Cue to chin

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After friends tried to convince me of how advantageous having your chin on the cue was, I proceeded to rationalize my response as to why I couldn't. Watching so many players at the DCC, all ages, body types, etc., shoot with their chin on the cue (some actually below), I definitely have a new goal. How close is your chin to the cue on average. Was it natural or learned ?

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
I usually ride my chin on my cue, but I also practically lay on the table. I get as low as possible on the shot and watch it sink.

It seems natural to me to shoot like that, I feel more comfortable with keeping my stance all through the shot.

JC

Coos Cues
After friends tried to convince me of how advantageous having your chin on the cue was, I proceeded to rationalize my response as to why I couldn't. Watching so many players at the DCC, all ages, body types, etc., shoot with their chin on the cue (some actually below), I definitely have a new goal. How close is your chin to the cue on average. Was it natural or learned ?

Many of the greatest players of all time do not shoot with their chins close to the cue. There is no evidence of a correlation between this stance and potting accuracy. It works good for some and not for others. I would not make this a goal if it's not what you feel comfortable with. There's too many other things to improve on to worry about this.

JC

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Right. I noticed Shannon Daulton has his chin quite a bit lower than the cue and he's a beefy guy like me. I went to the table and found out I could get down that low after all, just have to commit to doing it. I was amazed how easy it is to see how straight the cue is moving (or not in my case). I was able to tighten things up considerably, but aiming was off so I missed a lot of shots. Still, something new to tinker with.

motic

Blahaha
I worry about this alot as my chin does not get as close to the cue as I would like.

I start to worry that my fundamentals are wrong, or im not extending my bridge arm enough, my stance is not correct, or I don't have my weight adjusted properly ect......

I start trying to change all these different things to try and get my chin closer without being uncomfortable and I start to play like shit. Its frustrating.

1ab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the greatest players of all time do not shoot with their chins close to the cue. There is no evidence of a correlation between this stance and potting accuracy. It works good for some and not for others. I would not make this a goal if it's not what you feel comfortable with. There's too many other things to improve on to worry about this.

JC
This fact became evident to me as I watched many "vintage" matches. What I find interesting is change occurring to increase performance levels. There seems to be a natural evolvement toward success in every sport. This shooting position seems to be appealing to many pros.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I learned it early on. Naturally we all want to stand up and not stoop over, it's uncomfortable sometimes but necessary. I used to lightly brush my chin and occasionally I'd whack myself on a power stroke.

I dunno if there's scientific evidence it's better, but it's common sense.

It's easier to see how thickly you're cutting the object ball, and where you're placing the cue tip, when you're nice and low on the shot. On a longer shot, you can get the tip, the cue ball, the object ball all, and the pocket all in one 'shot picture'. But if you stand upright you may find the OB/pocket are way at the top of the picture, while the tip and cue ball are way at the bottom. You can't keep them all in view at the same time when standing upright.

In old westerns you might see guys firing from the hip, but watch competitive archery or pistol shooting, they get their eyes where the barrel/arrow is.

PS: 1ab has a point about old-time players standing upright, but there's usually a reason if modern players do something differently than the old-timers... in ALL sports. In this case it's probably because in the old days people played straight pool, and if played well the game rarely has a lot of long 'testers' whereas you might shoot a long shot every single game of a race to ten in 10-ball.

Good on you for letting go of your ego and being receptive to instruction and checking things out for yourself. IMO this is part of your fundamentals and you cannot choose to put it on the back burner.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Once again I agree with Mr. CreeDo. I am a very low head player with a very 'level' cue for most all shots. I tried gettting my chin onto my cue after watching Allison Fisher a lot but it was not for me. One reason I am right eye dominant & have always had the cue under my right eye & getting my head that extra bit lower made me look too much out of the top of my eye sockets.

All that being said, I would certainly suggest that one get as low as is comfortably possible, both in head(eye) & cue butt position ('level' cue).

Regards to You &

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I actually bruise my chin from time to time with stroke shots. (and I'm 6'2", so it's quite a crouch for me.) Lately I've been lining my shot up from and erect position at the forward pause position, then lowering down to the low stance. That initial pause at the erect position seems to really line me up well.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
I worry about this alot as my chin does not get as close to the cue as I would like.

I start to worry that my fundamentals are wrong, or im not extending my bridge arm enough, my stance is not correct, or I don't have my weight adjusted properly ect......

I start trying to change all these different things to try and get my chin closer without being uncomfortable and I start to play like shit. Its frustrating.

Sounds to me you are worried about TOO many things besides making the ball and getting shape. Your stance should be almost second nature. Try to have fun and if anything think about making the ball and cue ball control.

Thebigtexan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6 foot and 380lbs.. I get real low on the cue as well. I find if I try to set up a bit away from the playing surface I cannot seem to get my angles right. It came natural to me as a way to play, not by copying a pro, but by what works for me. I have a buddy that shoots at almost standing straight up and he murders me on a regular basis on the tables. So no right or wrong for me, just what feels natural and fits the line of sight I prefer.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
It provides a much more stable platform and provides points of reference for consistency, it absolutely is more accurate.
Theres a reason why it's the position of choice for snooker players and the reason the likes of Melling & co are such deadly potters.
I personally have never seen a stand up player with a good long game and as tables get tighter and maybe even bigger you need to adapt or be left behind.
More than ever if you thought mechanics and fundamentals were not that big of a factor think again.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
One thing that it helps with....

Having your chin on your cue gives you a tactile frame of reference to know if you are pulling up.

It also helps to prevent elbow drop, at least it helps to prevent elbow drop prior to stroking through the ball.

Jaden

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to get low enough to get cue to chin, but never so low as to get balls to chin.:smile:

^thats funny.

I'm one of those guys whose chin hovers way above the shaft but shoot as straight as anybody when I'm in dead punch.

To each is own I guess.

9baller90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every snooker player does it. Definitely helps your potting, but harder to have a powerful stroke with your head that low.

strokin'myshaft

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only minus for me with chin on the cue is that I have to use powder on my chin to reduce friction. I've been looking for a "chin glove" but no luck yet.:shakehead:

J-Flo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my words

When I asked a pro who was doing a demo at a state tournament if he had to get so low. He said " When you shoot a gun you look down the barrel so why no why not when you shoot pool" . Just passing it on. For the record Im 6ft 250 and I get pretty low but I bend my knees