Contact Point Aiming Illusion

vincett

I think you don't understand the ghost ball system. Can you describe it in your own words?
Ghost ball system. Imagine a ghost ball which duplicate the cue ball, right at the contact point. Aiming toward it from the cue ball and connecting center cueball to center of the ghost ball.

Center to center doesn’t work for long distance objective without a “slight English” as someone said. It gets a larger margin of errors especially with narrower angle and longer distance shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ghost ball system. Imagine a ghost ball which duplicate the cue ball, right at the contact point. Aiming toward it from the cue ball and connecting center cueball to center of the ghost ball.

Center to center doesn’t work for long distance objective without a “slight English” as someone said. It gets a larger margin of errors especially with narrower angle and longer distance shot.
That's the simple, uncorrected ghost ball. Just imagine the ghost ball slightly offset to compensate for the throw. No side spin on the cue ball required.

vincett

That's the simple, uncorrected ghost ball. Just imagine the ghost ball slightly offset to compensate for the throw. No side spin on the cue ball required.
This is where I posted in those long post before. Where and what exactly is this offset ?

This offset start running perpendicular and intersecting the natural line and CP by a 90 degree . Now, as long as the ghost ball center is right onto this then it works. Because with 5 degree variations and margin of errors, the CP changes just enough to miss the long distance shot

This offset is so very specific that you either obtained it by HAMB or, you learn the foundation behind it as I just stated above.

However, there is another instances where the cueball is at 7.5 Diamond and the object ball is all the way up at the 2 Diamond where the 1 ball would be in a rack but slight off by 1/2 a ball. You also have to compensate for this. Together with a long distance sighting, the ghost ball will be smaller and the center of it is also smaller. You either walk over 3/4 of the table and trying to find the “offset” ghost ball…. Or you just compensate with English , side spin

The pros, don’t walk all over like that, they look, sight, prep stroke, lowered into the stance and execute the stroke.

I am saying, the ghost ball under circumstances will be very complicated to aim at and utilize. Throughout this thread, no one mentioned about “offset ghost ball.” I am glad we arrived here rather than blaming on “bad stroke delivery”

There is another system that all the pros utilize, and it isn’t ghost ball. They utilize many systems, unconsciously. But compensating with English is one of it, where “ghost ball” and aiming at it center don’t always work

vincett

Aim to overcut or aim to undercut. You have to know how the balls will mesh, psychics included. Learn about CIT (commonly called throw by laymen) and practice it from various angles with various english. You can add (or cancel if you want to) throw on the OB with spin (playing the CIT purposefully). It's also how pros play every shot. They STROKE it. They know everything needed to properly stroke it. Accounting for throw (at various speeds and spins) often cheating the pocket with the throw on the OB to get better shape or make "impossible" cuts.

We're literally spinning marbles and that's the thing you have to understand. A system will get you close but a stroke will get you there. Most aiming systems don't account for CIT, friction, aka how dirty the balls are etc. You have to learn how that feels through practice.

Pool balls are spheres with friction and gyroscopic forces working on them. Study them by watching how they behave, by staying down after the shot and watching with a clear mind.
Thank you for putting this out more clearly. Yes, how dirty the balls and whether it weight is correct or not, being Aramith or just cheap balls, the table clothes, all play a roles in CIT.

The only way to realize the differences is to accept that Ghost ball don’t always work. Try a few shot with CIT and observe whether the balls are undercutting or overcutting and adjust accordingly.

No aiming system shows you exactly where to aim the cue ball for more than a handful of cut angles. For instance, "fractional" aiming uses the major fractional divisions on the OB's "equator" as targets, but that's only 4 or 5 cut angles - you have to learn to recognize the alignments for angles in between by rote practice, using the few system alignments as "guideposts".

On the other hand, many (most?) players play with no aiming system, learning to recognize the CB/OB alignments/overlaps for all cut angles by rote practice/memorization (sometimes known as the "hit a million balls" method). Aiming systems don't eliminate the need for rote learning, but they can shorten the learning curve. Which one, if any, is best for you is a purely personal choice.

pj
chgo
Yes, many players don’t even realize it. But the CIT as a system is facts and will affect how the game carry out and if one don’t understand it or accept it. They will have doubts/conflicts when there are Wagers on the table. Because without a foundations, the understanding of how/where/why/what caused the variations. A player can often lose the money shot. My friends call it “weak mentality”

As long as one starting to doubt themselves about how/where/why/what, it doesn’t matter how good your stroke delivery is. You would miss the shot

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is where I posted in those long post before. Where and what exactly is this offset ?
For the angle of cut, there will be some amount of throw. How many degrees of throw depends on your equipment and the spin on the cue ball. You have to figure that out first. Then, imagine a new ghost ball that is repositioned very slightly -- no more than 6mm from the first one -- to give a small compensating cut. All of the details you need are explained on Dr. Dave's website.

But in the end, good players aim by feel. Nearly all of them.

dquarasr

Registered
I showed you the picture. In this situation, if you use dead center and ghost ball aiming system, you either undercut it or over cutting it. The degree differences is about 5-10. You will have to compensate it with English. By this time, your “cue stick from center of your cueball will no longer aiming at the center of your ghost ball”. Hence the ghost ball system without compensation will not work
I set it up and drilled it before my last post, my cue tip contacting center of the CB, no left or right spin on the CB. Of course if it’s at a slight angle, you don’t aim center of CB to center of OB. And of course the cue is most definitely followed through precisely lined up with the center of the ghost ball.

The ghost ball is lined up such that if you draw a line through the centers of the CB and the OB, it points at the pocket opening.

I really don’t think you and I have the same understanding of ghost balls, centers, English, and the angles you speak of.

vincett

Oh ghost !! I knew there is some trickery going on with the longest rails and corner pocket. Both the CIT and SIT are in plays. Especially the condition of the table and the balls. This explains why missing the shot by 1/4 Diamond is a thing and why/what I was curious about. At max throw conditions, the 30 degree can be thrown as much as 40-45 degree or an additional 10-15 degree

This is exactly where the ghost ball system don’t always work. I knew ghost ball system had it limitations because it can only cut at most 65-70 degree. While English can do upto 80-85 degree

There are elements uncontrollable at plays, especially tables/balls condition. The best way is to observe the stripes balls live and during the game. This was one essential element that I missed many shots

So, it turned out that even when aiming is at most correctly spotted by using CP, one can only use the ghost ball as a “reference system” to scale but not always a reference system to carry out pocketing shot and money shot.

Thank you everyone for pointing me toward Dr.Dave teachings and videos. Without all of these, I would be left under the rain, crying, don’t understand why I have a solid foundation/understanding of the system, and can still lose the money shot. Especially those where Throw and medium speed are needed…. Missing it just means setting up for the other guy

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
what exactly is this offset ?
It will vary depending on a number of factors including the cleanliness of the balls, the speed of the shot, the spin you put on the CB. Yes this game is that precise and tough. It will drive you nuts if you try to dominate every aspect of the game with your mind. At some point you just have to hit balls and watch what they do then adapt, and have hit enough balls so you know how to adapt.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful or rude way, but you seem like the type of person who overthinks easily. Pool isn't a game where you can dominate it with knowing everything. At some point (you might be there now) overthinking will actively sabotage your game. Your conscious thinking mind is a piss poor pool player. Your conscious mind is good for planning things. Things like routes, what spin to put on the CB, how hard you want to hit it to get shape and similar things. Your conscious mind has no part in aiming, other than while you are standing up, you have to either convince yourself, "hey self, this is a little thinner than a half ball hit." The easiest way to do this is give yourself enough VISUAL INFORMATION to make the shot. Go look at it from different angles. Let the ball and pocket position sink into the part of your brain that deals with spacial awareness. This can be exercised and strengthened almost like a muscle.

Here's the point I'm trying to help you understand: This stuff isn't some mental calculus.
1. Figure out what you want to do with your conscious mind while standing. This is where "you" figure out your plans.
2. Commit 100% to that shot. Shut your head down, idk count sheep if you have to, hum a tune, put earbuds in, just shut the "thinking" part of your head up. Do whatever pre shot routine you do, then get into the stance for the shot.
3. (Remember 100% committed to shoot the shot the way you pre-planned, you're not thinking or analyzing at this point) Shoot the shot and stay down, WATCH and SEE and FEEL how the balls react. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU LEARN THIS STUFF. After the balls stop rolling analyze what happened. Don't label it as "good" or "bad" but simply see what happened and let it go. Your subconscious/muscle memory knows so you don't have to try to mentally overpower a certain aim with your conscious mind. Trust your muscle memory and stroke to accomplish anything you ask of it.

Sometimes your "target" on the OB isn't even on the OB, but out in space. It might help to imagine the CB riding on a railroad track, with a rail at each edge. Now, before you ask where this point is let me say this again: the point you're aiming for/the distance/however you want to describe it, CHANGES. It CHANGES with cleanliness of the balls, it CHANGES based on spin, it CHANGES based on speed. Our brains cannot calculate this with the degree of accuracy that our muscle memory and subconscious can do. That's why you commit to a shot, then shoot it. Some people shut their head off when they clack their chalk on the rail. Some people do it with breath. Some people might simply say a phrase (Ladies and Gentlemen) in their head.

The only way to know what you're asking is to play a hell of a lot of pool, eventually muscle memory (sometimes called subconscious) will take over and you will know you can trust it.

As has been said multiple times in this thread, you would do well to seek an in person instructor with these issues. You can't think your way out of everything and having a knowledgeable person coach you IRL can quickly get you through this tough time. Thinking about it may eventually work but it's a long hard road to improvement that way.
This is exactly where the ghost ball system don’t always work. I knew ghost ball system had it limitations because it can only cut at most 65-70 degree. While English can do upto 80-85 degree
Yes! And all systems, be it something as simple as ghost ball, or calculating multiple rail banks/kicks break down at some point. Any system, be it aiming or whatever has a "break down point." This is where feel/practice must take over. You can do things with speed and spin that no system accounts for. No system is universal and 100% correct in all instances. Not to muddy the waters, but this is why there are dozens of systems for calculating kicks and banks. And they all break down at some point. They are a baseline but just that. Feel makes up the rest, and you only develop feel with practice and attentively watching what the balls do while down on the shot. It's a frustrating dance but going through it is the only way I've found to actually learn and put theory into practice.

Generally Dr. Dave has good content on the physics and the "whys" of how stuff works how it does. With that in mind you'll often find others who describe pool in less than scientific terms, yet don't discount their info. Sometimes what someone says works but you have to practice it a bit to understand what they are getting at. There's a lot of gold out there but sometimes you have to sift through some garbage to find it.

Last edited:

Oikawa

I'll give you a hint, if you're focused on the OB, there will be 2 cueballs, like you were looking cross eyed at something. It's because they are before your focal point. Use them like a rear rifle sight. Hold your cue vertically and look through it at the table and you'll see the same thing. Once the OB is centered in the dual cues, it's straight in line. Remember those old machinists and inspectors that could eyeball a scale down to a gnat's ass? Visual tricks involving both eyes. You gotta look at it for a bit sometimes.

Offtopic from the main point, but thought I'd share my view on this part. What you say is true and works well for most people. But another way, if you are very right or left eye dominant, is to align the cue under one eye, have your eyes on the OB during the alignment and just focus on one of those two CB/stick images in your peripheral vision, ignoring the other one coming from your weaker eye. The benefit here is that you utilize an image that is already correct instead of an imagined center of two images.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It will vary depending on a number of factors including the cleanliness of the balls, the speed of the shot, the spin you put on the CB. Yes this game is that precise and tough. It will drive you nuts if you try to dominate every aspect of the game with your mind. At some point you just have to hit balls and watch what they do then adapt, and have hit enough balls so you know how to adapt.

I don't mean this in a disrespectful or rude way, but you seem like the type of person who overthinks easily. Pool isn't a game where you can dominate it with knowing everything. At some point (you might be there now) overthinking will actively sabotage your game. Your conscious thinking mind is a piss poor pool player. Your conscious mind is good for planning things. Things like routes, what spin to put on the CB, how hard you want to hit it to get shape and similar things. Your conscious mind has no part in aiming, other than while you are standing up, you have to either convince yourself, "hey self, this is a little thinner than a half ball hit." The easiest way to do this is give yourself enough VISUAL INFORMATION to make the shot. Go look at it from different angles. Let the ball and pocket position sink into the part of your brain that deals with spacial awareness. This can be exercised and strengthened almost like a muscle.

Here's the point I'm trying to help you understand: This stuff isn't some mental calculus.
1. Figure out what you want to do with your conscious mind while standing. This is where "you" figure out your plans.
2. Commit 100% to that shot. Shut your head down, idk count sheep if you have to, hum a tune, put earbuds in, just shut the "thinking" part of your head up. Do whatever pre shot routine you do, then get into the stance for the shot.
3. (Remember 100% committed to shoot the shot the way you pre-planned, you're not thinking or analyzing at this point) Shoot the shot and stay down, WATCH and SEE and FEEL how the balls react. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOU LEARN THIS STUFF. After the balls stop rolling analyze what happened. Don't label it as "good" or "bad" but simply see what happened and let it go. Your subconscious/muscle memory knows so you don't have to try to mentally overpower a certain aim with your conscious mind. Trust your muscle memory and stroke to accomplish anything you ask of it.

Sometimes your "target" on the OB isn't even on the OB, but out in space. It might help to imagine the CB riding on a railroad track, with a rail at each edge. Now, before you ask where this point is let me say this again: the point you're aiming for/the distance/however you want to describe it, CHANGES. It CHANGES with cleanliness of the balls, it CHANGES based on spin, it CHANGES based on speed. Our brains cannot calculate this with the degree of accuracy that our muscle memory and subconscious can do. That's why you commit to a shot, then shoot it. Some people shut their head off when they clack their chalk on the rail. Some people do it with breath. Some people might simply say a phrase (Ladies and Gentlemen) in their head.

The only way to know what you're asking is to play a hell of a lot of pool, eventually muscle memory (sometimes called subconscious) will take over and you will know you can trust it.

As has been said multiple times in this thread, you would do well to seek an in person instructor with these issues. You can't think your way out of everything and having a knowledgeable person coach you IRL can quickly get you through this tough time. Thinking about it may eventually work but it's a long hard road to improvement that way.

Yes! And all systems, be it something as simple as ghost ball, or calculating multiple rail banks/kicks break down at some point. Any system, be it aiming or whatever has a "break down point." This is where feel/practice must take over. You can do things with speed and spin that no system accounts for. No system is universal and 100% correct in all instances. Not to muddy the waters, but this is why there are dozens of systems for calculating kicks and banks. And they all break down at some point. They are a baseline but just that. Feel makes up the rest, and you only develop feel with practice and attentively watching what the balls do while down on the shot. It's a frustrating dance but going through it is the only way I've found to actually learn and put theory into practice.

Generally Dr. Dave has good content on the physics and the "whys" of how stuff works how it does. With that in mind you'll often find others who describe pool in less than scientific terms, yet don't discount their info. Sometimes what someone says works but you have to practice it a bit to understand what they are getting at. There's a lot of gold out there but sometimes you have to sift through some garbage to find it.
Hey boogieman
You said alot of good things in this post

snookered_again

watching a number of videos can help , it can also make you all confused..
I to just try and focus upon the CB / cue relationship to make sure I'm targeting the CB with what I feel is the right amount of top/ bottom and left or right for the shot and that requires some experience and most of all, just lots of practice.

I dont really worry about all this numbers of diamonds or degrees, But just focus upon the contact point.. If you can do any sort of cut shot then youare already compensating fot the fact you are making those aiming adjustments.. your brain and naural reactions can figure that out without lots of technical mumbo jumbo..

When you spin balls, it changes the trajectory of the CB and OB and the rebound direction off the cushions.

some say a learner should just hit centerball and get some practice and then gradually introduce spins..

I think I naturally just hit the CB a little on the right if the cut is to the left, in essence that's just looking after the gearing in such a way as to send the OB off on its way so it is not spinning, unless there is reason to want it to spin..

compensating for how spin affects the trajectory and aim is in part just a basic learned skill.. so much relates to your vision alignment and muscle memory and trial and error.

Humans are pretty good at that, I believe it stems from the fact that if you could hit a bird with a rock and eat you'd survive but if you were a poor aim you'd starve and have less chance to reproduce.. Over millions of years of human development "aim" became a natural part of our abilities.

the technical mumbo jumbo is good to learn, but try not to overwhelm yourself , I think its easier to understand the technical aspects little by little, as you grow.

if you can hrow a piece of garbage in a can from across the room you are compensating for things like the fact the object is flying in a fairly mathematicaly complicated trajectory that relates to speed distance angles etc.. You dont need the math to hit the garbage can. it doesn't hurt to have a greater understanding .. its possible to do the math and figure out ad graph and calculate the parabolic trajectory , does it help? well maybe some, but mostly ,, it's practice.

Its true you can form bad habits.. instruction can help you not get too far off track. Its possible to make the same mistakes until they become instilled as more permanent bad habits.

I find what works best it just play, hit balls , try , practice and combine that with a bit ot video , instruction or reading. you can't become a good player by only reading.

If you are able to have your own table, even a small one that has lots to be desired is ok, If you are paying a hall for table time, it can add up so maybe if you dont have space for a table, try community centers etc to get the costs down so you can play lots without a huge cost..

the little lights tend to come on one by one as we go. Learning isn't quite like plugging in a christmas tree ;-)

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the angle of cut, there will be some amount of throw. How many degrees of throw depends on your equipment and the spin on the cue ball. You have to figure that out first. Then, imagine a new ghost ball that is repositioned very slightly -- no more than 6mm from the first one -- to give a small compensating cut. All of the details you need are explained on Dr. Dave's website.

For those interested, here is a good place to start. especially the list at the bottom of the page:

Oikawa

As for the main point of this thread, I've never been a contact point user myself due to the issues presented in this thread, it just feels like ghost ball with extra steps for no reason. Ghost ball is my current method for 99% of shots and it works well.

When I'm standing, I start by looking at the point I want the OB to end up at (typically the pocket entrance), trace a line back through the CB and then visualize the ghost ball on the opposite side, moving my body slightly sideways such that the CB overlaps with the ghost ball, while also compensating for necessary aim adjustments if needed (e.g. throw, elevation and spin). Then I drop down straight with focus on the overlap between the OB and the CB not changing. From now on my aim is locked, and all focus is on stroke/execution related things.

As someone who has a hard time visualizing things without losing that image almost instantly if I move around, a trick I use for visualizing the ghost ball, is to trace the outline of where I perceive the ghost ball to be with my eyes (a very quick motion, takes like 0.1 seconds). This outline-tracing motion somehow lets me perceive/visualize the ghost ball outline much clearer and for a longer time.

Last edited:

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
When you use this method is there only the contact point on the object ball? When I learned contact point aiming it was taught to me as lining up the contact points of the cue ball and object ball. (e.g. This part of the cue ball will hit this part of the object ball) Humbly, I would say that if one is unable to pocket a ball with a cut greater than 10 degrees, they are not using the system correctly.

People see things differently. I am curious how you came up with 10 degrees as the limit of accuracy as opposed to 8 or 13 degrees. Will you share your calculation?

Thanks
I'll be damned!!! Somebody else knows about this.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
One more thing to note is that once you get all of those practices drill done over and over for matter of months. You can also automatically work it all out like the professional do.

But the funniest thing is that, once your mind figured it out, and you just point to shoot. You will see that your cue tip will not always be staying in the center of the cueball. Unlike other people is calling it, Dead center system. It is not literally that. I find myself unconsciously having the cue tip about 1/6 or sometime 2/6 off and away from the Dead center of the cueball

Some people calling me that my mind is automatically compensating. Yes, and so is all the professional, and so is all the hitting one million balls saying and on and on and on. You can see all of those pro videos on YouTube. Pay attention at their cu tip orientation on odd angle shoots

It turns out that the 10-15 degree cutting I am always missing by under or over cutting is compensating by the English on the Cue-Ball. For example a half table length cutting by 15 degree. This is the easiest to miss. Because don’t matter what you do, as long as you keeping the cuTip at the dead center, you will miss it due to the curvature of the balls.

Because of this, I then realized that I compensate this with my cueball and the tip, even when I don’t pay attention at the cue tip, and unconsciously so. The physics behind it is that the most cut angle anyone can do is 75 degrees. It is virtually impossible, because the inertial on the cue ball is like 90% preserved and the OB isn’t moving much anyways. Therefore, a margin of variations can be taking into account as follow.

The widest opening of the pocket shadowing onto the OB is always 45 degrees at the narrowest going from straight longest rails. And right into the middle of the table as an 60 degrees or so. With 60 degrees, we can fit 1-1/2 ball in sizes. That means 60:1.5 is 40 degree. This is at the most of it

Ruling out by 75 VS 40 degree, we have a 35 degrees differences. This is always the foundation of all of the half ball cut. Therefore, we can splice the ball into halves once more. Then we get 4 sections of the OB to hit with.

*** now, depends on the cue tip curvature or some shape, and the sizes ***. The cueball can also be spliced up to 6 slices. Now we then have 75:6. Isn’t that a 12 degree differences ? I said 6 because it is actually 8. But since we only utilize half of the CB at all time. This can become an 4 slices or so counting away from the Center to either side as shown in the practice ball picture. Each of those Dot is approximately a 12-15 degree compensation

This is exactly where my subconscious is always aiming with when compensating. This will stand true for even narrower shot of 5 degrees as well

It also correlate toward the 3 point systems by one of the fractional aiming system.

Please take it with a grain of salt as it helps for me. I don’t have much more knowledge than that to improve further

*Notes*. Once the compensation is taking place. The cue tip is pointing toward the CP but not exactly directly at the CP either. Because moving the front aiming by the cue tip is considered front hand English. It depends by the distances between OB-CB. The tip can be pointing at a nudge away from the CP. Once my body is just reflexing, all of these happened unconsciously like riding a bike. I just let it happen.

What is most important to me is that my mentality is stronger from all the 3 practice drill as I pointed out above. As long as I know for sure thing that I can always hit dead on at 0 degree references, and cutting close to 65 degrees. I am more confident. Whenever I doubted myself during a huge wager on a money shot. I always start taking steps by steps from all I remembered.

1/ using Diamond system to figure out the exact cut angle

2/ staring and confidently try aiming with my stick for 0 reference line

3/ I will then apply Ghost ball aiming or compensating fractional aiming accordingly. I know for a fact that I can make almost 70% of the cut shot of 65 degrees/35 degrees and 0 degree. Anything in between this, I will then stand up, take a second analyzation, and switch into the compensating fractional aiming system. The 30-35 degree is easily measured with peace sign (index and middle finger with the middle on the edge of the OB and index heading toward that direction is 35 degrees)

Since then, my game has vastly improved at least I don’t lose as much as I used to. Whenever I miss the shots, it is mostly because of odd angles as the opponent balls are blocking the view or so, which eliminates most of the easy shots that I can make. That’s my weakness CB drives controls and odd angles. I can play against the player that can barely pocket their OB but having all of their 7 Balls blocking the pockets….with the rules that my friends play by, the Chinese 8 balls, scratching the CB with only 8 on the table is a lost…I lose most of the time this way. I learned to take it slow against players that strategically laying out their OB to block the pockets by replacing them with mine rather than pocketing it.

This makes Pool games such a fun sports 😆 once you make it less complicated
View attachment 756016
Players tend to make this much harder than it is. Encyclopedic descriptions that may or may not have relevance. This game can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. That's why it's so much fun for the few and so difficult for far too many.

snookered_again

not only angles but we can go into all kinds of calculated data to figure out the speed of each ball , and factor in the cut angle and top bottom, left and right.. You will need that to accurately place the cue ball where you want it..

I think we learn more by trial and error actually, but I can envision someone going into some pretty coplex math here..
on a thin cut there is less energy transfer and spin in one direction will drive the OB further or the opposite is true.. and of course more top will make the CB go further and less will slow it more..
I think most good players do this, and understand it conceptually without any regards to the mathematical calculations, but rather, trial, error and experience.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact point aiming is probably one of the most common aiming techniques out there. I believe Jim Rempe, among others stated he just aims at the contact point. It's easy to figure out. You stand behind the object ball and sight a line to the intended pocket.

The problem is that if you use this system for shots over 10 degrees, you start to under cut the ball. You will hit the shot too full and must compensate to send the cue ball to the right place. Then why do users aim at the contact point if they will miss the shot? And are they really aiming at the contact pint?

Best,
Mike
I look at angles. I do look at the cotactt point but I primarily look at the angle where the line from the pocket extends through the object ball and the angle of my entire cue stick to that line. It’s hard to explain but what you’re doing is setting up your cue stick to the intersection of that line from the pocket. Too much emphasis is put on the cue tip and not the entire cue stick

vincett

I look at angles. I do look at the cotactt point but I primarily look at the angle where the line from the pocket extends through the object ball and the angle of my entire cue stick to that line. It’s hard to explain but what you’re doing is setting up your cue stick to the intersection of that line from the pocket. Too much emphasis is put on the cue tip and not the entire cue stick
Thank you!! Especially the shape of the tip and the size of it. The entire cuestick extending toward the butts can act like back hand English. Sometimes it has micro adjustments when we doubt ourself and we forgot to re-scouting or re-aligning the Cp/stick/balls lines and that is where everything went wrong. Especially down the longest rails at the longest distances