Dale Perry cue review

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got the point, perhaps mine was missed.

The "Hit" of the cue was compared closely to a Rick Howard and with a change of tip perhaps would play equal to. I owned both a Mace and an 8 Point Tulip Wood on ebony of Rick Howards and played with them for years.

To get the hit of a Rick Howard for $200.00 and return it you are gambling as $200.00 will not buy much in looks or hit.

Read the begining post as many times as you want, the cue was hit with first as not to judge it by looks.

I don't know DP personaly but know what he probably said.

The Cue Ball does not know if your wearing a Tux or raggedy jeans. Bottom line is unless the owner is willing to up the ante he will have a hard time finding a cue that plays like a Howard for $200.00.

TheThaiger

Banned
Am I alone in thinking that cue doesn't look THAT bad? Granted, my experience of customs is very limited, but if i'd paid $120 for that cue, I wouldn't be too fussed.

This is rather interesting - do people actually look at their cue for faults/imperfections etc? Do they get the ruler out and measure inlays or points?

fhopper

I like Points
Silver Member
My two "sister" DPs are lovely, the Bocote cost me $240, the Cocobolo cost me $175. They are both well made and I am delighted to have them. Mr. P is doing a great job of selling new sticks for used stick prices and I appreciate it.

I think the "centering" issue is a returnable issue if the buyer is upset, neither of my sticks have a centering issue, they are perfect to my eye. Are the finishes as deep as a $k cue, no, but they are not $k cues.

They hit well, make me smile, and I could afford them.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
My two "sister" DPs are lovely, the Bocote cost me $240, the Cocobolo cost me $175. They are both well made and I am delighted to have them. Mr. P is doing a great job of selling new sticks for used stick prices and I appreciate it.

I think the "centering" issue is a returnable issue if the buyer is upset, neither of my sticks have a centering issue, they are perfect to my eye. Are the finishes as deep as a $k cue, no, but they are not $k cues.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Could you post a photo of the pins as I did to show that they are centered? I would be surprised if this my friend's cue was a fluke.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Dale, he had a very poor attitude saying they are all made the same way. Something I know not to be true!!!!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

web.jpg

web.jpg

I really like the Cocobolo cue. $175 ? Can't go wrong there.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Dale, he had a very poor attitude saying they are all made the same way. Something I know not to be true!!!!

Fixed! I had to go back and start over. At my age, I forget some things too quick....

Last edited:

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think your so called review was fair. Now if you had 10 Dale Perry cues in front of you, then you could do a fair review. Your friend got a bad cue...one out of a thousand and now you want to run his name through the mud.

You act like it was your money spent. Your friend needs to file a dispute with Ebay, then send the cue back for a full refund.

All the positive feedbacks Dale Perry has on Ebay...is the true and honest review.

And if the pin doesn't wobble when the cue is rolled, then it is in the center.

:rolleyes:

It was my money, so I guess you have little clue of what you are talking about. Also it is not my review, monstermash decided to do the review when he saw the cue. The cue was just going to be something to check out LOL. The radial style pin is awfull!!!!!!!! It is totally abrasive and when asked Dale said thay are all like that LOL. Just pittifull in my opinion. When I asked Dale for a cue that was made correctly he refused saying they are all made the same. Dale should be ashamed of himself!!!!!

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right. Now can we talk about Meucci cues?:angry:

I'd be the first one to jump on the band wagon. LOL

Last edited:

chris2669

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one of the first dp's off eBay when they started saying there. Very nice cue. Have pics somewhere if I can find pic. Still have it don't use it much though. My brother bought one last and the quality just is not the same in my eyes.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
The "Hit" of the cue was compared closely to a Rick Howard and with a change of tip perhaps would play equal to.

Tom, I think you may have not read my statement correctly.

Of note is I was trading off between the DP and a Rick Howard I recently aquired and the Howard completely blew it away but it did have a Moori tip on it so that may be part of the reason.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I agree his buffer needs something, but other than that...
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Yes the cue does appear to be more on center than the one Cuemaker03 has. I am curious, how long have you owned the cue? I'm not trying to knock your cue but if you look at the last photo, you'll notice that the point is separating from the ring. And it appears that the finish is starting to develop a problem in that area. Or maybe it's just the way the photo was taken.

fhopper

I like Points
Silver Member
The sticks are a little over 2 weeks old. he Bocote has not been played with other than a test hit. I was surprised to see how much dust was o them, I wiped them of with a tea towel before the photos. As far as DP, I am curious about the wood, I have never heard of nor seen Bocote, my wife wanted the blue inlay stick lol and then I bought the Coco as a sister stick for myself. I was thrilled as a pipe smoker to find Cocobolo and a burl so I am very happy with that stick; the Bocote... eh not so fond of it. But it would help if it is a nice example of the wood.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:
I have purchased a couple of DP cues on ebay in the past (the 1st being a sneaky pete back around 10 years ago, and a much nicer looking one for around $300 around 5 years ago, I forget). I really hated the playability of both of the DP cues that I had (the worst playing cues that I ever played with in my life), and I sent them back the very next day for a complete refund. Maybe it was just the very bad taper in the shafts that I did not like (they did not have pro tapers on them). I really love the looks of some of his cues, but I would be scared to purchase another, because I think that I would be very unsatisfied with the way it would play. By the way, I am a B player (not a newbie), and I have played with almost every high end production cue (any many custom made cues) over the last 17 years since I got serious about the game (so I know how a good cue should play). I think that I would be more satisfied with the playability of a Players cue (actually I am pretty sure that I would be) than I would with a DP cue. I know that many people love their DP cues, but I am betting most players that use DP cues are newbies (and do not know the way a good quality cue should play). Maybe I just got very unlucky with the 2 DP cues that I had. Maybe some of them do hit better than the ones I played with hit.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have purchased a couple of DP cues on ebay in the past (the 1st being a sneaky pete back around 10 years ago, and a much nicer looking one for around $300 around 5 years ago, I forget). I really hated the playability of both of the DP cues that I had (the worst playing cues that I ever played with in my life), and I sent them back the very next day for a complete refund. Maybe it was just the very bad taper in the shafts that I did not like (they did not have pro tapers on them). I really love the looks of some of his cues, but I would be scared to purchase another, because I think that I would be very unsatisfied with the way it would play. By the way, I am a B player (not a newbie), and I have played with almost every high end production cue (any many custom made cues) over the last 17 years since I got serious about the game (so I know how a good cue should play). I think that I would be more satisfied with the playability of a Players cue (actually I am pretty sure that I would be) than I would with a DP cue. I know that many people love their DP cues, but I am betting most players that use DP cues are newbies (and do not know the way a good quality cue should play). Maybe I just got very unlucky with the 2 DP cues that I had. Maybe some of them do hit better than the ones I played with hit.

This one has a playable taper, just would be much better with a good tip.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
justin, that's very odd because the Ebay DP I have definitely has a nice long pro taper on it. Admittedly the cue doesn't play up to my Gina, but it's fine for league night and I don't have to watch it like a hawk or freak out if someone knocks it over or spills beer on it. I also have a McD and a few Action cues for the house but like the DP the best for league. For sure I replaced the tip as soon as I got it.