Difference of old and new snooker tables

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Did not want to be too much of a bother when it comes to this question, but what is the difference from old snooker tables from the new? I hear that there is a difference from the shelf of the pockets to the cloth of the table. I do not know and would like for you guys to either drop in links or ooze me with your knowledge about this. I appreciate your time on this! :embarrassed2:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
This is a good place to start.

http://www.snookerheritage.co.uk/

Snooker pocket cuts vary from mfg to mfg but the slates not so much.
Undercutting of the rubber and pocket opening size will change the way a table plays significantly.

There are WPBSA and IBSF standard templates for competition play but the spec has not changed much over the years.

Currently they are using Strachan No10 cloth I think the IBSF just moved from Hainsworth match even though the match is considered faster than No10. I would consider Match or Strachan 6811 gold the best for home or club play.

OneFourSeven

Registered
Don't know when steel block began to be added to top of the line snooker tables.

From the Snooker Heritage site that Slasher posted a link to:

"Burroughes & Watts were more active in the provinces than any other London maker, and in 1876 they established the Scottish Professional Billiards Championship, providing a silver challenge cup.

Walter Buttery became a partner in the 1870's taking charge of the London offices and showroom. Of a very inventive turn of mind he is credited with the invention of the "steel-block" cushion, which was registered as a patent in 1888."

Hey Slasher, aren't you the guy that was building a snooker room in your back yard?

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
From the Snooker Heritage site that Slasher posted a link to:

"Burroughes & Watts were more active in the provinces than any other London maker, and in 1876 they established the Scottish Professional Billiards Championship, providing a silver challenge cup.

Walter Buttery became a partner in the 1870's taking charge of the London offices and showroom. Of a very inventive turn of mind he is credited with the invention of the "steel-block" cushion, which was registered as a patent in 1888."

Hey Slasher, aren't you the guy that was building a snooker room in your back yard?

Yes that is me, play on it almost everyday. I have a nice space with big TV & internet so I can watch all the streams and practice at the same time, it's a great sanctuary and highly recommended. :)

OneFourSeven

Registered
In keep with the thread, there are two Brunswick Monarch tables (circa 1900's) out of the six tables that are used in the league that I play in. They're sweet tables to play on.

Well that's me jealous, Slasher. :wink:

Where do you play if you're not at home?

Hey, there's a No-handicap Snooker tournament at the Terminal City Club in January, did you know about it?

Last edited: