Different Strokes for Different Folks

See post below for details...

• Total voters

ktrepal85

Banned
As I'm sure you know, there are many ways to make the same shot depending on how much spin is applied.

Let's say you have a 30 degree cut and it's the last ball on the table so you don't have to play shape for another shot. Let's also assume that you can't scratch no matter how you hit it. This shot is a significant distance from the pocket so throw makes a big difference in your aiming line.

How many of you would choose to use outside english to counteract the cut induced throw to create "gearing" as dr. dave described?

How many of you would just use follow or draw to reduce the cut induced throw and adjust your aim for that?

How many of you would use center ball and adjust for the maximum cut induced throw?

How many of you make the shot with inside or some other type of english?

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My instinct was to say outside english which is how I naturally grew up hitting this kind of shot. I'm trying to move away from that, though, and toward more center hits where possible. So in the future I'm hoping to hit this kind of shot center ball and firm to reduce throw.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to actually see the shot lol. I had a habit of choking on the 8 or 9 ball depending on the game I play. Someone told me to pick a spot that I want to leave the cb in and it seems to have helped.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
High and outside for me. The cue ball would definitely be rolling, not skidding, with a little outside english.

george canon

Registered
I don't think there is one answer to this one. If position is a non issue, I cut with running. Most pros do. But on cuts, depending on what position I want to achieve, I will use 3, running, center, reverse. Most of us, don't have reverse, never use it, but watch Efren, he uses it a lot, more than any other pro. The problem with a cut, using center, or reverse, cling and throw have to be factored in when you aim. :thumbup:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You stated the ob is a significant distance from the pocket. But, how far apart are the ob and cb?

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good lord, if all this is being thought about, we should probably play some. :)