Darren Appleton's post on FB about the pro division at SBE

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
I thought it was an interesting point of view, and I'd like to find the link to his FB page. The quick highlight was that in a field of 64 players, only maybe half were what he would consider to be pro. He had complaint with the pay outs, and thought of the entire event as more of an industry show, instead of a serious pool tournament.

(If someone can find the link, that'd be great.)

A few take aways from me.

1. An open event is better for pay outs, as well as building relationship, and excitement for a pro tourney. More over, there are more donaters for the pot. That's a good thing for the pros, yes?

2. Said it felt more like an industry show. Isn't that what it is by nature? an "expo" by nature should be just that, an exposition. The tourney is a side product of the industry show.

3. I would like to preface this thought by saying I like Darren, and think of him as one of few Pro Players, that are actually a proffesional. Isn't this in a nutshell what pro pool has become. I've been active on this forum for a long time, not so much the last year, but active none the less. I buy streams, I donate money, I help try to bring new people into the sport. I feel that I have a good grasp of what pool is on multiple levels. This is what pool is. Pool is track on an album that we play over and over, and seldom get sick of. It doesn't change, but depending on our mood at the moment we feel differently about it. No significant effort to better pool at a pro level has been made. The same gripes, smack talk, fudes, and rivalries are there every year. year in, and year out.

I find myself much more interested in two guys locally barking than I do with anything on the pro level. Don't get me wrong I love watching good pool, but it just doesn't capture my interest anymore. I like nice cues, and I like the pros I have met, I just don't avidly follow anymore. I just don't really care what happens with our pro scene anymore.

I don't want this to turn into a "what's wrong with pool, and how do we fix it" thread. Just had some thoughts i wanted to share.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what we need to do with pool.....

just kidding.

I will say, I almost always feel a bit sorry for the pros when I look at the payouts. Of course it's the life they have chosen but it's really unfortunate that more of them can't make a decent living after putting their hearts and souls into this game for so long. It has to be so frustrating for them.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I've read his diatribe:

He's complaining about too many amateurs in a "pro" event.
He's also complaining about the lack of added money.
--Both of these factors greatly lowering the prestige of the event.

Neither is the fault of the amateurs.

If you have no added money, wouldn't you rather have some dead money in the field?

If he wanted only pro players in the event, he should have rallied them to sign up. Again--not the fault of the amateurs.

Without the amateurs, there would have been even less money shared among the few pros that entered.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In an open event like the SBE you post your $500 or whatever it is and you play with the pros. In a way I agree. Some of the players in the ten ball just have the disposable income and can say they played with the pros. Others paid their entrance fees to take their temperature to see how they stack up. They were probably egged on to so by friends.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allan lowered the added from 25k one year to 8K added the next year by my memory- I could be wrong. Anyway when it was substantially lowered, all the pros still went. What did that tell Allen? It told him he might be able to lower it more. The pros should have acted that first year and stayed away in droves. It's too late now and it's the pros fault and i almost never say that.

As far as it being an 'industry show' Daz has to know that . He is a smart guy who can obviously see where the money is coming from and why attendance is always strong. League type event and Cues. The people with money in pool and many without it LOVE Cues more than pool. IN just about ANY pool room you go to, talk about Cues will will overshadow talk about pros or even playing better pool by a factor of about eight-maybe more. Me i could give 2 craps about sticks.

PS- I would guesstimate AH makes $250K off this one event every year.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
First of all...it IS an industry event. I wish there were more of them.

Second...if Allen could get 64 folks signed up that met DAZ's definition of a real pro, I guess that would have happened. Not sure what he's referring to, but most of the names on the list I saw were pro level in my book. Sure there must have been some dead money in there, but really, why would a world beater be concerned about some lawyer or dentist who shoots at least three level below him? He should welcome the extra $500 and the leisurely practice time.

It sucks there isn't a Make It Happen event every week or more tournaments with potential prize earnings for top three places in excess of $30k or so. I think the last thing a real pro would want is promoters running off the dead money.

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anybody who is concerned with prize money, the good of the sport, etc should simply stay home rather than attend any event that Hopkins is involved in. Grady told me years ago that allen impeded the progress of mens pro pool because he was to too concerned about what was in it for him. all of this shouldn't have really been an issue for Darren, there have been numerous posts and buzz around the pool world over the years about the amateur and pro payouts at the SBE. and, quite frankly, he should just be happy that there is a large event literally minutes from his home. a lot of the guys had to travel from great distances to play, which in turn incurred a lot of expenses.

bottom line is, the SBE happens every year and the payouts aren't getting markedly better with time. bottom line is that you lose your right to ***** the moment you pony up your entry fee. if you want to play some pool, maybe win enough to cover your expenses, meet up with friends from far and check out the latest and greatest shit from the vendors, the SBE is for you. if you're someone who likes to keep track of the Calcutta money to see how much the house is raking, you might as well save your money and stay home.

having said all of that, I thought the one pocket event payouts were ridiculous.

2k-1st, 1500-2nd, 1250, etc while the last paid spot was like 1k? why even bother playing, once everyone's in the money, they should just wack it up and hit the action tables.

any way you look at it, hat's off to allen for finding a way to make the one thing in life he truly loves into a profitable business. right or wrong, you can't fault a guy for making a living doing what he loves, for better of for worse.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So let me get this straight.. Because this is at the expo the tournament should have no prestige? I believe how you finish in this goes towards match rooms point system for the mosconi cup so That's just ridiculous lol I will say it's called an open tournament which means it's open to everyone even if your just going to donate. Lol

The terrible tournament was the women's tournament. There were women I was watching who's fundamentals were so bad they would struggle in my local league and had no business wasting there cash playing in that tournament..dawn Hopkins was the favorite to win and I think she hardly plays competitively any more ( I could be wrong about that) Jeanette lee was there every day and she didn't enter into the tournament. All she wants to do now is charge you to play a ga,e against her and smile pretty for the camera. I saw women play who would need a spot from me if we played and that's just ridiculous. If you can't get some of the top women's players there don't bother having it any more.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only year I didn't see a lot of amateurs was the year they kicked up the entry fee to $1000 ... That was the smallest field I've ever seen.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just needed $500

Yup, ANY pool player holding $500 is considered a Pro :)

In the state our game is in now, we all should thank Allen for putting it together year after year........ Duh, yes I know he makes money from it! but remove it from the schedule, and what do we have? The Open? on the East Coast....

G.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, ANY pool player holding $500 is considered a Pro :)

In the state our game is in now, we all should thank Allen for putting it together year after year........ Duh, yes I know he makes money from it! but remove it from the schedule, and what do we have? The Open? on the East Coast....

G.

While I agree with you.... It's 4 days of pool heaven. That doesn't mean he can't make it better.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The payouts isn't bad really, considering only 64 entries. I just wish it was streamed.
Why don't Dazz just challenge shane or dennis for 10K. I'm sure they'll be glad to play him.

32K in entry money.

35K in payouts.

1st: $10,000 Guaranteed & Trophy
2nd: $5000
3rd: $2500
4th: $2000
5-6th: $1750 ea.
7-8th: $1500 ea.
9-12th: $1250 ea.
13-16th: $1000 ea.

2strong4u

Banned
So what Appleton is saying is he can't beat top amateurs. He should can it. Sounds like a guy making excuses for not winning.

The answer is more fields with top amateurs and pros. Make it like poker. Guys like him could spot a game or 2 in a 500 event and it would be epic.

Derby fills what 280 a year in 9 ball and 400 or so in one pocket and banks. Turning stone fills 128 easy twice a year. Not all pros at either of those events.

I know a couple top amateurs who can and have beaten some of the top pros. That's some of the most exciting action in pool. Imagine Joe Public wins the US open. How could that ever do anything but grow the game?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
PS- I would guesstimate AH makes $250K off this one event every year.

Keep seeing that number pop up. Sorry to hear it's so LOW. Wish Allen would make a million. If he did, he might want to hold TWO SBE events. One Spring, one Fall. One can only wish!

Lyn

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Someone put on a "just pro event wit 8k added" and see how many real pros show up with there $500 entry. Pro events need everyone they can get. If the day ever comes that a prevent of 32 or more can pay the whole field, then just pros might be something o talk about. Johnnyt