Cutting rail cloth

fat tony

Is it ok to cut rail cloth from the end of the cloth? Simonis documentation says "no rails off the ends" and shows a picture how the cloth is cut from 78" wide cloth and rails are cut from the width of the cloth. The billiards shop sent me 66" wide cloth for a 9' table.

Should I send the cloth back and ask for 78" cloth instead?

Thanks!

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If you have enough cloth you're good to go.
The reason for "no rails off the ends" is waste. It will work just fine, but you waste a lot since you'll only get one rail out of a 6" x 66" piece.
Ideally, you want around 111" for the bed and another 51" for the rails. You can get 2 off the long piece and another 10 rails from the extra.
If you'll not use the extra rails, that would be a waste too, I suppose.
78" cloth is the most efficient use, you get all 6 rails off the width.

fat tony

Thanks for the reply and info Sheldon, I cut two rails from the side and four from the end. I just thought that there was a reason for "no rails off the ends" because of the weave of the cloth. I remember RKC saying that when trimming the rail cloth excess with a knife (like in one continuous cut), you must staple the rail at an angle, and I thought that had something to do with the weave coming loose. Anyways, it's all good here, thanks again!

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply and info Sheldon, I cut two rails from the side and four from the end. I just thought that there was a reason for "no rails off the ends" because of the weave of the cloth. I remember RKC saying that when trimming the rail cloth excess with a knife (like in one continuous cut), you must staple the rail at an angle, and I thought that had something to do with the weave coming loose. Anyways, it's all good here, thanks again!
You're welcome!
Staples at an angle make it so that you "cross the grain" of the weave, making it harder for the cloth to tear free of the staple. As well as insuring one leg of the staple is not super close to your cut edge.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If you have enough cloth you're good to go.
The reason for "no rails off the ends" is waste. It will work just fine, but you waste a lot since you'll only get one rail out of a 6" x 66" piece.
Ideally, you want around 111" for the bed and another 51" for the rails. You can get 2 off the long piece and another 10 rails from the extra.
If you'll not use the extra rails, that would be a waste too, I suppose.
78" cloth is the most efficient use, you get all 6 rails off the width.
I don't agree with the reasoning being due to "waste".

Cuts from the end stretch differently. Those rails will look different from the ones with side cuts.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I don't agree with the reasoning being due to "waste".

Cuts from the end stretch differently. Those rails will look different from the ones with side cuts.
Interesting. I've noticed the stretching thing with Championship, but not with Simonis.

fat tony

I just might take pics of all the rails and you guys can guess which ones were cut from the end cloth :)

Once at a wedding we got to drinking beer from glass bottles and cans. Of course I swore that the taste was metallic if from a can, so the lads poured beer to 3 cups from cans, and 3 cups from bottles and I got to taste all and tell which was which. I got them all wrong. *Every single cup* that tasted metallic to me, was from a glass bottle. We had a good laugh :)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just might take pics of all the rails and you guys can guess which ones were cut from the end cloth :)

Once at a wedding we got to drinking beer from glass bottles and cans. Of course I swore that the taste was metallic if from a can, so the lads poured beer to 3 cups from cans, and 3 cups from bottles and I got to taste all and tell which was which. I got them all wrong. *Every single cup* that tasted metallic to me, was from a glass bottle. We had a good laugh :)
No problem, post up the pictures😉

Hard Knock Cues

I

I Usually get the metallic taste from the bottle because of the metal cap not from the aluminum can. I always have to wipe the bottle top off right after I pop the top.

I hope you send those pictures, I'm curious to know if I can tell the difference.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Very unlikely you'd be able to tell in person, likely zero chance from a picture.
Unless Tony remembers which rail he put them on, he probably wont know either. :ROFLMAO:

fat tony

ok I took the pictures today. 4 rails have cloth cut from the width of the bed cloth, and 2 rails are cut from the end of the (same) bed cloth.
Can you tell which ones are which? Lighting conditions vary a bit, and no 2 picture is a still from a video clip since I fumbled with mah fat fingers. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference when I was looking at the rails closely today.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 43

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
ok I took the pictures today. 4 rails have cloth cut from the width of the bed cloth, and 2 rails are cut from the end of the (same) bed cloth.
Can you tell which ones are which? Lighting conditions vary a bit, and no 2 picture is a still from a video clip since I fumbled with mah fat fingers. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference when I was looking at the rails closely today.
I'll play. To me it looks like 5 and 6 have a straighter weave after installed, but honestly who knows. 🤷‍♂️

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The weave on the nose of the rail on 1 & 3 appears to be going in a reverse direction of the others???

realkingcobra

Silver Member
1 and 4 are cross grain.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
But you didn't take pictures of the areas of the rails that are a dead give away on purpose, the ends of the rails near the pockets, where the stretch is the most obvious.

fat tony

But you didn't take pictures of the areas of the rails that are a dead give away on purpose, the ends of the rails near the pockets, where the stretch is the most obvious.
I did nothing on purpose, I couldn't even tell which 2 rails were cut from the end of the cloth. Maybe next time I take pics nearer the ends of the rail and we'll see :)