Corey Deuel

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi
when CD was in his prime he was one of the best ever ( imho). He won the us open 2001 and he pulverized mika immonen and he won a lot of tournaments. But now? I know he is still a great player but he doesn't win a lot lately. Why? He isn't focused in pool anymore?

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
hi
when CD was in his prime he was one of the best ever ( imho). He won the us open 2001 and he pulverized mika immonen and he won a lot of tournaments. But now? I know he is still a great player but he doesn't win a lot lately. Why? He isn't focused in pool anymore?

The boy just doesn't have his heart in it anymore. Probably moved on to playing golf.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
hi

Corey started to care more about his golf swing and chasing girls than winning tournaments.

His greatest weapon used to be the soft break. (When he was in his prime...lmao. What is he, 29 now? :rolleyes:) Since others have adopted the soft cut break, he doesn't have the advantage of being the only player to exercise complete control over the break shot.

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am only guessing but could it have to do with 5280, when that relationship went away, he lost inspiration as well, or does he play poker?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Comments

You could say the same thing about half a dozen other players. Many players have a good year or two, and then nothing in the years following.

The test over time is the mark of a great player.

(For example, Sigel, Varner, or Ralf, and of course, Efren)

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey started to care more about his golf swing and chasing girls than winning tournaments.

His greatest weapon used to be the soft break. (When he was in his prime...lmao. What is he, 29 now? :rolleyes:) Since others have adopted the soft cut break, he doesn't have the advantage of being the only player to exercise complete control over the break shot.

he is 32 now. And in his prime i'm reporting to the start of his career...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
There are so many great pool players from all parts of the world that it is very hard for any one person (save Mika of course. What a GREAT year he is having!!!) to sustain any type of winning streak. A couple of years ago Ralf was the nutz and now he's not winning any more tournaments than the usual suspects. Shane was the nutz last year and he's tapered off somewhat. Of course Efren and Busta were the cream of the crop around the turn of this century. Johnny in the 90's, but although he wins one every now and then, he does't snap off too many big ones like he used to. With all that talent out there, it's hard to "get by" and win a tournament if you don't have your very best game in that given tournament. Because for sure, SOMEONE in that tournament will be in dead stroke, maybe two or more, making it damn hard for anyone (even if they are shooting well) to win.

Short answer: The talent pool is too strong for somebody that is not totally immersed/dedicated to the game.

Maniac

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
from what I can gather it's just a question of drive/motivation for Corey.

Shame really as he plays the game beautifully and extremely uniquely.

He's also responsible for one of my favourite ever shots on video - in the US Open a few years back he made a spectacular draw shot to the side rail and back and prompted a near orgasm from Billy Incardona in the commentary booth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L85wpzf9F0 (one minute fifty in for the impatient) :)

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
You could say the same thing about half a dozen other players. Many players have a good year or two, and then nothing in the years following.

The test over time is the mark of a great player.

(For example, Sigel, Varner, or Ralf, and of course, Efren)

The Scorpion---->Johnny Archer

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
It could be too that he's come to the cold hard reality that you can't make a living in Pro Pool, not tourneys anyway. What he could make in a month on the tour, he can make in one night gambling. Put your time where it matters.
Look at the 'earnings-year to date' cash totals in the average range.
Can you live on that? I know I can't. Not when you consider all they have to pay out to get to the money.

Golf is a different story. You can win just one major and never have to work another day in your life, depending on your life-style.
The kid's too young not to follow his heart. I wish him the best in whatever direction he chooses to go.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I think Corey knows he can play with....beat....and out think a big majority of the pro pool world. I guess the man just needs the right incentive to get the blood flowing so to speak.

I like the way he played in his big event last month!

G.

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be too that he's come to the cold hard reality that you can't make a living in Pro Pool, not tourneys anyway. What he could make in a month on the tour, he can make in one night gambling. Put your time where it matters.
Look at the 'earnings-year to date' cash totals in the average range.
Can you live on that? I know I can't. Not when you consider all they have to pay out to get to the money.

Golf is a different story. You can win just one major and never have to work another day in your life, depending on your life-style.
The kid's too young not to follow his heart. I wish him the best in whatever direction he chooses to go.
i don't know how good deuel plays golf, but i don't think he is good enough to win a major gold tournament.

RBC

Deceased
Why do you think Corey isn't doing well?

He took second at the Pro Players championship at Valley Forge earlier this year and I think he took second in his last event, his own!

Taking second in your own event, while you are running it, is a tremendous feat. Not to mention that it was a brand new venue and format.

As far as gambling goes, he is to known to go out and get good easy action. When your action is a coin toss it's tough to depend on it for a living.

Corey does run his own league. I don't think it's real big yet, but it is growing.

Corey is a gentleman and a true champion!

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
i don't know how good deuel plays golf, but i don't think he is good enough to win a major gold tournament.

I used golf as a comparison because it was mentioned in a previous post.
The comparison was used to illustrate the difference in the pay-outs btwn the two sports, not to suggest that he was on his way to becoming Tiger Wood's successor.
Given that he's tried his hand at a couple of different cue lines and is now deeply involved in a pool league, suggests that his heart is still in pool, whatever form that takes. There's no financial security in Pro Pool even when you finish in the cash on a regular/semi-regular basis. I think he knows this.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I don't know how many of you remember the fancy wrapless heavily inlaid Viking cue that Corey used with a predator shaft, but that cue and shaft seemed to be what he was using when he was playing his best. He used that fancy Viking cue when he beat Mika 11-0 in the finals of the US Open.

James

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how many of you remember the fancy wrapless heavily inlaid Viking cue that Corey used with a predator shaft, but that cue and shaft seemed to be what he was using when he was playing his best. He used that fancy Viking cue when he beat Mika 11-0 in the finals of the US Open.

James

Here he is using it in Japan. Check out the sick stroke shot on the 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxEcHLeoYwQ

Slh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from what I can gather it's just a question of drive/motivation for Corey.

Shame really as he plays the game beautifully and extremely uniquely.

He's also responsible for one of my favourite ever shots on video - in the US Open a few years back he made a spectacular draw shot to the side rail and back and prompted a near orgasm from Billy Incardona in the commentary booth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L85wpzf9F0 (one minute fifty in for the impatient) :)
nice shot, very similar to this :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIoPHYHaaDg

I used golf as a comparison because it was mentioned in a previous post.
The comparison was used to illustrate the difference in the pay-outs btwn the two sports, not to suggest that he was on his way to becoming Tiger Wood's successor.
Given that he's tried his hand at a couple of different cue lines and is now deeply involved in a pool league, suggests that his heart is still in pool, whatever form that takes. There's no financial security in Pro Pool even when you finish in the cash on a regular/semi-regular basis. I think he knows this.
ah ok.. my english isn't so good and sometime i misunderstand some post.