Congratulations mark wilson

30REBORNFAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well stated, you are more diplomatic than I am for sure.
Players play, coach's coach.
Wilson did not cut it; he was a spectator, a mummy. The U.S. team should have been working out 2 hours before the Euros and 2 hours after.

I am the coach, you do as I tell you, or suffer consequences, if you don't like it stay home, I will replace you tomorrow. I am not a player, I am not here to be your friend, I am here to coach and train you, to get the best out of your god given ability to play a game.

I am in charge and in control of every situation. You get in the practice room at 9 am, you stop when I say you stop. We are not traveling across the ocean for you to sleep until 12:00.

Let me coach and you play, when it's all over we celebrate, win or lose.

He may as well watched it on the stream, his presence as a leader was nowhere to be seen. Some of the things that were going on needed to be addressed right there on the spot, he sat there with a dopey look on his face while his players were having a meltdown.

I heard the commentator say,Coach Mark Wilson may have to address this later on in the hotel room.Yea, let's wait until the building burns down before we try to escape, another Rocket Scientist afraid to open his mouth, or not aware of what was happening right in front of him.

He should have said Coach Mark Wilson better call time out or in between games have a talk with his players, this is getting out of control, these guys are falling apart mentally.

Can't argue with any of that. Maybe my diplomacy comes from sitting on the European side of the fence. :wink:

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good News - Mark Wilson has decided to carry on as Captain of the US Mosconi Team. He is the first USA NON PLAYING Captain to get two consecutive terms.

He must have mixed feelings about losing his right to hand pick a complete team as Matchroom have come up with a plan to use their own rankings to fill three of the five spots. But Mark was handed a tough, time consuming task to raise money to publicise team activities. But in the end he was let down by the inability of his players to develop a genuine work ethic.- SVB excepted. There was a massive difference between the atmosphere in the two practice rooms in Blackpool.
The Euros would arrive by 11am each day while first US players showed up two hours later, With a full schedule of things that needed his attention, Mark mistakenly believed that these players were seasoned enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

So maybe he will be able to devote more time to this aspect instead of his more administrative role he got bogged down with in his first term.
I still firmly believe that he is the best man for the job.

O yay everybody jump for joy that Mark Wilson is going to be captain again. At least he can't handpick the team again

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quality rather than Quantity of tournaments

Ok, looked at it. Tell me how the European calendar compares to the events in the US?

The Euro Tour currently shows 4 events on their calendar (plus 1 completed since the last Mosconi), although the Matchroom announcement mentions a 5th in Germany in June. Lets say they eventually add one or two more.

Let's see, in the US by the time the next Mosconi comes around there will have been 2 Turning Stones, Us Open, SBE, Derby, US Bar Tables, World's 14.1 Event, and a number of other huge events such as Texas Open and a few large events in NY and LA areas.

European superiority doesn't extend to the events being offered. Maybe another reason why the likes Appleton, Shaw, Mika, and Hohmann are all here.

4 Events in Europe you say? Are you looking at the same EPBF web site that I am? Add that to the US events that the Europeans participate in and they are clearly tournament tougher.

It is more the Quality rather than Quantity of tourneys
I don't think tourneys have rating system like other sports. I mean we know the majors like W9B, W8B,W10B, USO CO, AJ which will be highest 5 stars rating but other than those majors,there is no objective rating system to determine which tourney is rated higher or lower than another. Tourneys that have huge number of amateurs/dead money are just lower quality. There are players that win many lower quality (lower rated) tourneys but have difficulty getting into quarterfinals or higher of a major like W9B, W8B,W10B, USO CO, AJ
It is still very very hard and a big deal for a non-elite player to snap off a major :D

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Quiet coach!

Well stated, you are more diplomatic than I am for sure.
Players play, coach's coach.
Wilson did not cut it; he was a spectator, a mummy. The U.S. team should have been working out 2 hours before the Euros and 2 hours after.

I am the coach, you do as I tell you, or suffer consequences, if you don't like it stay home, I will replace you tomorrow. I am not a player, I am not here to be your friend, I am here to coach and train you, to get the best out of your god given ability to play a game.

I am in charge and in control of every situation. You get in the practice room at 9 am, you stop when I say you stop. We are not traveling across the ocean for you to sleep until 12:00.

Let me coach and you play, when it's all over we celebrate, win or lose.

He may as well watched it on the stream, his presence as a leader was nowhere to be seen. Some of the things that were going on needed to be addressed right there on the spot, he sat there with a dopey look on his face while his players were having a meltdown.

I heard the commentator say,Coach Mark Wilson may have to address this later on in the hotel room.Yea, let's wait until the building burns down before we try to escape, another Rocket Scientist afraid to open his mouth, or not aware of what was happening right in front of him.

He should have said Coach Mark Wilson better call time out or in between games have a talk with his players, this is getting out of control, these guys are falling apart mentally.

Phil Jackson was a very "quiet" coach. He had a bit of success.

It's easy to criticize. Try filling Mark's shoes and see how you do the first time on an international stage. The European's coach is rather quiet...didn't seem to hurt their team too much.

I have no problem with Mark as a coach or the players he chose. They just got defeated by a superior team that week. No need to blame anyone.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Mark Wilson, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, or whomever..... I think the first issue is a European entity dictating the criteria for how the American team is selected. It seems to me, and I may be incorrect, that the European players attend most, if not all, the Euro events, while the American players usually have to go where the money is, and that's not always a tournament venue.

For some reason the Euros seem to specilaize in much shorter races, when you see the top Americans match up it's a race to 25 or 50 and in a couple of diff6erent diciplines over a two or three day period. I don't keep a close eye on Europe or the Euro players, do they get together for big money challange matches? For instance, is there a European TAR or something like that?

While it's plain to see pool and the image of pool in general is suffering here in the USA it's not without hope. The pertnent things about the Mosconi Cup would seem to be to the advantage of the Euros, and I doubt that Matchroom is going to take the races from five to at least 9, 11 or 15 anytime soon.

The Mosconi Cup is an exibition that's built for broadcasting so it has to go quickly to maintain interest and sponsorship. I believe the hope for the Americans, since they can no longer just rely on superior talent, is to build a team that will also specialize in the shorter race and playing as a team.

After watching the past few Mosconi Cups one of the most relevent things to me is that Team Europe presents as a team with the coach/captain heavily involved, while Team USA appears to be a few individuals and a guy in a Team USA jacket that sits in the bleachers manages to catch a few innings of a game or two between conversations. The coach of Team USA appears to be a very titular position.

I understand that Mark Wilson is an excellent pool mind and teacher, but it seems that the players benefited very little from his expertise and his experience.

If the US Mosconi Cup has to be selected based on points, as Matchroom has stated, then maybe it should be selected from the prior year's points, or from points from the pervious June through December so the team can be in place by March or April to establish a real team unit and play and gain some experience in exibition events that are short races.

I don't believe the Euros are superior talent-wise, I think at that level of pool things are reasonably even among players, but still, someone has to win and someone has to lose.
The Euros, for now, just seem to better at the current format that is the Mosconi Cup

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I could also bring up the audience participation factor. A coach has no control over that.

It seems no matter where the Mosconi Cup is held - Europe or America - the European audience is far more a greater factor than the Americans.

Almost every shot the American team took which rolled even six inches past ideal position - there were the usual shouts of whoah! and oh no! Even though the Americans were still in position for a run out.

But when the Euro squad had a bad roll or played poor position it was crickets.

Even two years ago in Vegas - the American audience will not get rowdy for the most part. Sure there are some, but its just not on par with the Euro audience.

This is just an observation of a factor the coach has no control over, not an excuse. I wish I lived closer to vegas. If the mosconi cup was held in NY or in the north east, I'd be there and make it the equivalent of Seattle stadium and the 12th man noise factor. If Michaela Tab is not warning me twice every match to settle down then I'm not doing my part. :grin:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson, Nick Varner, Johnny Archer, or whomever..... I think the first issue is a European entity dictating the criteria for how the American team is selected. It seems to me, and I may be incorrect, that the European players attend most, if not all, the Euro events, while the American players usually have to go where the money is, and that's not always a tournament venue.

For some reason the Euros seem to specilaize in much shorter races, when you see the top Americans match up it's a race to 25 or 50 and in a couple of diff6erent diciplines over a two or three day period. I don't keep a close eye on Europe or the Euro players, do they get together for big money challange matches? For instance, is there a European TAR or something like that?

While it's plain to see pool and the image of pool in general is suffering here in the USA it's not without hope. The pertnent things about the Mosconi Cup would seem to be to the advantage of the Euros, and I doubt that Matchroom is going to take the races from five to at least 9, 11 or 15 anytime soon.

The Mosconi Cup is an exibition that's built for broadcasting so it has to go quickly to maintain interest and sponsorship. I believe the hope for the Americans, since they can no longer just rely on superior talent, is to build a team that will also specialize in the shorter race and playing as a team.

After watching the past few Mosconi Cups one of the most relevent things to me is that Team Europe presents as a team with the coach/captain heavily involved, while Team USA appears to be a few individuals and a guy in a Team USA jacket that sits in the bleachers manages to catch a few innings of a game or two between conversations. The coach of Team USA appears to be a very titular position.

I understand that Mark Wilson is an excellent pool mind and teacher, but it seems that the players benefited very little from his expertise and his experience.

If the US Mosconi Cup has to be selected based on points, as Matchroom has stated, then maybe it should be selected from the prior year's points, or from points from the pervious June through December so the team can be in place by March or April to establish a real team unit and play and gain some experience in exibition events that are short races.

I don't believe the Euros are superior talent-wise, I think at that level of pool things are reasonably even among players, but still, someone has to win and someone has to lose.
The Euros, for now, just seem to better at the current format that is the Mosconi Cup

The Euros had several world titles ,, remind me again because I forgot , how many did our players have collectively among them ,,

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
....Even two years ago in Vegas - the American audience will not get rowdy for the most part. Sure there are some, but its just not on par with the Euro audience.

....If Michaela Tab is not warning me twice every match to settle down then I'm not doing my part. :grin:

excuse me -

- Fat albert was the loudmouth yáll heard yelling "USA!", & lots of other crap. he got warned at least once by Michaela. only that English Santa can outyell him.

- when we were front row center, KK9 proudly twiddled his 3-inch flag on a toothpick (compliments of Vagabond). and once, after the Brits had finished chanting Euuuuurup & Michaela threwup her hand of silence, KK9 let out a miserable wimpy peep: eu-rope. she turned around 3 feet from us, looked dead at KK9, dropped her head, and cracked a smile....then warned him.

- i WOO-HOOd & stomped my cowboy boots & whistled, to the point where by Day 2, i was half-horse & my calves were strained & i had bitten through my fingers.

Johnny's wife & kids were verbal too. and Dennis's girlfriend.

but i do get your point. and you're right. you can come sit with us in DEC! ;)

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
there's a whole lot more going on here than anybody knows...let's see if Mark Wilson steps up and gives The real reason for not letting a few of the players that should have been on It...

Mark Wilson does not post here as far as I know. I don't know that he even looks at the forums. To be honest if I were him I would have to ban myself from here as this place could take your own moral down several levels.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excuse me -

- Fat albert was the loudmouth yáll heard yelling "USA!", & lots of other crap. he got warned at least once by Michaela. only that English Santa can outyell him.

- when we were front row center, KK9 proudly twiddled his 3-inch flag on a toothpick (compliments of Vagabond). and once, after the Brits had finished chanting Euuuuurup & Michaela threwup her hand of silence, KK9 let out a miserable wimpy peep: eu-rope. she turned around 3 feet from us, looked dead at KK9, dropped her head, and cracked a smile....then warned him.

- i WOO-HOOd & stomped my cowboy boots & whistled, to the point where by Day 2, i was half-horse & my calves were strained & i had bitten through my fingers.

Johnny's wife & kids were verbal too. and Dennis's girlfriend.

but i do get your point. and you're right. you can come sit with us in DEC! ;)

Psychological warfare. Cheer and yell "uh oh!!" Even when Europe makes a good shot. They do that to the Americans and it breaks concentration...makes them think they missed something. No matter how absurd, it appears to work on team USA.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
The Euros had several world titles ,, remind me again because I forgot , how many did our players have collectively among them ,,

I don't know, how many? I've lost count.
I'm reasomably certain that you have an exact number at your finger tips.
So, really, how many?
I'm also reasonably sure that a veteran team such as the Euros has quite a few and a very young American team had very few, so really, how many?