Derby City Straight Pool Challenge 2019

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, to run 180 just to make the top 8 on a Diamond table is impressive. I don't believe the total to make the top 8 in previous years has been nearly that high. Perhaps 14.1 is gaining in popularity among the top players, at least in terms of high runs.
I can only assume other aspects of their 14.1 games are very strong as well, although I assume a number of them may opt for a far more aggressive strategy than 14.1 players of 40+ years ago.

Chris, the extra added money made a difference. When you put up the money the real players show up and play good! This is by far the best 14.1 Challenge yet ($7,500 on top!). I would have loved to see these final seven matches, head to head competition like the old days. I hope the matches are at least to 150. 100 point matches for players this good is just too short.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Chris, the extra added money made a difference. When you put up the money the real players show up and play good! This is by far the best 14.1 Challenge yet ($7,500 on top!). I would have loved to see these final seven matches, head to head competition like the old days. I hope the matches are at least to 150. 100 point matches for players this good is just too short.

From two to tables four....
I think having four tables instead of two was the greatest difference.
...that's why I called for a record run this year.

When I was there in 2015. Alex was playing well...won the MOT.....
...he kept checking to see if a table was open when he had a window....
...he only got to play four of his tries.

So having a lot more attempts was the biggest factor, IMO.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the overall top scores for all four days of qualifying:

CropperCapture[244].png

In past years, the second group of eight (Alex through Konrad) would have had fine qualifying scores. The first six years or so I thought that 200 would be safe but now it's common, and next year you might need a 200 to qualify. Crazy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So having a lot more attempts was the biggest factor, IMO.
I don't think the number of tries doubled, but we don't have a tabulation yet. Losing tables last year on Wednesday (crunch day) was a problem.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the daily top five scores. Note that the top three each day are paid ($300, $200, $100) so some pretty good runs got no daily prizes.

CropperCapture[245].png

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
think I read on FB that Nils won against Filler... doesn't anyone have secured information on the last 8 matches?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems a little strange to me that with this level of players, that it is a single elimination format, and the 179+ runs it took to even qualify the top 8 for this field, that they could have raced to at least 150 instead of 125 in the 1st round? My guess is that some of these 4 matches may last very few innings. For players of this caliber, this is equivalent to a race to 5 in 9-ball.

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems a little strange to me that with this level of players, that it is a single elimination format, and the 179+ runs it took to even qualify the top 8 for this field, that they could have raced to at least 150 instead of 125 in the 1st round? My guess is that some of these 4 matches may last very few innings. For players of this caliber, this is equivalent to a race to 5 in 9-ball.

I couldn't agree more. In fact a race to 200 seems like the right number. I see where Feijen (125-60 over Filler) and Immonen (125-26 over Schmidt) have advanced so far. It would be interesting to know what the high run of each of those matches were.

But the problem as usual, is trying to get these matches scheduled. Qualifying numbers continue to rise, indicating the growing popularity of the competition. Hopefully the producers will finally come to the conclusion that this competition needs to be moved form the DCC and instead be played at perhaps Pat Fleming's International tournament, where the field quality is never a question (i.e. the Ko brothers et al). I'm betting all scheduling conflicts would be resolved and a better final format could be instituted.

This event has reached a point where it should no longer be treated as some carnival side show, which is currently the situation on all fronts at the DCC. From scheduling, to video streaming, to the "closet" venue, to the lack of qualifying stats; it all adds up to an event that deserves better. I commend the producers for all their hard work, but doing it at the DCC is like the engine revving at 5000RPM, but the vehicle is stuck in neutral.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree the event has outgrown it's current arrangement.

The players are all at dcc, so it does benefit greatly from it current host.

To me, it is a mutually beneficial arrangement, just needs the relationship to be rethought.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
tables needed?

I would guess it is the need to free up tables for other things but it seems like with the runs they got this time that play in this single elimination format needs to be to at least 250. Of course this is the first time so many high runs were recorded. Some truly awesome runs on 4.5" inch pockets. I wonder what the high runs on the 4.125" pockets accidentally played on were?

I am not a fan of extremely tight pockets in general and in particular for 14.1 play. Tight pockets increase pocketing difficulty of course but they also increase the difficulty of cheating the pockets or make it impossible on some shots. I would prefer to see speed and angles rather than extreme spin. Tight pockets force more spin for shape. I don't think it is a good trade-off.

Hu

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess it is the need to free up tables for other things but it seems like with the runs they got this time that play in this single elimination format needs to be to at least 250. Of course this is the first time so many high runs were recorded. Some truly awesome runs on 4.5" inch pockets. I wonder what the high runs on the 4.125" pockets accidentally played on were?

I am not a fan of extremely tight pockets in general and in particular for 14.1 play. Tight pockets increase pocketing difficulty of course but they also increase the difficulty of cheating the pockets or make it impossible on some shots. I would prefer to see speed and angles rather than extreme spin. Tight pockets force more spin for shape. I don't think it is a good trade-off.

Hu
Yes, tight pockets, even Diamond 4-1/2" corner specs totally change the way 14.1 is played, even at this level. It almost totally eliminates the art of finding the "dead" balls in the pack for combinations/caroms to continue a run when it looks like you have nothing. As you stated, it also greatly diminishes the ability to "cheat the pockets" for cue ball positioning when necessary, or when there is an obstructing ball and you have less than a full pocket to work with. This is what makes all those high runs for the 8 qualifying players even more impressive!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone else hear something about some of the 14.1 players going on some sort of strike about when they would play in the last eight?

Heard a couple of different stories...

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I give Mika a slight advantage because he not only can run balls but he shows up at all the high level 14.1 tournaments.

Too bad Oliver Ortmann stopped making the trip to DCC. He is one of the best 14.1 players on the planet.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone else hear something about some of the 14.1 players going on some sort of strike about when they would play in the last eight?

Heard a couple of different stories...

Lou Figueroa

I don't see how they have time when Dennis and Shane is still busy playing 1p plus their 9b matches.

TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member
aaaa

Next 14.1 Match show is ASAP as soon as they get done in matches downstairs. Playing 14.1 Race to 125 balls. Also on the Away channel and the Fb is Adam Martin from Ohio Vs Greg McAndrews from NY formerly on the The Hustlers Tv Show lol.

www.billiardnet.tv