Development of Streaming and Professional Coverage

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
With online streaming and content creators getting into the mix more and more at events......What are some "ideas" that could be implemented by online streamers.....or professional coverage in general.....what would make you want to watch?

Here is one......Since there are now multiple cameras that streamers can tap into that are pointed at multiple tables......Instead of just focusing on one match....perhaps expand the coverage of an event out like done in Golf....You will still key on the "feature" table....but instead of only watching that one match....show or update live scores of the entire active field and or at least multiple "key" games going on......also...switch cameras to active shooting going on....When the feature table is racking between games...switch over to another match going on and then switch back to the main table after the break or when a "non-routine" shot comes up.

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too all 'Streamers'...first of all thank you so much! Secondly, please do NOT show multiple tables. Watching streams are for learning and entertainment. In order to learn we need to see large images of their hands, bridges, shot choices etc. Showing small images limits the viewer on knowledge gained. Just my thoughts.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Replays of fantastic shots. Like in golf when the show a golfer at +4 on Sunday.... You know what's about to go down.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Show the players footwork, grip, back hand, walking up to the shot, close up on eye movement.
If you watch a PGA production you'll see all the stuff your looking/asking for.

Last edited:

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate the way golf is televised. They jump around so much that I lose focus and have trouble keeping up with the rounds of the players I want to see. They'll show a guy hook a drive into the deep rough behind a tree. Then I get excited to see how he escapes. But in the meantime they show 10 other clips and (maybe) come back to the shot I want to see after I've already forgot about it and moved on.

They also show a lot of putting, which is probably the least exciting element of golf. When they do show drives or approach shots it's usually so quick that you don't get a chance to fully understand the course layout/challenges ahead of them to completely understand and appreciate the shot.

I guess that's the nature of trying to film a 70 player golf tournament where everyone is in different locations and playing very slow.

I find amateur YouTube golf way more enjoyable to watch. They'll film a single player or group through the entire course from start to finish so you can fully experience the round.

When pool streamers start to film multiple tables I feel the same way. I can never fully get invested in a rack or set because they're constantly switching camera angles. They'll cut away from an intense safety battle to show someone run out the last three balls of an easy layout. Makes no sense to me.

Badpenguin

Some random thoughts...

Prefer youtube, most modern smart tvs support it. I have no interest in watching pool on a phone, tablet, or computer. Avoid facebook like the plague.

As far as camera placement, the use of multiple cameras, scoring, etc... Post-Up does it better than anyone else, IMHO.

I have gotten to the point that I prefer banter over "professional commentary". Bringing in professional players is a bonus. We live in a new "social media" world where "professional commentary" is not always a must. Interact with your audience. Be a little less formal.

If I hear the word "SNOOKER" one freaking time during a streamed pool event, on mute you go. I could care less about snooker while watching pool. STFU about snooker.

Show the actual room during racking or whatnot, show the spectators. I never knew what Griff's looked like other than single tables until Post-Up panned around the room during the streaming of the US Open events.

And then the basics:
  • Consistently post a link to the brackets and live scoring, if available.
  • Always have the player names, the score, and the race. In a way that makes sense.
  • Would be nice to have the round visible also, winner round 2, loser round 3, semi-final, etc.
  • Start the stream early with an announced time that it will start, if possible.
  • Be on time, if the match isn't going to be on time, put it in the video description.
I could say a lot more, but that is the big things to me.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I know this isn't in the control of the streamer but if you want me to watch live you better have a shot clock.

Until pool embraces a system to make this the rule instead of the exception there is zero chance to broaden the viewer base beyond the die hards.

If this leads to missed shots or bad safeties so be it, the rolls will even out.

Otherwise I will watch on replay when I have a 10 second skip forward control.