Cue Tip Size And Shape Effects

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's just the same sort of condescending "I know more than you could possibly know" sort of thing, over and over.
Are you saying me to them or them to me? I mean who knows more about CTE than Hal Houle and Stan Shuffett? Didn't stop them from wasting their work and character. Did they ever get chastised or warned? No. We and anyone who uses it got banned or had to leave. Which one of the CTE knockers ever got warned or banned? How about none. You wrote specific rules about knocking aiming systems. Didn't do any good and there were never warnings.

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I'm saying it to you. If anyone were to ask me if I saw a post that you made, my immediate response would be to ask how condescending it was. I don't think your posts were like this years ago, but maybe I'm wrong and just didn't see it back then.

Stan is perfectly able to post anything he wants about CTE or any other aiming method he might believe in. I spent WAY too much time cleaning up threads attacking CTE and anything having to do with it. I personally respect Stan's work a great deal. I've offered him his own subforum with complete editorial control. It pains me though, that he just took his ball and went home.

It has been said many times that it takes a thick skin to participate over here. I do think those comments have a point. Even with moderators trying to keep things under control, some ability to accept criticism when you are putting your work out there like that, is needed.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a PhD “Scientist,” you sure seem very bitter, cynical, mean, childish, and petty (not just from this post, and not just directed at me, but from your entire posting history). I hope for you, and people who might be around you, that you are not like this in person.

Interesting psychoanalysis.

My turn: you have a fragile ego.

Reactions: SEB

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
In response to pvc lou: For a PhD “Scientist,” you sure seem very bitter, cynical, mean, childish, and petty (not just from this post, and not just directed at me, but from your entire posting history). I hope for you, and people who might be around you, that you are not like this in person.
Interesting psychoanalysis.

If by "interesting," you mean "accurate," then I agree.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the effects of shaft diameter and tip shape. Some effects are important to be aware of, but many are not as important an many people might think. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:14 - Shaft/Tip Size
2:04 - Tip Shape
5:56 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

I propose that the thread should now return to interesting and useful discussion, questions, or mature debate about any topics covered in the video. The immature behavior in this thread does not make the AZB forums look like a good place to be. I can't see why anybody (especially potential new members) would want to participate after seeing how some people treat other people in threads like this. Shameful.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm saying it to you. If anyone were to ask me if I saw a post that you made, my immediate response would be to ask how condescending it was. I don't think your posts were like this years ago, but maybe I'm wrong and just didn't see it back then.
Things change. People change. One can take only so much and it kept getting worse and worse with the attacks on us.
Stan is perfectly able to post anything he wants about CTE or any other aiming method he might believe in. I spent WAY too much time cleaning up threads attacking CTE and anything having to do with it. I personally respect Stan's work a great deal. I've offered him his own subforum with complete editorial control. It pains me though, that he just took his ball and went home.
It pained him even more to have to be subjected to the ongoing, uncontrolled, negative onslaught. He didn't go home. A new home was created at FB where he has complete control. There is no bickering. It's a learning process and discussions that go smoothly.
It has been said many times that it takes a thick skin to participate over here. I do think those comments have a point. Even with moderators trying to keep things under control, some ability to accept criticism when you are putting your work out there like that, is needed.
It's been out there for almost 30 years starting with Hal. It's proven itself. Criticism is from the unknowing and those carrying a grudge.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to argue physics because it's totally unnecessary for anyone to play that way. The game is visual with touch and planning routes, that's it.
Look... Your position (and others also) is that thinking about physical concepts is unnecessary to play pool. Yes! You are right. Nobody disagrees with you to some extent.

Further, your position is that even if you don't apply them in real time, just knowing about certain things is not going to help you play better. Yes! Also correct! For example, knowing that a tip contacts a ball for 1.8 milliseconds will not help you in real time in anyway.

So I ask you, what is the harm in learning about things, just for the sake of knowledge? So what if there isn't an application? You waste your time talking about who SVB will beat next, or how much you hate purple 5 balls. Why not also talk about interesting things that may or may not be fully applicable?

Do you not think learning is fun? Did you sit in the back of the class your entire life? Are you allergic to books?

That being said, this peticular case does INDEED have an application. By knowing that tip shape causes contact point variations on the order of muscle movement variations, we can statistically determine how much value worrying about such a thing matters. Just like knowing that if tip contact time is only 1.8ms, I won't spend time thinking that I can affect the ball in some way during tip contact time. If you watch Dr. Dave's video, perhaps when you are playing poorly in your next match you won't let the idea that you need to reshape your tip enter your head to distract you. The more things you can relieve from your head, and keep it clear, the better. This is how it is useful.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Look... Your position (and others also) is that thinking about physical concepts is unnecessary to play pool. Yes! You are right. Nobody disagrees with you to some extent.

Further, your position is that even if you don't apply them in real time, just knowing about certain things is not going to help you play better. Yes! Also correct! For example, knowing that a tip contacts a ball for 1.8 milliseconds will not help you in real time in anyway.

So I ask you, what is the harm in learning about things, just for the sake of knowledge? So what if there isn't an application? You waste your time talking about who SVB will beat next, or how much you hate purple 5 balls. Why not also talk about interesting things?
Where is this coming from? I've never posted about who SVB is going to beat or purple 5 balls. Get your names and act together.
Do you not think learning is fun? Did you sit in the back of the class your entire life? Are you allergic to books?

That being said, this peticular case does INDEED have an application. By knowing that tip shape causes contact point variations on the order of muscle movement variations, we can statistically determine how much value worrying about such a thing matters. If you watch Dr. Dave's video, perhaps when you are playing poorly in your next match you won't let the idea that you need to reshape your tip enter your head to distract you. The more things you can relieve from your head the better.
Listen, I really have no clue who you are, what you do, or anything for that matter. I also have zero desire to communicate with you or read your posts. You're now on IGNORE. Save your energy because I can't see it.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I propose that the thread should now return to interesting and useful discussion, questions, or mature debate about any topics covered in the video. The immature behavior in this thread does not make the AZB forums look like a good place to be. I can't see why anybody (especially potential new members) would want to participate after seeing how some people treat other people in threads like this. Shameful.
Yes, but first, I need to be honest and point out that despite how some members here are jabronish, Reddit is way worse than AZB. Suprisingly the blackout after covid caused the site to turn into social media, with the median age of users around 15 years old. There aren't people there that have true interests in anything substantial. Immature by definition, not by exception.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the effects of shaft diameter and tip shape. Some effects are important to be aware of, but many are not as important an many people might think. Check it out:

Contents:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Contents:

Enjoy!
If I had to choose, I would say diameter is more "important" than shape. There are many players who absolutely should not be using less than 12.5mm tips. Sometimes, you just don't know what you don't know, until you know.
😉

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jesus...a thesis. Unfortunately, a Ph.D. for all of this has a different meaning. Pool hall Dolt! :ROFLMAO:
Web,
Why the constant ankle biting? I have never witnessed the good "Dr." post anything that he professed to be gospel. You and I have never had any personal beef, and I would like to believe that we have had several cordial interactions. That being said, please try to contain your responses when replying to informational posts.

It's no wonder folks tire of coming here to contribute. This place benefits from more information/opinion, not less. I would appreciate your cooperation going forward.
Best regards
😎
j2

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks,
Let's return this thread to some form of civil discourse. The video posted was informational. If you have issues with the content, please address your concerns without the body blows.
Thank you sincerely
👍
j2

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks,
Let's return this thread to some form of civil discourse. The video posted was informational. If you have issues with the content, please address your concerns without the body blows.
Thank you sincerely
👍
j2

Thank you. For those interested, here's the video:

Zerksies

Web,
Why the constant ankle biting? I have never witnessed the good "Dr." post anything that he professed to be gospel. You and I have never had any personal beef, and I would like to believe that we have had several cordial interactions. That being said, please try to contain your responses when replying to informational posts.

It's no wonder folks tire of coming here to contribute. This place benefits from more information/opinion, not less. I would appreciate your cooperation going forward.
Best regards
😎
j2
Too many here beleive that this is the gospel and others force others to belive that this is. I've seen this here quite a few times. As i say the Fanboys will bully anyone that has anything to say against DD's principals and do it viciously. People need to devlope their own opinion on things.