Cuetec carbon shaft review

rackemfr9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was fortunate enough to be given one of these carbon shafts by the fine folks at Cuetec/Imperial while attending the BCA trade show. I work at Championship fabrics and am fortunate to have tables to play on, in my office. I'm super thankful to be given the opportunity to test, play with and give feedback on this shaft. I'm not sure they knew how critical I can get, but I was excited!

Disclosure: I have no allegiance nor partnership/arrangement with either Cuetec or Imperial, whatsoever! I do like them and obviously its mutual but at the end of the day, I'm an honest person. And I play :thumbup:

I have literally played twice if not 3 times a day since my return with it. I have gotten to know this shaft in a short amount of time. Yes, I believe 2-3 weeks is still a short amount of time when playing with what is essentially a new cue.

My cue is a Dan Lynch 8pt with a radial pin. The whole cue is on the fatter side and the 2 wood shafts are all of 13mm. This is something I'm not typically a fan of. My Phillipe shaft is around 12.3 and its a drastic difference in feel and play. Both have pros and cons during match play. One I like on a 7ft, the other on a 9ft. This info plays a part in it all.

The shaft:
When I hit my first few balls, I missed a few routine shots that were all off angle. It took a few more misses to really figure out what was going on in the transition of aim to hit to contact point with the object ball. It was exaggerated English! I was throwing balls off target left and right. I adjusted by shortening my stroke and reeling in the English. Straight and long table shots were so nice that I couldn't feel the energy put forth through the cue, in the hand. It feels like positive energy or a sweet spot. A very rewarding feeling if your long and straight game suffers. Its the shot I feel the lowest percentage with. Also, slightly jacked up with no deflection (or minimal) is a great feeling and fuels confidence.

About a week into playing everyday, my game got tighter and tighter. Balls were going exactly where I needed them to with proper speed. The shaft was again feeling like an extension of the arm. The English the cue delivers is excellent, sometimes exaggerated. Whether it be force follow or draw, a reminder not to over hit is constant.

Ferrule:
The white ferrule is great! I'm a huge fan of seeing the white as opposed to not having it there at all. It's not big and bulky yet not quite as small as a carom size. It gives the "regular shaft" feel while stroking. An important detail for us nutso pool players.

sound:
The sound is more of a normal cue and does not have a loud "ping" or "clang." I believe Joe (a member) shared the same sentiments and I agreed with his words. Don't get me wrong, the sound is a tad different but it sounds a lot closer to normal than abnormal.

Diameter:
The shaft is 12.5 and weighs 3.8oz to where my 13mm wood shaft weighs 4oz. They are very close in weight. I believe the 12.5 is a perfect size for playability and feel. In wood shafts, a thicker shaft loses some short game but gains in long table shots and vice versa with a skinny shaft but the carbon shaft does it all, with greatness.

Tip:
The tip I'm playing with is a Black Heart. I've never played with one
previously but I can say this... its taking an absolute beating from breaks and hard shots. The tip has not lost its form or feel. It plays very well so far. I plan on taking the tip down a little more to where I like, but its nothing more than feel and preference. Will keep it for now.

In closing, I want to keep playing with this setup. The shaft is really really good and I wouldn't mind if I never played with a wood shaft ever again!

Bill Dunne

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Cue

Hello bill,
Sounds great, Tim over at imperial is a rock solid guy that cares about the sport and the products.
Keep up the good work champ.

Rob.M

POOLPLYR1111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shaft

do you know what the standard tip will be on these shafts or if they will offer options?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
great review...:thumbup:
wish i could try one...(insert hopeful face :))

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really want to try one. I tried the BK Rush and the Revo... Just didn't care for it. But I would certainly like to give Cuetec a go when they release it.

rackemfr9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really want to try one. I tried the BK Rush and the Revo... Just didn't care for it. But I would certainly like to give Cuetec a go when they release it.

I have also played with a Revo. I prefer the hit, feel, visual and sound of the Cuetec. I purposely left those cues out of this review because I do believe there is a distinct difference between the 2. On most shots. They are equal on a center ball straight shot, minus the sound.

This shaft will be a hit with players, hope you get to play with one before too long.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also played with a Revo. I prefer the hit, feel, visual and sound of the Cuetec. I purposely left those cues out of this review because I do believe there is a distinct difference between the 2. On most shots. They are equal on a center ball straight shot, minus the sound.

This shaft will be a hit with players, hope you get to play with one before too long.

Thanks.., I hope so too. I love new tech and I currently play with a Mezz. I could never get use to the Revo or the feedback from it. Thanks again for a good honest review.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great review, but curious if you've tried out the Revo for any length of time, to be able to make a fair comparison between the two?

rackemfr9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great review, but curious if you've tried out the Revo for any length of time, to be able to make a fair comparison between the two?

I have played with 3 different ones. The first Revo was for maybe 30 mins. The other times have been at my league. My teammate has one and a guy on a different team as well. To answer your question, yes & no. Not enough time to feel at home with it but enough to know the characteristics. Revo is stiffer. They have different tapers, looks and feel. Revo's taper starts much sooner than the Cuetec. I prefer the longer thinner (European style taper) of the Cuetec but that's me. 1 of the cues tips I liked, one was way too hard and the other needs a tip currently but a good soft tip.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How are they compared to shots that are not straight with center ball?

For example:

.75 ball hit hard and pocket speed?
.50 ball " """"""""""""""""""
.25 ball " """""""""""""""""
~.12 ball """""""""""""""""""

Thanks

Edit:

Also, what length was the shaft?
Do you know what lengths are gonna be offered?

Thanks again,
Rake

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec vs. Revo = Tough Choice To Make

I previously posted on a thread about Revo shafts how I did not like the absence of a ferrule.
Tommy Hill has a prototype shaft Cuetec shared with him some time ago and I tried it versus the
Revo. The two shafts seemd very comparable and so close it was indistinguishable except for
the most important aspect, at least in my opinion. The sight picture on the CueTec was so much
better versus the Revo shaft, even with its gold Predator tip. It was a natural fit to what my eyes
are accustomed to seeing & stroking the cue ball was easier with Cuetec's carbon shaft & ferrule.