Cushion and Point Compression Shots

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a variety of cushion and point compression shots, where the cushion or point needs to deform to make a shot possible. Check it out:

Shots covered [with timestamp links] include:
- Intro [0:00]
1 – Kicking Out of a Frozen Trap [0:10]
2 – Kicking and Banking Through a Gap [1:23]
3 – Jumping a Coin into a Glass [2:09]
4 – Compressing the Cushion to Change a Frozen Angle [2:31]
5 – Going Rail-First for CB Control [3:15]
6 – Compressing the Cushion to Cheat an Angle [4:49]
7 – Avoiding Bank Shot Double Kisses [6:26]
8 – Using the Pocket Facing to Shorten a Bank [7:41]
9 – Jumping and Compressing to Allow a Bank to Clear [8:28]
10 – Compressing a Pocket Point [9:28]
11 – Kicking Off a Pocket Point [11:17]
- Wrap-Up [11:53]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating a variety of cushion and point compression shots, where the cushion or point needs to deform to make a shot possible. Check it out:

Shots covered [with timestamp links] include:
- Intro [0:00]
1 – Kicking Out of a Frozen Trap [0:10]
2 – Kicking and Banking Through a Gap [1:23]
3 – Jumping a Coin into a Glass [2:09]
4 – Compressing the Cushion to Change a Frozen Angle [2:31]
5 – Going Rail-First for CB Control [3:15]
6 – Compressing the Cushion to Cheat an Angle [4:49]
7 – Avoiding Bank Shot Double Kisses [6:26]
8 – Using the Pocket Facing to Shorten a Bank [7:41]
9 – Jumping and Compressing to Allow a Bank to Clear [8:28]
10 – Compressing a Pocket Point [9:28]
11 – Kicking Off a Pocket Point [11:17]
- Wrap-Up [11:53]

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Awesome! Thanks!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As always, great info.. much of that I had no idea that it was even possible. Thanks for sharing!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In shot 4 one of the most remarkable features is how much speed the 6 has after hitting the 8.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shot 8 I learned from Eddie Taylor at one of the BCA trade shows. It seems like it should also have an effect for banks to the corner. If only I had a table to try it.:frown:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shot 8 I learned from Eddie Taylor at one of the BCA trade shows.
That must have been a treat to see one of the greatest banker of all time in person and up close.

It seems like it should also have an effect for banks to the corner.
Agreed.

If only I had a table to try it.:frown:
That's a problem that can be fixed with a homeowner like you with disposable income. I love that term ... "disposable" income.

Catch you later,
Dave

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave! Yes, I always learn something new. I like the cross-side bank off the hard side pocket facing. I'll try that out in a bit.

This is totally unrelated but you might like it. On the 8 ball bank you tried making with a jump there is another fun shot I came up with. I understand this isn't the point but try it sometime. You double kiss off the 8 ball straight back with low right spin. The 8 ball twists over in front of the corner due to the right spin, meanwhile the cue ball comes straight back across table and then spin-banks towards the pocket that the 8 is now perched in front of. On some tables the 8 ball moves a lot and this is a really low percentage timing shot. On other tables the 8 ball dribbles in front of the pocket and I'm almost even money. Try it sometime!

Another thing I never tried is kicking through a ball width gap. This more than any of the others would probably come up in games for me. I probably have way more room than I thought on tight kicks like that. Oh, and I don't know that I've ever forced the tip of a corner pocket for an object ball or to get out of a corner hook. I can see many times when escaping a slight corner hook would be better with a firm hit rather than a kick or swerve. Playing 9 ball for instance with the target ball out in space. Spinning softly would usually sell out but being able to move it with speed allows for some good things to happen.

So, as always, lots of new things to play with and I have no doubt I'll win a key game at some point because of them!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you Dr. Dave! Yes, I always learn something new. I like the cross-side bank off the hard side pocket facing. I'll try that out in a bit.
This one will go against your intuition because you need to overcut it more than you might think.

This is totally unrelated but you might like it. On the 8 ball bank you tried making with a jump there is another fun shot I came up with. I understand this isn't the point but try it sometime. You double kiss off the 8 ball straight back with low right spin. The 8 ball twists over in front of the corner due to the right spin, meanwhile the cue ball comes straight back across table and then spin-banks towards the pocket that the 8 is now perched in front of. On some tables the 8 ball moves a lot and this is a really low percentage timing shot. On other tables the 8 ball dribbles in front of the pocket and I'm almost even money. Try it sometime!
I just went down to my basement and tried it out. I made it on the 2nd try with the 8 frozen to the cushion about a 1/2 diamond away from the pocket with the CB straight out. Cool! Thank you for sharing that. When I have some time, I'll try it at different distances from the pocket, and with the OB frozen to the cushion and not. I'll also try to get it into a future video. If I do, I'll be sure to give you a shout-out for teaching it to me. Thanks again!

Another thing I never tried is kicking through a ball width gap. This more than any of the others would probably come up in games for me. I probably have way more room than I thought on tight kicks like that. Oh, and I don't know that I've ever forced the tip of a corner pocket for an object ball or to get out of a corner hook. I can see many times when escaping a slight corner hook would be better with a firm hit rather than a kick or swerve. Playing 9 ball for instance with the target ball out in space. Spinning softly would usually sell out but being able to move it with speed allows for some good things to happen.
I'm not sure how high-percentage the "push through a corner hook with speed" is because I haven't practiced it enough on different pockets and on different equipment with various amounts of hook. My sense is that it might not be as reliable as you might think, but I'm not sure.

So, as always, lots of new things to play with and I have no doubt I'll win a key game at some point because of them!
One thing I like about filming collections of shots like this is that it gives me some practice so when the opportunities do arise in actual play, I'll have some confidence and trust to attempt them.

Regards,
Dave

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
As always Dr Dave you make azbilliards a place i call my 2nd home worth coming home to.

Thank you