Corey's done it again, this time with 8b.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is real simple folks - if anyone is racking in any particular way - like the diagram CreeDo provided in post #1, then it's clearly "not right" and is one of those things that you "know it when you see it" kind of things - IMO.

There are TWO ways to fix this kind of thing:

1) designate a specific racking order - like pointed out in the English Blackball rules - that would need to be adopted and approved by the proper governing body or bodies as appropriate..... or

2) using some sort of random ball generator - machine or smartphone APP - that would need to be followed so a true "random" racking order is provided for each new rack.

No matter the player - or even referee - there is no way to truly randomize any rack as long as (they) can SEE the balls (they) are placing. Peripheral vision and human nature to make the necessary decisions when grabbing any ball out of a cluster will preclude any true "random" placement. See options #1 and #2 above.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
This is real simple folks - if anyone is racking in any particular way - like the diagram CreeDo provided in post #1, then it's clearly "not right" and is one of those things that you "know it when you see it" kind of things - IMO.

1) designate a specific racking order - like pointed out in the English Blackball rules - that would need to be adopted and approved by the proper governing body or bodies as appropriate..... or

2) using some sort of random ball generator - machine or smartphone APP - that would need to be followed so a true "random" racking order is provided for each new rack.

No matter the player - or even referee - there is no way to truly randomize any rack as long as (they) can SEE the balls (they) are placing. Peripheral vision and human nature to make the necessary decisions when grabbing any ball out of a cluster will preclude any true "random" placement. See options #1 and #2 above.

Random or truly random isn't necessary. The WPA world standardized rules don't even refer to the term "random". They say "The other balls are placed in the triangle without purposeful or intentional pattern."

While the BCA Pool League rule does include the word random, clearly they are talking in the spirit the WPA rule and not about the mathematical theory of randomness.

No one cares for example, that with one person the 3 and 11 balls seem to end up towards the apex more often because red is their favorite color so they subconsciously grab those balls first.

But I do agree that the way the rules are written makes them inherently hard to enforce since it appears, judging by the number of people that will actually defend pattern racking, there is no way pool players will adopt honor as the code of conduct. :rolleyes:

But enforceable or not, I agree you might know it when you see it and you certainly know it when you are doing it if you are doing it to gain an advantage. And it's just not right, at least by my code.

Last edited:

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried yesterday the Corey pattern, my question is how I should shoot the second row in rack, to make a ball? Because if you don't make a ball, rack is perfect open for your opponent.

The answer is simple. 8 ball must go to a standardized racking pattern like the set up in English 8ball. Every rack, both players, all the time. I'll even say that a magic rack must be used. Then, if Corey, or any other player, can figure out how to gain an advantage by using speed (also within set parameters constituting a legal break) and point of impact, then more power to him.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried Corey's rack at league the other night... and I think I'm sold on it and will be using it for rack your own.

I had 4 games in the night in which I racked/broke;
- I broke and ran two of them which where fairly simple layouts.
- Another one I missed the first ball ... which was difficult, but I should have made it. My opponent ran out on me. :(
-The final break I made a ball, ran 5 and had to play safe because I wouldn't have been able to get to the last ball.

But overall the rack pattern produced fairly easy layouts.

Oh, and btw, I was hitting the head ball (from the side rail) as hard as I could with control. (didn't want to risk breaking dry)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I tried Corey's rack at league the other night... and I think I'm sold on it and will be using it for rack your own.

I had 4 games in the night in which I racked/broke;
- I broke and ran two of them which where fairly simple layouts.
- Another one I missed the first ball ... which was difficult, but I should have made it. My opponent ran out on me. :(
-The final break I made a ball, ran 5 and had to play safe because I wouldn't have been able to get to the last ball.

But overall the rack pattern produced fairly easy layouts.

Oh, and btw, I was hitting the head ball (from the side rail) as hard as I could with control. (didn't want to risk breaking dry)

I just used the thumb-breaking technique. I "won" all 4 games at league! Sure beats all those lessons and practice and such.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
All of these are easily fixed with a very simple policy (or rule change):

To rack, you grab all the balls out of the hopper and wedge them against the bottom rail
with your arms to form a triangle. We've seen players do this when preparing the balls
to fit inside a standard triangle.

Once the balls are "wedged" you may only swap 2 balls:
1. Put the 8 in the center
2. You may swap either corner ball, IF they're the same group.

That's it. These are the only 2 balls a player may swap.
Boom, no more pattern racking.

Although this post by CreeDo is 4 days old, I still feel like it is relevant to this discussion. I have been toying around with this idea for the past few days while playing the 8-ball ghost...and IMO, this is not too bad of an idea...actually a very good one. If you do this, and you pick up the ball that is sitting in the place where the 8-ball goes, switch ONLY the 8-ball and THAT ball...as often as not this will be the only two balls that will need to be touched. If there is NOT a ball of each suit in the bottom corners (per BCAPL rules, and others)...then you will have to touch only two more balls at most.

Can you pattern-rack using this method??? Sure...but it becomes so blatantly obvious that I doubt anyone would try it in a refereed match...or one where the opponent would likely call you on it.

It's a simple fix to what appears to be a complex problem (judging from the high content of discussion on the subject). Try it yourself next time you play 8-ball (or full-rack rotation swapping the 1-ball to the front of the rack with one other ball).

Sorry Creedo....I should have given you props a couple days earlier with this suggestion you made. It really does solve the pattern-racking problem...and with simplicity.

Maniac

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
CreeDo,

As with Maniac, I'm going to try your method tonight at our scotch double league. Let you know what I find.

As an aside, what you're suggesting is essentially what Paul Schofield has suggested (and uses) for his nine ball events. Understand you can not shape the diamond easily off the rail. Using the rack and a quick spin accomplishes pretty much the same result. Find the one ball and replace whatever ball is in front. Find the nine and replace whatever ball is currently in the center. Tighten up and break. Will a pattern appear. Once in a while yes but not every rack.

Lyn

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I tried Corey's rack at league the other night... and I think I'm sold on it...

Glad you had success, but I'm not sure if you're using corey's rack the way he intended.
He broke soft and hit the 2nd ball, you're hitting hard and hitting the head ball.
Your results will be at least a little different from his.

The main thing that makes his rack amazing is, you not only get a good runnable spread,
the opponent's group is ridiculously clustered. Did you notice if that happened when you broke hard?

8 ball must go to a standardized racking pattern.

Do you have anything against random, other than it's hard to prove/enforce?
If a tournament had some way to guarantee truly random racks, would you be ok with that?
Personally I think a little randomness adds spice.

The solution is quite simple.
Balls should alternate between solid and stripe except for one 2 ball cluster of each suit.

OK, and how did you come up with that?
This is nothing against you personally, I apologize for ranting... but this is what's driving me nuts.

So many people out there suggest specific patterns, like alternating solid-stripe-solid.
But I can almost guarantee those people didn't spend hours studying the outcome of a thousand breaks.
Alternating solid-stripe-solid is just something people think looks good on paper.
If you spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it, it falls apart. It doesn't work.

If you haven't studied where the balls usually END, then how can you make an
informed decision on where they should START?

Not to pick on you but, what are you trying for when you specify the "2-ball cluster of each suit"?
Do you think that means there will be clusters after the break? It doesn't necessarily.
Do you think that means there will, no clusters after the break? It doesn't necessarily.
Do you think that means there will be an even distribution of each group across the table? It doesn't necessarily.

Unless someone has specifically studied where balls go AFTER the break,
Then any proposed pattern is just a total guess, it's not based on anything scientific.

The break is much more complex than "if I alternate balls, then there will be an even, fair spread."
That's like thinking that if you have a roll of quarters all facing heads-up, and you throw
them into the air, you will get mostly heads.

</rant>

I'm not sure if the poster was in violation of this exception
because the rule allows you to alternate around the outside of the rack only,
I read him to mean he alternated balls (stripe/solid) across the rows which would not fall under the exception.

We should actually make this super clear though you or someone else already said it.

Standard WPA rules: it's flat-out against the rules.
Standard BCA rules: it's flat-out against the rules.
BCA League rules: it's against the rules, but buried at the end of the rulebook,
someone asked for a ruling and the refs made an exception.
APA League rules: not mentioned so presumably OK.

So alternating balls is only legal in league.
And even then you must break the pattern by making sure the corner balls are different.

I tried yesterday the Corey pattern, my question is how
I should shoot the second row in rack, to make a ball? Because if you don't make a ball,
rack is perfect open for your opponent.

That's the catch with any good 8 ball rack though, unless you intentionally pattern and break
them to always have clusters. But that seems like scared thinking.

In general, if you hit the 2nd ball as square as you can, coming as close as possible to the first ball
but without actually touching it, the opposite corner ball will often fly right into the pocket.
If it doesn't, the other corner ball frequently goes. And I've noticed a ball often goes in the side,
on the side I'm breaking from. I think the 2nd row break actually comes up dry less than a standard break.
It's what SVB recommends in his 8-ball video.

[snip]
2) using some sort of random ball generator - machine or smartphone APP -
that would need to be followed so a true "random" racking order is provided for each new rack.

Did you happen to see my suggestion about the wedge?
In that solution, you gather the balls into a triangular pattern with your arms,
but cannot pick up any specific ball. Whatever triangular pattern you create,
is the one you must use when you rack. You are allowed to swap only 2 balls -
switch the 8 with the ball in the center, to make sure the 8 is in the middle.
And swap one of the corners if they're both the same group. That's it. No other swapping allowed.

This gives you an easy low-tech solution that is random and doesn't allow anyone to sneak in a pattern.

I think a phone app would be fine, too. Already http://pool.bz allows you to do randomized breaks.
A randomized rack would probably be something Wei could easily add.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
We should actually make this super clear though you or someone else already said it.

Standard WPA rules: it's flat-out against the rules.
Standard BCA rules: it's flat-out against the rules.
BCA League rules: it's against the rules, but buried at the end of the rulebook,
someone asked for a ruling and the refs made an exception.
APA League rules: not mentioned so presumably OK.

So alternating balls is only legal in league.
And even then you must break the pattern by making sure the corner balls are different.

Just to refine this summary about league play, if you alternate the balls around the outside of the rack in BCAPL play, this should be taken to mean that you must alternate them all the way around (with the exception of the corner balls) and not just some of them. In other words, it doesn't say you can arrange them any way you want. It only says you can alternate them.

SpotMeee

One of the many things I love about pool is that every rack I've ever played has been different than every other rack. If I wanted the same game over and over I'd play darts. ;)

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you had success, but I'm not sure if you're using corey's rack the way he intended.
He broke soft and hit the 2nd ball, you're hitting hard and hitting the head ball.
Your results will be at least a little different from his.

The main thing that makes his rack amazing is, you not only get a good runnable spread,
the opponent's group is ridiculously clustered. Did you notice if that happened when you broke hard?

I know I wasn't using it the way He had intended... i did try a few second ball breaks with mild success. But hitting the head ball hard from the side was leaving easier than normal table layouts... I wouldn't say one set was open and open messed up, but there was definitely a good spread and for the most part the strips and solids were in separate areas.

Since I first posted, I've tried it twice more and I'm hooked... works for my break, but everyone hits them differently.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
haha, I wanna thank you for turning me on to that!
Be honest, wasn't this a little more interesting than a standard barbox match on youtube?
Does this truly piss you off, and you want it banned?

I got to see something I never saw before, a guy who can break, leave himself a dead easy 1-2-3
on purpose, and set up a dead 9 ball so he doesn't have to finish the rack.
That's genius.

Sure, it's a "joke" if everyone is doing it all day long, dead nuts consistently.
Then the match looks like this:

Dennis B&R with early 9, 1-0
Corey B&R with early 9, 1-1
Dennis B&R with early 9, 2-1
Corey B&R with early 9, 2-2
Dennis B&R with early 9, 3-2
Corey B&R with early 9, 3-3
[etc.]
And eventually Dennis reaches 9 first and wins.
That would be boring if the matches all happened like that.

But that's NOT what's happening.

Instead it's Dennis Break, miss, corey makes tough out.
Corey B&R with early 9.
Dennis B&R, no early 9.
Corey B&R, no early 9.
Dennis break, can't get out, ducks, corey beautiful jump shot, great safe, BIH, gets out.
Corey B&R with early 9 but needed to make a bank, combo, and then delicate zigzag shape to do it.
[etc.]

Even the guy who invented this stuff can't do it 100% of the time consistently.
And even guys like dennis (who inspired lots of crying about pattern racks) hadn't figured it out until now.
And how long has 9 ball (with or without the magic rack) been around?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what you are saying. I know everybody can't do this, but this is clearly against the spirit of the game. At least with opponent rack the opponent is not going to line up a low ball for the 9 ball combo.