Converting joints on c/f shafts

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds easy and it isn't real hard.
I just finished one that someone else did. They used a straight 1/2" plug and went from there.
DIDN'T WORK
The plug pulled out when the cue was tightened.
So, seeing that the hole was already 1/2", I cleaned it out, then threaded it to accept a 9/16x12. I like course threads for epoxy.
For those here who don't live thread, learn to use a split die. They are very simple to use. Just remember hand taps and split dies require patience and of course BY HAND, not under power.
Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20240502_115412.jpg
    IMG_20240502_115412.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20240502_115203.jpg
    IMG_20240502_115203.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 61

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tools,
Dies, lathe tailstock die holders.
Make the body of the insert first.
After it's installed and the epoxy dries, then drill, bore and tap your internal threads.

Last edited:

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just finished one that someone else did. They used a straight 1/2" plug and went from there.
DIDN'T WORK
So, seeing that the hole was already 1/2", I cleaned it out, then threaded it to accept a 9/16x12. I like course threads for epoxy.
For those here who don't live thread, learn to use a split die. They are very simple to use. Just remember hand taps and split dies require patience and of course BY HAND, not under power.
Good luck!
Thank you for a concise and informative post!

DeeDeeCues

DIDN'T WORK
Good luck!

What was the original plug made of? Was the epoxy evenly applied? Did the CF get scuffed before application?

The reason I ask is that epoxy on CF should be more than adequate to hold a plug unless the plug is ungluable (i.e. Delrin), or the CF is improperly prepped.

Thanks,

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was the original plug made of? Was the epoxy evenly applied? Did the CF get scuffed before application?

The reason I ask is that epoxy on CF should be more than adequate to hold a plug unless the plug is ungluable (i.e. Delrin), or the CF is improperly prepped.

Thanks,
Phenolic.
The rest, I have no idea nor do I care. It failed, I repaired it!
To answer the rest, I would have to know who did it and contact him/her.
It ain't that kind of movie!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main direction for this thread was for the one's who don't have the ability to live thread.
Split dies are simple to work with and quick.
For me their just old school fun.
I have issues!!!!

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
So you are threading the inside of the CF tube? How deep can you go, given the thin wall thickness? I have a request to swap plugs and rings from one CF shaft to another. Sounds similar to what is being disucssed here.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
So you are threading the inside of the CF tube? How deep can you go, given the thin wall thickness? I have a request to swap plugs and rings from one CF shaft to another. Sounds similar to what is being disucssed here.
Mike threaded the 1/2" hole that was there already. Not the walls of the CF.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really
Don't swap plugs, work within the plug that's attached to the c/f.
Unless of course it has pulled out

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Not really
Don't swap plugs, work within the plug that's attached to the c/f.
Unless of course it has pulled out

If I do this, that is my plan. The only shitty part is that the plug in the Mezz has a brass insert for the 5/16-18 joint. A bit of a PITA to bore out but doable. The flange at the end of the CF tube would have to be removed to prevent me from having two glue joints at the shaft end, the exisitng one and another from the incoming plug with rings on it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I do this, that is my plan. The only shitty part is that the plug in the Mezz has a brass insert for the 5/16-18 joint. A bit of a PITA to bore out but doable. The flange at the end of the CF tube would have to be removed to prevent me from having two glue joints at the shaft end, the exisitng one and another from the incoming plug with rings on it.
I responded in your thread. I hope it helps.
Good luck