Corkage fee at a pool hall

pool808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys think about a corkage fee for a pool hall. I do not have my liquor license yet but in the meantime then I would like to implement a corkage fee. I would only allow beers and wine. $1 per bottle for the beers and $5 per bottle.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im not a room owner but a player
jmho
i think your prices are fair and i would not object

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
What do you guys think about a corkage fee for a pool hall. I do not have my liquor license yet but in the meantime then I would like to implement a corkage fee. I would only allow beers and wine. $1 per bottle for the beers and $5 per bottle.

Depending on the State you are in corkage fee could be illegal. I know in New Jersey we are not allowed to charge anything that is related to handling of alcoholic beverages. I just provide small fridges for them to keep them cold and count on them playing longer because they can drink and play at a pretty good price.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Corkage Fee

im not a room owner but a player
jmho
i think your prices are fair and i would not object

In certain circles I think the idea of a corkage fee might be accepted but in what I see in the places I go I would tend to think it would be better to say beers are X amount...without advertising that there is corkage fee.

People expect you to make a profit in order to stay in business, they are more concerned with the value you offer them as customers...imho.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
In certain circles I think the idea of a corkage fee might be accepted but in what I see in the places I go I would tend to think it would be better to say beers are X amount...without advertising that there is corkage fee.

People expect you to make a profit in order to stay in business, they are more concerned with the value you offer them as customers...imho.

He can't sell alcohol, he wants to collect a fee for byob.

I'd say you want a structure that doesn't require much policing. Per bottle will tempt your customers to sneak, and you'll have to let them if you want to keep them happy.

Corkage is usually applied to wine in places with wait staff; that's much easier to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
He can't sell alcohol, he wants to collect a fee for byob.

I'd say you want a structure that doesn't require much policing. Per bottle will tempt your customers to sneak, and you'll have to let them if you want to keep them happy.

Corkage is usually applied to wine in places with wait staff; that's much easier to control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that would make more sense if you are handling it for them. Ive seen these fees in restaurants on menus that already had alcohol but paid them little attention because I rarely drink at the restaurant prices for drinks. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Do you want to offer valet parking to?

Have patience and wait for your license... you may find you're the one getting corked if you try to get this "extra" money.

JV

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They bring their bottle.

Or bottles. They give them for you. You put their names on the bottles. They ask and you serve them their own refreshments. Charging of course. You would be a bottle club. No one can leave with any alcohol. That would be an open container. You may be held liable for damages due to over serving also..
Check with your city or county regulators to ensure this would be in compliance with all local and State laws.
Ask somebody!
Nick :)

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
double the table rate if they bring alcohol.......... pay by the bottle is difficult to keep up with.....................

Kim

pool808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone for all the ideas. Charging a higher rate for guys that do drink makes sense. It is not something I want to implement in the immediate future but I am gathering as much information so when the time comes to make the decision then I am ready. My pool hall is strictly non-alcoholic at this time. Just a little background: We have not had a pool room in town for about 20 years. A lot of the so called old timers object to alcohol being in the pool room. When new costumers walked in the door and the first question they asked me is if they are allowed to drink here.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The room I am currently calling home just got liquor... Prior to liquor they were beer only and the bottle charge was 8 bucks.... I think that is way more than fair since they already charge 2.79 for a bottled soda......

BBL

Registered
Cover charge

Hi I was in nj when I had my room.

I had a lawyer actually tell me to charge a cork fee so I am not to sure about the laws of nj, might be different for certain areas.

Next cork fee is a great ideal, but there is a way around.

I like the ideal of $1 per beer or $5 per bottle, but I think it is a bad one if I am reading correctly. Are you going to watch every beer they drink and say if someone drinks 15 beers it is $15 for them. You will become a detective then.
If you do have a maximum, you don't want customers to feel cheated.

As of the byob law, I would laugh about this because let's say someone buys a drink from a vending machine that you own and another person brings in a soda. How do you know it is soda, are you going to check the bottle.

First sell cups $2 a cup it's not against the law to sell a cup.
Next don't allow drinks to come in unless you buy a cup.
Next up the sale on coffee if it is below $2 someone will get smart and buy a coffee and dump it out if it is less than the cups your selling.

Next thing is you can have a special on cups let's say 8 people are playing on two tables do a buy 3 cups get the 4th free.

Also make it mandatory that if you are playing with someone buying cups they all have to buy cups. You will get people saying owe we are going to share lol.

Now here is the main reason. Underage drinking it will protect you legally because you don't see what they are drinking it could be soda or beer. Believe me I had people stare at me and say to me why am I drinking beer beer I am not 21 and really I was 31 all you need is someone who feels like they have power to screw you.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Hi I was in nj when I had my room.

I had a lawyer actually tell me to charge a cork fee so I am not to sure about the laws of nj, might be different for certain areas.

Next cork fee is a great ideal, but there is a way around.

I like the ideal of $1 per beer or $5 per bottle, but I think it is a bad one if I am reading correctly. Are you going to watch every beer they drink and say if someone drinks 15 beers it is $15 for them. You will become a detective then.
If you do have a maximum, you don't want customers to feel cheated.

As of the byob law, I would laugh about this because let's say someone buys a drink from a vending machine that you own and another person brings in a soda. How do you know it is soda, are you going to check the bottle.

First sell cups $2 a cup it's not against the law to sell a cup.
Next don't allow drinks to come in unless you buy a cup.
Next up the sale on coffee if it is below $2 someone will get smart and buy a coffee and dump it out if it is less than the cups your selling.

Next thing is you can have a special on cups let's say 8 people are playing on two tables do a buy 3 cups get the 4th free.

Also make it mandatory that if you are playing with someone buying cups they all have to buy cups. You will get people saying owe we are going to share lol.

Now here is the main reason. Underage drinking it will protect you legally because you don't see what they are drinking it could be soda or beer. Believe me I had people stare at me and say to me why am I drinking beer beer I am not 21 and really I was 31 all you need is someone who feels like they have power to screw you.

Went through this with the ABC which is run by the NJ State Police. You can not advertise BYOB nor can you handle or charge for handling of beer and wine. You can not have liquor period. Since the NJSP took over the ABC it has been enforced throughout the state.

BBL

Registered
Didn't know that lol

Shows how much my lawyer knew lol good thing I didn't listen to him.

Is pool808 in nj

I still think the way to go is charge cups that's if your not in nj.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In AZ there is a special license for resturants that allow BYOB.

But you can not chare a corkage fee. Friend own a pizza joint, he said he would supply opener, glss ware, but the problems related to BYOB were the people who brought their own.

Albatross Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see there is finally a pool hall on the big island, looked into opening one on the Kona side for a while now. The corkage fee is a good idea as long as the county will let you do it. Over here in Kona the County will not let you have a pool hall that sells alcohol. The County is very strict with this, although you can walk into the bowling alley and drink all the beer you wish. I personally don't see the difference in the two.

Mahalo for taking the time to do this for your community, it has been needed for a long time. Now we just need a couple 12 foot snooker tables.

Aloha.

pool808

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to see there is finally a pool hall on the big island, looked into opening one on the Kona side for a while now. The corkage fee is a good idea as long as the county will let you do it. Over here in Kona the County will not let you have a pool hall that sells alcohol. The County is very strict with this, although you can walk into the bowling alley and drink all the beer you wish. I personally don't see the difference in the two.

Mahalo for taking the time to do this for your community, it has been needed for a long time. Now we just need a couple 12 foot snooker tables.

Aloha.

I already talked to the director of the liquor commission about this issue and it is allowed by law. They even encouraged me to apply for my liquor license. If it is allowed on the Hilo side then it should also be legal in Kona.