shooting in the zone.

Me personally, I dont like giving anyone a game and dont think it should be allowed.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw Li He Wen concede the hill game (10-8, race to 11) vs. Albin Ouschan in the Qatar 9-ball World Champ tournament after missing the 3 ball, with relatively open rack and 6 balls remaining?

Dude was only down two games and nerves kicking in for both players... WTF? Granted, Albin Ouschan is a top European player, but does anyone deserve "that" much respect?

I could understand if Li He Wen was down 10-1, or even 10-5.... but at 10-8 in alternate break format he's only one or two rolls away from being hill-hill.

Yes I saw last part of that rack. Didn't see who broke that rack
So question is Did Li or Ouschan break that rack? cos that will make difference to his decision

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quite frankly I'm not a fan of having any concessions. Play them out and shoot the balls in the hole. That's what fans want to see. Also, if anyone doesn't think crazy stuff can happen at any point should go right now and buy the dvd of "The Miss" from Accu-Stats.

However there were almost no fans there. But I get your point.:wink:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

The concession was done out of frustration and anger with himself. It was crazy to do, particularly with all the pressure that is on the opponent to run out the last rack to close out a match deep in a world championship event. Even dogging a routine out is not unheard of under those circumstances and any concession is silly when you aren't far behind.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think it's a function of respect, but one of frustration.
It has to be extremely aggravating to make mistakes over there.

I think conceding provides for a bit of "relief."
Specifically, the undertone seems to be one of...
"Fu*@ it, I quit! Don't even bother shooting anymore!"
That kind of frustration crosses all cultures and languages.

liakos

Banned

Not to toot my own horn, but I've been working a lot lately and my game is way off now! Anyway, last night I had the time to play at snookers Rhode island Wednesday tourney! I lost my first match, and won my second! The second match my opponent was on the hill and I had 0! It was a 5-4 race, I had to go to 5 and he was on the hill. I couldn't make a ball to save my life. At one point he plays me safe,(good one too) and I miss the ball giving him BIH! He goes for the easy win, 3-9 combo, I could of easily given it to him, the 9 was hanging by the side, but no, I didn't, and I never do!!! He scratches behind the 9! Long story short, I caught my gear, and won 5-3! Alternate breaks mind you! The only time I give up the last shot or 2 is when I'm playing close friends! Other than that, you're shooting mister,,,,, until the game ball drops and the rock is stopped ON the table;)

Moral of the story,,,, it's never too late, if the game is still being played! Play your best, ALWAYS!:)

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Morra had conceded early too. He was about 3 games down and conceded mid-game with about 4 balls on the table. Score might've been something like 7-3 race to 9. I was shocked.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People don't concede out of respect. They concede because they feel powerless against what is about to happen. They exercise the only power left to them.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It took them forever to get that much footage.

Think about the million games that doesn't happen in, not the 100 it does.

Conceding out of respect is one thing, conceding out of anger is another.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he wen broke that rack he conceded

Thanks. Probably Li was angry with himself that he gave up one more chance to Ouschan to win. Cos even if Ouschan does not run out he will break for next rack
Probably also cos Ouschan must be breaking well and playing flawless pool before that that Li felt almost no chance.
He should not have conceded but it is not crazy insane. Conceding if he was losing 9-10 at that point would be crazy insane :)