curving an object ball....

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These videos show the high inside spin I posted about earlier. It helps the turn as it grabs the cloth, like the cue ball in a follow stroke.

You can also bank around balls with topspin by getting a little hop off of the rail. The ball slides over to a clear angle before the top spin on it grabs the cloth. This is probably the real point of contention in this thread. People are debating two different strokes.

The banked ball seems to want to curve when I use inside spin on the bank more, but it will still curve with a center hit.

Best,
Mike

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the setup in the following video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeeKEudvx8g
Here is the video, Bob a check or money order will be fine. PM me for the address.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkRs_m2Br3c I do not have Johns stroke or knowledge but I believe you can see from the set up that the ball is curving, almost to center of the pocket on a couple of shots. Also note that the ball hits the rail well ahead of the blocker on the rail, which means there is more curve to the ball than just enough to make it in the pocket.
Mark
One more thing, in the videos I posted earlier in this thread, I was using the wrong stroke. I went back and watched Johns DVD and figured out my mistake, I called John and discussed it with him and this is the result. It is in how you stroke the ball that results in the correct action..
Didn't happen. Your camera was moving or should have been moving. You touched the 4-ball with your finger, so you introduced a variable. You didn't show the entire room. You're width measuring thingy isn't calibrated, nor is it proven that the edges are parallel....

Great job, btw. 3m22s shows why it curves. The ball does hop and turns in air. The axis rotates, so now we have standard Coriolis.

Freddie <~~~ it was just as ridiculous to type it!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how many items in the scientific realm, are simply accepted as fact, even though they haven't been proven yet.

Are there any cases of that? Hmmmm?
Something that has yet to be proven that is assumed to be true?:rolleyes:

Interesting post here. I wonder what it's referring to?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I don't really see why it should be impossible for the ball to turn, scientifically speaking? You if you shoot hard with high or possibly high inside, the cueball is slightly airborne as it hits downward on the objectball on the side opposite to the side you are cutting it. If you imagine the ball as a cue (though an ineffective one), this will be the same as a delayed massè. The ball bounces to the rail, remains airborne for a while after rail contact, and the slight massè takes as it lands. Seems reasonable to me. Or is it a stipulation that the ball must me in contact with the cloth at all times?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't really see why it should be impossible for the ball to turn, scientifically speaking? You if you shoot hard with high or possibly high inside, the cueball is slightly airborne as it hits downward on the objectball on the side opposite to the side you are cutting it. If you imagine the ball as a cue (though an ineffective one), this will be the same as a delayed massè. The ball bounces to the rail, remains airborne for a while after rail contact, and the slight massè takes as it lands. Seems reasonable to me. Or is it a stipulation that the ball must me in contact with the cloth at all times?

I think it's more like bar pool. Somebody was asked to show curve, so he does. But, it can't end like that in bar pool. Somebody always has to make up technicalities and stipulations until the player just gives up and walks out the door. In the end, you have a bunch of useless, unrelated stipulations, and no decent players in the house to play.

We call them, "bar rules." It fits.

Freddie <~~~ disgusted with the invention of bar rules.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's more like bar pool. Somebody was asked to show curve, so he does. But, it can't end like that in bar pool. Somebody always has to make up technicalities and stipulations until the player just gives up and walks out the door. In the end, you have a bunch of useless, unrelated stipulations, and no decent players in the house to play.

Like - eight ball corner.... it goes but hits tit on the way in and guy says YOU DIDNT CALL A BANK!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not disgusted with Bob's approach. He always has these clever but definitive demonstrations of effects like throw and curve. If you can do it, you can convince yourself that it can be done. It's real to you now. It's the approach that really drew me to pool in the first place, when I read Byrne's book (which referred to Bob Jewett), and then later with Dr. Dave's videos (with Bob again). I don't understand how any pool player wouldn't be drawn to that approach like flies. :confused:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not disgusted with Bob's approach. He always has these clever but definitive demonstrations of effects like throw and curve. If you can do it, you can convince yourself that it can be done. It's real to you now. It's the approach that really drew me to pool in the first place, when I read Byrne's book (which referred to Bob Jewett), and then later with Dr. Dave's videos (with Bob again). I don't understand how any pool player wouldn't be drawn to that approach like flies. :confused:

No offense , but some see it as they get beat to death by some players that are totally " unscientific ". I like the sciences just saying

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense , but some see it as they get beat to death by some players that are totally " unscientific ". I like the sciences just saying

Yeah I think I can see that. I just don't see it in this thread. When I see all the insults hurled at Dr. Dave et al., and the dismissal of a clever demonstration of curve as just dumb bar rules nitpicking, it seems to me the "beating to death" all goes in the other direction. Maybe I just haven't seen as much of the past history of beatings going the other way.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is getting 2K.
That would never happen IMO.
There would be some technicality to paying it off.
This didn't happen, that didn't happen.
The stars didn't align, etc etc.

This video CLEARLY demonstrates curve swerve non straight trajectories.
Doubt he's gonna get any jelly for that cause he made it look too easy. LOL:rolleyes:

That charge would be, on several levels, impugning the integrity of Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave. You have no basis for doing that.

I would call it an epic fail.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't happen. Your camera was moving or should have been moving. You touched the 4-ball with your finger, so you introduced a variable. You didn't show the entire room. You're width measuring thingy isn't calibrated, nor is it proven that the edges are parallel....

Great job, btw. 3m22s shows why it curves. The ball does hop and turns in air. The axis rotates, so now we have standard Coriolis.

Freddie <~~~ it was just as ridiculous to type it!

Surprised, Freddy.

Lou Figueroa
oh well
lost another
good one

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I think I can see that. I just don't see it in this thread. When I see all the insults hurled at Dr. Dave et al., and the dismissal of a clever demonstration of curve as just dumb bar rules nitpicking, it seems to me the "beating to death" all goes in the other direction. Maybe I just haven't seen as much of the past history of beatings going the other way.

Th only dumb bar rules that I can see here is a bunch of drunks saying, "I know weze was were racin' to sevon but I git to five. Close enough in this bar."

Lou Figueroa

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the setup in the following video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeeKEudvx8g
Here is the video, Bob a check or money order will be fine. PM me for the address.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkRs_m2Br3c I do not have Johns stroke or knowledge but I believe you can see from the set up that the ball is curving, almost to center of the pocket on a couple of shots. Also note that the ball hits the rail well ahead of the blocker on the rail, which means there is more curve to the ball than just enough to make it in the pocket.
Mark,

Excellent video work, and nice shooting! That is definitely a convincing demonstration of post-rebound curve, which is what have been looking for. It is not even close to the amount of curve needed to satisfy the $2000 Bank Bend Challenge, but at least it clearly shows the bend in a convincing way. Again, excellent job!

FYI, soon, Bob and I plan to create a simplified and slightly-easier version of the challenge along with a video demonstrating how to document attempts. I hope you will participate. Bob and I will still be offering $2000 for the first person who can bend the bank the required amount. Originally, Bob's challenge required one to curve around an obstacle more than half the width of an obstacle ball (plus any clearance). The new version of the challenge will only require a bend around 1" of an obstacle (less than half a ball)! This might sound easy, but it is still a lot more curve than you have demonstrated; although, it might be possible with the right shot, favorable conditions, and a perfect hit. And if nobody is able to grab the $2000 prize by beating the challenge, we will have a consolation prize of $200 for the person who is able to bend the ball the most (i.e., more than anybody else). This will be paid even if nobody succeeds at the $2000 challenge. Bob and I will post detailed rules and provide a detailed video demonstration of how to document attempts. We hope to have this ready within a week or so. People working on the challenge should probably wait before creating and posting final videos so their attempts will qualify for the new challenge.

Again, great job. I hope you are able to fine tune the angle to the rail, cut angle, ball distances, and hit (speed, tip position, and cue elevation) to get even more curve. Good luck with the new and easier version of the challenge. We will release it as soon as it is ready. I look forward to seeing how much more you can bend the ball.

Catch you later,
Dave

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is getting 2K.
That would never happen IMO.
There would be some technicality to paying it off.
This didn't happen, that didn't happen.
The stars didn't align, etc etc.

This video CLEARLY demonstrates curve swerve non straight trajectories.
Doubt he's gonna get any jelly for that cause he made it look too easy. LOL:rolleyes:

The ball appeared to curve. Great but he was not going for the money or he would have set it up some what close to what Dr. Dave requested. Posted a single video and not done so much cutting away back and forth.

As to the money Bob Jewett added 10k per year to the Derby 14.1 for the first 5 years. That was $50k out of his pocket to support that single event. So you think these 2 guys that do so much to support pool will not pay $2k out. Believe me if they say do this we will give you this, I 100% believe they will pay.

Whatever you ever done Superstar good for pool other than gripe and snipe on the internet? Are you a player of some repute? Do you put on pool events and add funding out of your own pocket?

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
That charge would be, on several levels, impugning the integrity of Bob Jewett and Dr. Dave. You have no basis for doing that.

I would call it an epic fail.

Lou Figueroa

Not my problem.
They could have all the integrity in the world.
I still don't think someone is gonna pay 2k to see this shot videoed in proper fashion.

Sorry if I am a skeptic when it comes to money and pool.
There is a reason I am like that though.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Whatever you ever done Superstar good for pool other than gripe and snipe on the internet? Are you a player of some repute? Do you put on pool events and add funding out of your own pocket?

Please. Just stop with this argument. LOL
I've supported my local pool rooms for over 25 years by being a regular customer.
Should I have done more for pool to be able to criticize in this thread?

So only people who add money to pool events out of their pocket for the love of the game or pool promoters are the true pool heroes?
They are the only ones who have valid opinions?

In that case, let me get out my checkbook. Who do I make it out to?

Yeah, right! LOL
Keep dreaming.