Cuetec CF Shaft

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah....you and about half the members on the forums.

Cuetec is probably going to make a LOT of money the first year the new shaft hits the market. Stock options??? :groucho:

Maniac

It will be good to have some competition in that market. Predator is a more well-respected cue maker, but if anyone knows how to make cues with different materials, it’s Cuetec.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not a ferrule. A ferrule is designed to contain the inner material. The Revo has a cap+plug style protection. Definitely not a ferrule on the Revo.

On that bases, most cues don't have ferrules either. The only cues with a true ferrule are Snooker cues, with a brass ferrule. In the world or marketing and hype, it is perception that a ferrule makes a cue have more front end mass and more deflection. It is a play on words.
All Carbon cue shafts have some form of ferrule to support the tip and transfer the energy in the cue shaft. They also need to have some way of preventing the inner tube from collapsing from the constant hammering from the hits.
If the inner is not supported, the outer of the shaft will splinter and fail.
Neil

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On that bases, most cues don't have ferrules either. The only cues with a true ferrule are Snooker cues, with a brass ferrule. In the world or marketing and hype, it is perception that a ferrule makes a cue have more front end mass and more deflection. It is a play on words.
All Carbon cue shafts have some form of ferrule to support the tip and transfer the energy in the cue shaft. They also need to have some way of preventing the inner tube from collapsing from the constant hammering from the hits.
If the inner is not supported, the outer of the shaft will splinter and fail.
Neil

The 1” ferrules are from tradition, and they evolved to be that way because of their tendency to break while smaller. ‘New’ materials have allowed makers to deviate from tradition, and they truely are considered ferrules. Either way you aren’t right at all. Ferrules are ferrules, and plugs are plugs. The Revo uses a plug.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been playing much lately, but the 12.9 Revo has been my playing shaft for a while now. About a week ago I had the opportunity to play with the latest Cuetec CF shaft for a few hours. It had the new white "ferrule" and was 12.5 mm. There was no adjustment needed for deflection and it hit better (IMHO) than the Revo. It felt more solid, less "pingy"/hollow than the Revo and the white insert definitely helped with aiming/alignment. They will be available in many different joint configurations and will be around the $450 price point. I'll see if I can get pics and an OK to post some up tomorrow....

OnePercent

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am fine without the white ferrule since I got used to aiming without it.
However $450 is a bit steep.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The primary benefit is energy transfer. More power with less input. The secondary advantage is extremely low deflection. Finally, the dent proof aspect and smoothness is nice. Those are the main reasons anyone cares about the Revo or similar carbon fiber shafts.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Also, players like to buy new stuff. That is probably the #1 reason LOL

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t hear an exact price, but I heard they would be a little but not a lot cheaper than the Revo. The $450 retail seems in line with that.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've gotten used to the snow white Becue shaft. When I play with a wood shaft now, the shaft looks yellow and the grain makes the shaft look curvy...even though it is not.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s too bad, aren’t the revos in that neighborhood?

Revo's list at a snipet under $500.00 IF you can find them. You can always find used ones on eBay or FB and have to pay $550 to $650 for them.

If Cuetec can keep up with the demand, which Predator hasn't, they should do well with them at $450 …. as plastic shafts will be become more and more popular (IMHO).

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revo's list at a snipet under $500.00 IF you can find them. You can always find used ones on eBay or FB and have to pay $550 to $650 for them.

If Cuetec can keep up with the demand, which Predator hasn't, they should do well with them at $450 …. as plastic shafts will be become more and more popular (IMHO).

Is that a shaft only price, or complete cue?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that a shaft only price, or complete cue?
The shaft's price is in the conversation and somehow I'm not surprised much that it is not as much cheaper as many could expect. Why go cheaper if they will meet great demand anyway? Plus Predator won't feel as bad after Cuetec's shaft is available but they will have to do something with more joint configurations and so on if they don't want to lose their customers.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if they will off smaller sizes, such as 12 mm, 11.75 mm?

Also, how about length? 30" or 31" would be a great selling point.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Does anyone know if they will off smaller sizes, such as 12 mm, 11.75 mm?

Also, how about length? 30" or 31" would be a great selling point.

Yeah, I'd be in the market for one in 30" (with the right joint) simply because I'm planning on not having all my money left in the bank when I die.

Maniac

OnePercent

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft's price is in the conversation and somehow I'm not surprised much that it is not as much cheaper as many could expect. Why go cheaper if they will meet great demand anyway?

If Cuetec's price is too close the Predator, many buyers might just wait for Predator.

Here are a few things I heard:

1. 12.5mm should be available for a play shaft.

2. 13 to 13.5mm for a break shaft.

3. Will develop shaft which fit for other brand cues.

Looking forward to the break version as well. Since I am using a Predator at the moment, I am interested to see if Cuetec will make an uniloc joint version.
The only potential problem is the fitting of the joint collar.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Cuetec's price is too close the Predator, many buyers might just wait for Predator.

Looking forward to the break version as well. Since I am using a Predator at the moment, I am interested to see if Cuetec will make an uniloc joint version.

I will be glad when more companies realize the market for c.f. cues and bring competition to the table which would most definitely bring the price down enough to make it affordable for most everyone.

As for cuetecs 12.5 diameter, well, the revo is already 12.4. We need a smaller shaft. Preferably in the 11.75 to 12 mm range.

I'm starting to lose hope that cuetec is gonna be the company that offered a c.f. like a wooden shaft.... i.e. various diameters, lengths and pins.

I'm sure there is tech difficulties that may be hard to overcome but "whom ever" does bring those options in a revo-like shaft will OWN the cue business for a good while.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what those options bring.

Anything less and it means only getting "part" of the market then predator will come back with said options. Then it will be too late.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If the customer will get more options with Cuetec c.f. shaft :
- for all most popular joint pins
- additional length 30" and 31" available
- at least one smaller diameter available because I quess quite a lot are used to smaller than 12,5 mm and it's not like with a wooden shaft where you can easily modify the taper if you like.
If they manage to offer these options and customers will be happy with the hit & feel and do not have to wait for them as with Revos than I don't see the reason why someone's going to wait long for a Revo. Just common sense.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is going to be a limit to how small they can make the diameter of Carbon Fiber Shafts. You may never see a 11.75 or smaller.

Maybe production of the Revo has slowed so Predator can introduce the Revo Mark II.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be glad when more companies realize the market for c.f. cues and bring competition to the table which would most definitely bring the price down enough to make it affordable for most everyone.

As for cuetecs 12.5 diameter, well, the revo is already 12.4. We need a smaller shaft. Preferably in the 11.75 to 12 mm range.

I'm starting to lose hope that cuetec is gonna be the company that offered a c.f. like a wooden shaft.... i.e. various diameters, lengths and pins.

I'm sure there is tech difficulties that may be hard to overcome but "whom ever" does bring those options in a revo-like shaft will OWN the cue business for a good while.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what those options bring.

Anything less and it means only getting "part" of the market then predator will come back with said options. Then it will be too late.

BeCue has been doing that for over a year now.
Multiple sizes, multiple lengths, multiple joints.

I have 11.8mm....12 mm...31" shaft length.

Contact them and you'd be surprised.
As far as CF goes they are the only company making shafts at the buyers specifications.

http://www.becueofficial.com/

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I’m wrong... hasn’t every single cuetech been 58” on the nose, and with their joint thread that fits nothing else? And maybe even a smaller than typical joint collar diameter?

And also have they never sold aftermarket shafts to fit other brands?

If all or most of the above is true, why would anyone think they will make a CF shaft of various lengths, diameters, and joints, to fit other brands?

I’d bet a dozen donuts you will only be able to buy a complete cue from them in order to get the CF shaft.