Cues that have won Major Tournaments

VTtuna

I am sure there are well documented winners of every major tournament but how about the cues they are playing with for those huge wins? I thought it would be cool to showcase/ talk about some awesome wins and the beautiful and or not so beautiful cues that made it across the finish line. For example, didn’t Shane win his first US Open with a Schon? I look forward to hearing your responses .

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the past 20 years, its been almost exclusively Predator and Cuetec winning majors.

The only one I can think of custom in current years is Ko Pin Yi's Zen cue.

In 2015 Shannon Daulton won the DCC Banks with a super nice custom cue made for him. I forgot the brand.

Further back Shane's Joss cue with his name in the points, (although he was a junior with that cue, so it did not win any majors). Efren's $15 Filipino cue, and a ton of high end custom cues before the production cue sponsorships took over.

VTtuna

I miss all th
For the past 20 years, its been almost exclusively Predator and Cuetec winning majors.

In 2015 Shannon Daulton won the DCC Banks with a super nice custom cue made for him. I forgot the brand.

Further back Shane's Joss cue with his name in the points, (although he was a junior with that cue, so it did not win any majors). Efren's $15 Filipino cue, and a ton of high end custom cues before the production cue sponsorships took ove

Further back Shane's Joss cue with his name in the points, (although he was a junior with that cue, so it did not win any majors). Efren's $15 Filipino cue, and a ton of high end custom cues before the production cue sponsorships took over.
I miss seeing the pros play with high end custom cues. I’d love to see Shane, Earl or Fedor playing with a southwest or a szamboti or anything other then what a “normie” can buy at Seyberts

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss all th

I miss seeing the pros play with high end custom cues. I’d love to see Shane, Earl or Fedor playing with a southwest or a szamboti or anything other then what a “normie” can buy at Seyberts
they haven't for years. custom makers can't afford the sponsorship $$ the 'big boys' can dole out. kinda surprised Alcaide signed with Pechauer and Appleton with Tiger, neither are big compared to Cuetec, Pred or even Mezz.

shooter_Hans

Professional equipment won the most.

You will hardly see a guy using his 20k Blackboar. LOL

It's good to talk about because Tiger Woods still has his famous Scotty putter that won him his major.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The main reason production cues are majority winners in last couple decades is sponsorship.
I asked a few years ago what would be the winning cues if players had to buy their own.

shooter_Hans

The main reason production cues are majority winners in last couple decades is sponsorship.
I asked a few years ago what would be the winning cues if players had to buy their own.
I still think they would rather play with professional equipment than customs. They are good enough to play with a broomstick but given the choice of shafts then most will go with carbon and its counterpart butt.

We all tend to do the same. If you were in a money match or something at stake or even a tournament then I think a trusty Mezz, Predator or Cuetec will be the choice.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I still think they would rather play with professional equipment than customs. They are good enough to play with a broomstick but given the choice of shafts then most will go with carbon and its counterpart butt.

We all tend to do the same. If you were in a money match or something at stake or even a tournament then I think a trusty Mezz, Predator or Cuetec will be the choice.
My road cues were a ‘68 Joss and an early 70s Szamboti….I’ve taken some big wins off the wall staying under cover but if the player was tough, I went to the truck for my playing cues.
First time I met Danny Jane, I skunked a guy at one of Zuglan’s tournaments….he introduced himself and said he didn’t have a first year cue in his collection, would I like to sell it? I said “Certainly, all I need is a half hour in your shop with an empty truck.”
He laughed, said “You like it that much, huh?”

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

My road cues were a ‘68 Joss and an early 70s Szamboti….I’ve taken some big wins off the wall staying under cover but if the player was tough, I went to the truck for my playing cues.
First time I met Danny Jane, I skunked a guy at one of Zuglan’s tournaments….he introduced himself and said he didn’t have a first year cue in his collectio, would I like to sell it? I said “Certainly, all I need is a half hour in your shop with an empty truck.”
Good story. Do you still have them?

Don't know what they had on the wall at the time but a new Duff is real good.

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
First time I met Danny Jane, I skunked a guy at one of Zuglan’s tournaments….he introduced himself and said he didn’t have a first year cue in his collectio, would I like to sell it? I said “Certainly, all I need is a half hour in your shop with an empty truck.”
Do you still have either of those cues? Would love to see them.

shooter_Hans

I love to hear these stories when guys were playing with cues on the regular that would be godly expensive now. There are old timers at my pool hall that said they played with a Tad or a Gina when they were younger. Fast forward today those are high end cues with a lot of value. I would ask what happened to those cues and a lot of them gave them away because they got married or had kids.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More interesting question: What's the worst/cheapest cue used to win a major tournament?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Do you still have either of those cues? Would love to see them.
Good story. Do you still have them?

Don't know what they had on the wall at the time but a new Duff is real good.
I still got the Joss…it’s been my one pocket cue for a long time.
In ‘95, some kids took a window out of my truck….got the Szamboti. I had told Gary Spaeth that when I got too old to use it, it was going back to the family, his kid would get his grandfather’s cue. I had to tell him it was gone.
….kids knew nothing about cues…they took the biggest case and 5 sneaky Petes, left 7 brand new Josses, cheapest one was $750. Gary is gone now too, and his kid doesn’t have the Szamboti….still makes me sad.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

I still got the Joss…it’s been my one pocket cue for a long time.
In ‘95, some kids took a window out of my truck….got the Szamboti. I had told Gary Spaeth that when I got too old to use it, it was going back to the family, his kid would get his grandfather’s cue. I had to tell him it was gone.
….kids knew nothing about cues…they took the biggest case and 5 sneaky Pete, left 7 brand new Josses, cheapest one was $750. Gary is gone now too, and his kid doesn’t have the Szamboti….still makes me sad.
Wow. Thanks for the story. Feels good and sad at the same time.