Deliberate foul query - 8-ball (and brief tournament experience)

Flakeandrun

what about if your last ball is or gets surrounded by three or more of his suite? i've seen it happen. sometimes you have to take a scratch
Who was the guy who jumped onto the top of the ball from this kind of surrounded position, as he tried to avoid the 3-foul? Was it Luong Dung?

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
But at that point, it was only considered BIH by me, because I picked it up and gave it to him. It was only when I put it in his hand and he asked me why I did that where things got muddied.
Get a firm grip on the rules next time. Sounds like they were playing some variant of "gentleman's hit" in which playing "safe" is frowned upon. Deliberate fouls are even worse.
Odd that you only have to call the 8 though, slop counted on object balls?

Flakeandrun

Get a firm grip on the rules next time. Sounds like they were playing some variant of "gentleman's hit" in which playing "safe" is frowned upon. Deliberate fouls are even worse.
Odd that you only have to call the 8 though, slop counted on object balls?
Slop counted on object balls. Often people are playing this way here anyway when playing 8-ball. The old Chinese-8 rules basically. I have to try hard to convince people to play call pocket with me. Safeties are not frowned upon, but encouraged. The standard of this event was the higher end of amateur. From what I understand, the guy saw the deliberate foul as a concession. I asked the TD today on WeChat, and he said he's going to make a more concrete list of rules. Deliberate fouls will not be part of play in this event. He cited that it was because he wanted to encourage as big a turn out as he could muster for the event, while keeping the playing time to one evening. Which I think is fair enough. He was generally quite apologetic. I accept that, was just a bit bewildered at the time. I shouldn't have let it get to me. But then I think being tired added to that, which also backs up his logic in removing deliberate fouls from play.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rules in the bars around here dont use bih. So they say "make a valid attempt to hit". As long as you try to hit your ball you are fine. Any sort of safety play is frowned on. And they dont require a rail after contact. Just try to hit your ball.

I havent played bar pool in over 10 years here. Really stupid, unenforcable rules. Lots of fights break out.
Reminds me of all the dive/biker/titty bars we used to play in. You had to be REALLY creative making a safety look like a luck shot, otherwise you might be in a brawl.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
what about if your last ball is or gets surrounded by three or more of his suite? i've seen it happen. sometimes you have to take a scratch
The rules in the bars around here dont use bih. So they say "make a valid attempt to hit". As long as you try to hit your ball you are fine. Any sort of safety play is frowned on. And they dont require a rail after contact. Play where ball lies. This southern ontario, canada. The local bars have a traveling league with these stupid rules.

I havent played bar pool in over 10 years here. Really stupid, unenforcable rules. Lots of fights break out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Slop counted on object balls. Often people are playing this way here anyway when playing 8-ball. The old Chinese-8 rules basically. I have to try hard to convince people to play call pocket with me. Safeties are not frowned upon, but encouraged. The standard of this event was the higher end of amateur. From what I understand, the guy saw the deliberate foul as a concession. I asked the TD today on WeChat, and he said he's going to make a more concrete list of rules. Deliberate fouls will not be part of play in this event. He cited that it was because he wanted to encourage as big a turn out as he could muster for the event, while keeping the playing time to one evening. Which I think is fair enough. He was generally quite apologetic. I accept that, was just a bit bewildered at the time. I shouldn't have let it get to me. But then I think being tired added to that, which also backs up his logic in removing deliberate fouls from play.
Of course, its bad enough here with all the different variations of "rules", let alone in a whole other part of the world. It just seems odd to me that they will play safeties, and ball-in-hand, but not let you intentionally foul. Then again, there are many so-called rules here that I fail to understand, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

As for saving time, that's a cop out. All your intentional foul is doing is playing a safety, with the BIH penalty already assumed. It's no more time than if you played a successful safety, actually its quicker, as your opponent shouldn't have to take as long to decide with BIH, vs being safetied well. Plus, it really won't come up that often...

Good on you, and everyone else, for handling it reasonably.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. Perhaps it is to speed up play, as there was a lot of entrants? The TD is a nice enough guy, he was pretty impartial and let both of us express our thoughts. He's the kind of guy who will probably type up the rules and post them in the tournament group now.
I don't think the call made had anything to do with speed of play.

You have been issued a stop being a little bitch card...hhaaahah.

MAny lessons were learned that day.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did y'all see that kid lose hill/hill in the finals of the Juniors tournament in Louisiana? His last ball was tied up with the 8 ball, so he played his opponent's last ball into a bad position. They called it a "loss of game". He took it pretty hard.

Saw it ... they were playing a different version of 8ball with a number of different rules. That rule specifically tries to prevent matches getting slowed down.

See the details here; https://www.ultimatepoolgroup.com/rules

I'd love to play in one of the tournaments... Timed matches, short shot clock that get shortened to 15 seconds for the last 10 minutes of the match, etc.

Here is a link to a match where it ends in a Shootout;

Entertaining to watch. Something a little different. Not something I'd always want to play, but I'd love to give it a try.

More info;

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even 400 Fargo league players in the USA will take intentional fouls. It’s an applauded strategy amongst serious players (regardless of their skill level).

Flake: what is the official rule for Chinese 8 ball?

Flake: if your TD wants a quick night, have him abondon 8 ball and switch to 9 ball. Or, play 8 ball with just 10 total balls, and rack it like 10 ball. Regular 8 ball following the official WPA rules is about as slow a game as possible for a weekly tournament.

Race to 5 or 6 is also WAY too long for an 8 ball weeknight event.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is the question. Common bar rule is no bih and no intentional fouls. Even legal intentional safties are looked down on in a lot of bar pool. If you intentionally fouled knowing no bih, could end in bar fight some places i have been.
This happened at a tournament, not at bar pool.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Louisiana open mentioned above was a special one-off event, similar to speed pool, and made explicitly for TV to be fast. What happened there is not in any 8 ball rule set ever published. It should not be referenced for Flake’s situation except for entertainment purposes.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The Louisiana open mentioned above was a special one-off event, similar to speed pool, and made explicitly for TV to be fast. What happened there is not in any 8 ball rule set ever published. It should not be referenced for Flake’s situation except for entertainment purposes.
You don't think there will be more Ultimate Pool tournaments in the US?? It seemed to me that maybe they were dipping their toes so to speak to see what kind of reception it got in the US, I would rather watch another tournament like that than the standard 8 ball tournaments that we have been accustomed to. Not only the short shot clock but also the game clock itself I believe make it a great format.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You don't think there will be more Ultimate Pool tournaments in the US?? It seemed to me that maybe they were dipping their toes so to speak to see what kind of reception it got in the US, I would rather watch another tournament like that than the standard 8 ball tournaments that we have been accustomed to. Not only the short shot clock but also the game clock itself I believe make it a great format.
Do you think that actual playing rules of "Ultimate Pool" are better ? Is there any reason to play by other than standard eight ball rules?

I did think the speed pool for a decider was kind of interesting in a carnival sort of way.

Justaneng

Registered
Even 400 Fargo league players in the USA will take intentional fouls. It’s an applauded strategy amongst serious players (regardless of their skill level).

Flake: if your TD wants a quick night, have him abondon 8 ball and switch to 9 ball. Or, play 8 ball with just 10 total balls, and rack it like 10 ball. Regular 8 ball following the official WPA rules is about as slow a game as possible for a weekly tournament.

I honestly think it’s the 400-500 range where the intentional foul is most effective. Sub 400 the 6-inning slop off is a probable outcome anyway and much above 500 you find players that are ok solving multiple problems in a rack. The 400-500 range is where you find us slackers who can solve 1 problem with BIH but struggle when there are a couple of problems in the table.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In BCA rule games, I often play deliberate fouls, it's called smart play, just part of the game. But sounds like you were playing local rules and that's OK too. You just have to know how they play.

Flakeandrun

18. Intentional Fouls
It is an INTENTIONAL foul for the cue ball to first contact the other group of balls on purpose / deliberately. Intentional fouls are regarded as a serious foul. A player’s first intentional foul will be judged as losing a rack, and his second intentional foul will result in losing the whole match.

Well, just looked it up, and this will be why the guy was frothing. But my argument is/was that you don't need to call the black in Chinese-8, is this on an American table or not? and there was no clarification in the short written set of rules on the tournament post in the group chat. Which I guess is where the compromise came into it from the TD.

Agree, race to 5 was long with that many players. There are a couple other 9-ball events, and a couple of stores collaborate on their schedules together regarding organizing. I think the standard is maybe too high to take it 10 total balls, but being alternate breaking, that could still be interesting.

Last edited: