Dale Perry Sp is Worth?

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
skins said:
to answer my own question, NONE. every maker uses the same type machines. what too many "cue uneducated" people don't understand is that CNC is NOT a machine. it's a language protocol to control motor driven machines. it's used to manipulate the same milling, cutting, planing....ect machines that all makers use with the exception that electronic motors are installed that are "told" what to do through the language from a computer. they can be controlled in a more precise and accurate way, preventing many of the errors from controlling them by moving a stylus, crank, handle ect.. by hand. they also make it possible to create work that could not be done otherwise. there is nothing wrong with doing things using older methods just as there's nothing wrong with using newer.

Are there no cuemakers left who still use the manual pantograph machines any more?

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
Skins wrote - Quote"they also make it possible to create work that could not be done otherwise." Close Quote

Except that .008 radius. But you can hide that in Ebony.

Count me as one of the diehard "cue uneducated"

Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
skins said:
to say:

those statements could lead many to conclude your not much of a collector, have a good knowledge of their (CNC) use nor who uses them.

Skins,please correct me if I'm wrong:D ,but dont you work with josey cues helping design cues thru cnc which is what you do and wouldnt your opion on the use of cnc to help make a cue be tainted since this is how you make money? I'm aware some famous cuemakers use cnc(gina being one of them which I think is one of the best cuemakers),but I think what some of the collectors dont like is the flood of cnc cuemakers there are today. I like josey cues so dont go there but if all anyone has to do is go out and buy some equipment and start pumping out cnc cues and then there great well,LOL. DP makes a decent cue and for just playing they are a decent cue and he serves a certain part of the market well. Basically,if you like rounded inlays and points then thats your opion,but if you like sharp work then you might have a different opion about cnc,and I do believe some sharp work starts out by cnc machinery but the cuemaker has the TALENT to go in and clean up the inlay and points to produce a sharp pattern,etc...So I respect your knoledge of cnc but its not for everyone and sure,a machine can do better work,but its the artist that counts also.
CS

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hangemhigh said:
Skins wrote - Quote"they also make it possible to create work that could not be done otherwise." Close Quote

Except that .008 radius. But you can hide that in Ebony.

Count me as one of the diehard "cue uneducated"

there are makers who use as small as a 5 thou and have NO glue lines. try to do 4th axis machining using a pantograph. plus there is a miriad of other issues.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
skins said:
sure there are. whats your point?
Originally Posted by skins
to answer my own question, NONE. every maker uses the same type machines.

My point was that there are still a few old school builders out there who do not use CNC.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cuedoctor said:
but if all anyone has to do is go out and buy some equipment and start pumping out cnc cues and then there great well,LOL.

if you believe that this is "all" you have to do then i think you'ld better spend more time and do more research. the learning curve of the process and software let alone the knowledge of setting up and using the machines are far beyond conventional methods. as far as me making money at this, to just to give you more info, i don't get "paid" for what i do for keith which is going on a happy 8+ year relationship. i do it out of the love for the work. and no my thoughts do not negatively affect the market, on the contrary. just ask bob manzino and tony scienella among many many others who's cues are reaching an unheard of market.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
Bamacues said:

Originally Posted by skins
to answer my own question, NONE. every maker uses the same type machines.

My point was that there are still a few old school builders out there who do not use CNC.

I THINK THOSE AE THE "CUE UNEDUCATED" HE WAS REFERRING TO.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
skins said:
if you believe that this is "all" you have to do then i think you'ld better spend more time and do more research. the learning curve of the process and software let alone the knowledge of setting up and using the machines are far beyond conventional methods. as far as me making money at this, to just to give you more info, i don't get "paid" for what i do for keith which is going on a happy 8+ year relationship. i do it out of the love for the work. and no my thoughts do not negatively affect the market, on the contrary. just ask bob manzino and tony scienella among many many others who's cues are reaching an unheard of market.
So you dont get money,but do you get a CUE once and a awhile for your work or love of the work from Josey....???

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hangemhigh said:
I THINK THOSE AE THE "CUE UNEDUCATED" HE WAS REFERRING TO.

they all use the same machines PERIOD. it's just some have chosen to have them with made or fitted with elcctronic motors driven by CNC code. the "cue educated" know this.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cuedoctor said:
So you dont get money,but do you get a CUE once and a awhile for your work or love of the work from Josey....???

sure. he's made me 2 cues in the last 2 1/2 years. boy i'm rollin in the dough. :rolleyes:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Rating - 99.2%
252   2   0
You might know code,but how would you like to match up and get a little of my "cue education",with my no cnc required cue?

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
skins said:
sure. he's made me 2 cues in the last 2 1/2 years. boy i'm rollin in the dough. :rolleyes:
I'm jealous:D :D :D :D (really)Keith's work is just getting better and better and you are a part of that.Look forward to seeing josey cues at 9ball open and have a nice day:)

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hangemhigh said:
You might know code,but how would you like to match up and get a little of my "cue education",with my no cnc required cue?

listen this isn't a pissing contest. you'ld be very surprised what i know beyond cnc. i had to learn the manual ways first to try and master the new. my point is to de-bunk the misconception that using a machine that can be controlled in a different more precise way is not a bad stigma on the industry. it allows makers to bring their art, that would be suicide to do otherwise, to fruition.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cuedoctor said:
I'm jealous:D :D :D :D (really)Keith's work is just getting better and better and you are a part of that.Look forward to seeing josey cues at 9ball open and have a nice day:)

i'm sure Keith will appriciate the good words. i think what's on the horizon will take the work to another level and will be very exciting.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
skins said:
they all use the same machines PERIOD. it's just some have chosen to have them with made or fitted with elcctronic motors driven by CNC code. the "cue educated" know this.

Using this logic, could one say that a man riding a bicycle is using the same machine as a formula one driver? Or a kitchen knife is the same machine as a food processor?

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
to me, its not Dale perry using a cnc that hurt him...

it was the fact that for years he made a great cue, and when dealers signed up to carry his cues,. he made them make a minimum order and charged dealers a high premium for his cues, and i am sure nobody thought twice about buying 10 to 20 cues at a clip because ya know.. they sold pretty good and he did/does nice work..

what killed him is when he UNDERCUT the market and undersold all his dealers.... and left them with cues that cost 500 to 600 each dealer wholesale and started selling similar or the same cues on ebay for 350... the dealers couldnt even get what they had in cost for the cues and it took the value of his cues that everyone bought previously and destroyed any potential customers for his dealers...

i know there is a difference between his older cues and his new cues, materials and workmanship and all.. but the average pool player cant see the difference.. most dont care.. they just know the name and will go where its cheaper..

chris

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cuetrip said:
Using this logic, could one say that a man riding a bicycle is using the same machine as a formula one driver? Or a kitchen knife is the same machine as a food processor?

this is a terrible comparison. if you compared a 60's formula car to a 2000's formula car that would be a better comparison. and any driver would rather be driving the newer cars because of all the advancements. so then, enlighten us. tell us what's different about the machines used in cue making that can be driven by computer numerical control from ones that don't have this ability. from this statement and comparison i can tell you know very little about the machines used in cue making.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i apologize to the poster of this thread for taking a part in the "hijacking" the thread. it's just there's a ton of misconception out there and sometimes i can't hold my tongue. back to topic, as for the value of the sneaky, imo the best way to find that out is to make it available to the market and test the waters so to speak.