Congratulations Shane-world pool masters champ

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, great win for Shane. Called best in the world on account of THIS win? No.

Of course, he has won overseas.
I don't hate on Shane, but the day he wins a world-sanctioned title, then all the
"haters" can be put to rest. Until then, the jury is still out.

All you did was simply fan the flames by reminding us that Shane won and by asking the best-in-the-world question in
the same breath.

Not yet, but someday. Be patient.

Just curious, but what exactly are the "World-sanctioned titles" ?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't the US Open 9 Ball a WPA sanctioned event?

Yes it is, but some think because he hasn't won a wpa sanctioned event out of the country then he isn't called a world champion. It's a twisted play on words.

On that note, if a European player like niels Feijen never wins a us open, is he held to the same standard and not called a world champion?

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is, but some think because he hasn't won a wpa sanctioned event out of the country then he isn't called a world champion. It's a twisted play on words.

On that note, if a European player like niels Feijen never wins a us open, is he held to the same standard and not called a world champion?

Correction: while it is played for WPA ranking points, it is not a world championship.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No, it has zero to do with that. He has not won a sanctioned world championship event plain & simple. At some point he probably will but until then, he is not a world champion.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

let's say Shane did not lose to Biado (11-4) in this year's China Open, went through to the last match and actually won the title. we still cant say that he's a world champion. he is just the "China Open Champion" for this year. it would be an awesome achievement for him though since he rarely wins titles outside the US.
if he did not lose to Chang Yu-Lung (11-8) in the quarterfinals of the World 9-Ball Championship, and took the title, then we can say that Shane is a world champion.
as for niels or any other european, if he took the W9B title, then he's a world champion. if he won the US Open, then he's a US Open Champion.

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SO all out soft breaks will be permitted?

Heck, some of the softest 9-ball breaks I ever saw were at the Open this year and they had the three balls past the center pockets rule in effect. Some guys were breaking so slow I could have practically rolled the CB faster by hand, and yet there were only a couple illegal breaks called during all the TV table matches. If these guys are motivated enough, they will continue to figure things out ad infinitum.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's say Shane did not lose to Biado (11-4) in this year's China Open, went through to the last match and actually won the title. we still cant say that he's a world champion. he is just the "China Open Champion" for this year. it would be an awesome achievement for him though since he rarely win titles outside the US.
if he did not lose to Chang Yu-Lung (11-8) in the quarterfinals of the World 9-Ball Championship, and took the title, then we can say that Shane is a world champion.
as for niels or any other european, if he took the W9B title, then he's a world champion. if he won the US Open, then he's a US Open Champion.

+1 Correct
In same way, Corey, Gabe Owen and Jeremy Jones are not called world champions even though they have won US Open
Even Shane himself does not call himself world champion
Great win by Shane bouncing back from bad performance in Accu-stats invy last week- this is a good precursor and prep to the MC big bash up in a fortnight from now. Shane is in stroke, 3 of the Euro MC-Niko, Boyes and Gray playing well. :smile:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's clone his blood, and start injecting it into every US players DNA! Can't hurt! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Actually it can hurt, a lot.

Matching a donor's blood and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions. If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction. This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him. :grin-square:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's say Shane did not lose to Biado (11-4) in this year's China Open, went through to the last match and actually won the title. we still cant say that he's a world champion. he is just the "China Open Champion" for this year. it would be an awesome achievement for him though since he rarely win titles outside the US.

I can see your point with the titles. I was trying to bring to light the double standard that euro champions have when not winning us open, but winning in europe doesn't give them as much bad light as Shane gets when he dominates us opens and in country tournaments but no world wpa singles champion.

There is a double standard here.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“It is an honour to win the World Pool Masters, this is one of the greatest days in my career,” said an emotional Van Boening after he took a standing ovation from the crowd.

“It means a lot to me to win this tournament. I have been playing well over the last six months. Whenever I had a shot I took it down, I only made a couple of mistakes in the last couple of matches.

“I have been trying to win overseas and I have got to the finals of a couple of tournaments, and won the World Cup of Pool in 2008. It has been a battle for the last few years so I am really happy to win today.

- Shane van Boening 11/16/2014

http://www.matchroompool.com/world-...an-boening-wins-partypoker-world-pool-masters

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best?

Where I come from its real easy to know who's best. Once no one wants to bet against him in any match up with anyone, they're the best.

Of course others will beat him many days. Of course other top players will take shots at him to try to earn the title. But anyone that bets against him hates money or is tryin to prove a point. The guy is the favorite any times he screws his cue together.

Y'all don't have to agree with me. That's fine. Just look me up if you want to bet against him. Anytime.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent win for Shane. It's nice to see him win an event overseas, as it's clearly been a bit of a monkey on his back for some time now. You wonder if this is a big step towards a world title.

Where I come from its real easy to know who's best. Once no one wants to bet against him in any match up with anyone, they're the best.

Of course others will beat him many days. Of course other top players will take shots at him to try to earn the title. But anyone that bets against him hates money or is tryin to prove a point. The guy is the favorite any times he screws his cue together.

Y'all don't have to agree with me. That's fine. Just look me up if you want to bet against him. Anytime.

This is kind of a sad indictment of the state of professional pool in general IMO. In no other sport would this be used as a criterion for ranking who the best player was.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Actually it can hurt, a lot.

Matching a donor's blood and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions. If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction. This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him. :grin-square:
Thanks "DR. Lumo"

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Great win congrads too shane can't wait too see him play at the cup along with rest of our team