Core or Not to Core : Curly Redwood

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, just wondering what the stability in terms of warpage would be for redwood?

is there anything special with the hit of an uncored Redwood forearm?

Weight concerns aside, would you core or not? thank you.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a hobby cuemaker, but in the past used thousands of feet of 8/4 redwood building out door decks and landscape features.
Redwood is very soft & light. More than that, it is about the only species of wood that expands and contracts lengthwise with humidity changes (as well as normal width-wise). Mechanically, burls and extreme curly sections of any wood tend to be less predictable and "weaker" in directions that would not be common for straight grain wood of the same species.

If i ever used any soft woods like that or koa, etc, would definitely core, straight grain wood, probably something stable & heavy like PH, padauk, wenge, etc. I would expect an un-cored burl or deeply curly redwood forearm to have a spongy hit. That said, i have not yet actually cored anything and tend to use relatively stable dense, heavy hardwoods.

It will not be dent resistant, and might not be the best substrate for a rigid finish like cyano or even lacquer that will crack or separate.

smt

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have used quite a bit of redwood burl and YES every piece of redwood, not just burl needs to be stabilized first, then cored. You will not be happy with the results otherwise. Glue and finish will just get sucked right into the wood if not stabilized, and there will not be any structural integrity to the cue if you don't core it.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, and no please do not confuse this with a burl, i am NOT using a BURL.

that being said, the piece i have is not highly figured, but there are some curls.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a hobby cuemaker, but in the past used thousands of feet of 8/4 redwood building out door decks and landscape features.
Redwood is very soft & light. More than that, it is about the only species of wood that expands and contracts lengthwise with humidity changes (as well as normal width-wise). Mechanically, burls and extreme curly sections of any wood tend to be less predictable and "weaker" in directions that would not be common for straight grain wood of the same species.

If i ever used any soft woods like that or koa, etc, would definitely core, straight grain wood, probably something stable & heavy like PH, padauk, wenge, etc. I would expect an un-cored burl or deeply curly redwood forearm to have a spongy hit. That said, i have not yet actually cored anything and tend to use relatively stable dense, heavy hardwoods.

It will not be dent resistant, and might not be the best substrate for a rigid finish like cyano or even lacquer that will crack or separate.

smt
Would you still core if it has been stabilized? / would the hit be less spongy? the piece i have is not highly figured..

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
season your coring dowels ......... season your redwood burl.............. core it...... use gorilla glue
... there is no need to stabilize it.............. I have used lots of it in cues......... it stays straight..... no problem

Kim

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Core with harder and more stable wood. Purple Heart, Ipe, Rosewood.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have cored hundreds of cues with a 3/4 maple dowel.......... I only use purple heart if I need to add an ounce of weight.

KIm

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Redwood is very soft with a Janka hardness of 450 lb/f. In Addition to that your piece is figured. Coring is a must. What wood you use for coring depends on what weight and balance you want the cue to have. Personally I prefer to have a fairly tight fit and use epoxy instead of PU glue, but both methods works fine. With PU glue you can get away with a more sloppy fit.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Redwood is very soft with a Janka hardness of 450 lb/f. In Addition to that your piece is figured. Coring is a must. What wood you use for coring depends on what weight and balance you want the cue to have. Personally I prefer to have a fairly tight fit and use epoxy instead of PU glue, but both methods works fine. With PU glue you can get away with a more sloppy fit.
Sorry, just saw your reply...

Yes, i cored it with rosewood & used epoxy.

Cue still hits SOFT..

-CVT cues

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why Rosewood for your Core?
Just curious.
Had one that was already undersized for a forearm, since rosewood is generally stable and "crisp/hard" hitting, i thought that might have balanced it out.

What rosewood did you end up using and what diameter is your core wood?
i think? it was siamese rosewood. 16mm.

Also, i have a capped joint. Elforyn.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had one that was already undersized for a forearm, since rosewood is generally stable and "crisp/hard" hitting, i thought that might have balanced it out.

i think? it was siamese rosewood. 16mm.

Also, i have a capped joint. Elforyn.
So fairly soft in terms of rosewoods, combined with small diameter core and a soft joint material probably all contributes to tye soft hit. "Standard" .840" joint diameter and 1.240/50" butt diameter?