cue makers actually taking orders

Stickman9

For what it's worth, I would also look at superiorcues.com and recollectioncues.com.

Both tend to maintain a good stock of very nice and desirable cues, from mild to wild representing some of the best builders out there.
I have bought a couple of cues from Recollection Cues. Tom Watters is honest and easy to deal with.

I agree with Dave in FL about Chris Nitti. I have one of his cues, and it plays and looks great.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i’m looking for a recommendation of a cue maker that is actually taking orders and can complete a cue in a reasonable amount of time

4 pointer - seems like most makers focus on six pointers now
radial pin - i have aftermarket shafts
ebony forearm with ebony points
i don’t care about ivory

budget 3-6k

so yeh who is reputable and will actually complete a cue from a custom design ?
How can you budget 3-6k for what seems like a basic 4 point butt. If that is your price range, then there are probably only a handful of makers that command that price, and they probably have short lists. Like Tony Black Boar. I believe his price is so high that his list is only a few months long.

Zerksies

How can you budget 3-6k for what seems like a basic 4 point butt. If that is your price range, then there are probably only a handful of makers that command that price, and they probably have short lists. Like Tony Black Boar. I believe his price is so high that his list is only a few months long.
People are paying $5-7k for a southwest cues and waiting decades. People are damn nuts

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Owen always seems to be making a lot of new cues and while I’ve never played with one I have only heard positive reviews!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
i’m looking for a recommendation of a cue maker that is actually taking orders and can complete a cue in a reasonable amount of time

i don’t care about ivory

budget 3-6k

Tascarella

Patiktik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reach-out to Al Bautista (Blackpearl Cues) and get some significant change back in your pocket. His work is pretty much on par with what you can get stateside too.

Seaspook

Has-Been
You should check out AM Cues in Alexandria VA. Anthony apprenticed at Black Boar cues and builds a great looking quality cue. Cues run in the $3k range and he runs about teen months out.

His shop is is next to Street Light Billiard Academy

Good Luck

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waste of time and money.

It's mostly a nostalgia thing. The first time I heard about Southwest cues was back in the 80's where everyone I knew claimed that it had the best hit. Fast forward to present day -- cue making techniques, materials, and technology have come a very long way, but the Southwest brand still commands top dollar and decade long wait times. My brother tried one but was not impressed. I would still eventually like to get one, but given the crazy costs for that brand, I would be happier with a SW styled cue loaded with custom inlays from another premier cue maker. Many SW cues also tend to develop roll over time, so I cannot say that they are built consistently to last.

Zerksies

Waste of time and money.
From what i hear, to get on the list it's free. Eventually they call you years later. When they call you is when you give them a down payment. After that it's probably a year and a half. So the bullshit of this is, say i got on a list about 20 years ago expecting a cue for maybe $1-2k now i'm forking over $5-6k. I'd probably pay it myself I resell them damn thing to guy that don't want to wait.

#1 I'd call them scumbags if they made people pay to get on the list, But they don't so I'm cool with that.
#2 I think the wait is insane and a poor business model. I'd higher people and train them maybe cut the wait down to a few years. But it's not my company.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently not too much because people line-up to get one. Flawlessly made, heirloom grade items always sell well.
Yes! Yes! Yes! There is something about old school simplicity using quality materials by real good craftsmen that appeals to me. I have a feeling I’m not alone.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i don’t care about ivory

budget 3-6k

You might PM Newsheriffintwn . He mention he was two month waiting, but that might be longer now. I bought 2 of his cues..... Loving them.

Reactions: bbb

Sneakypete05

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Toyota Camry and a Six Series BMW are both nice cars. A Tag Heuer and a Timex will both give you the time. A Wilson Combat Executive Supergrade will not shoot three times as well as a Colt Gold Cup. Choosing a pool cue is no different.

DeeDeeCues

A Toyota Camry and a Six Series BMW are both nice cars. A Tag Heuer and a Timex will both give you the time. A Wilson Combat Executive Supergrade will not shoot three times as well as a Colt Gold Cup. Choosing a pool cue is no different.

Your comparisons are mostly off, except for the Tag/Timex.

A SW is not three times an entry model cue, closer to eight times. So...Camry vs 911 GT3 RS is a better comparison.

I haven't ever been impressed with SW. Hit is dead, the materials aren't better than anyone else uses. I give them props for creating a distinct style.