Different ways of aligning the backhand

Oikawa

When we drop down to the shot, we all have some way of ensuring that the backhand is in the right position horizontally, to match the direction we want the CB to go based on our shot image. In other words, our cue must not only be in the right horizontal position, but also at the correct angle.

If we assume that our shot image is correct, we need to ensure that:

1. The tip is pointing at the correct point on the CB
2. The backhand is aligned such that the cue is pointing straight forward

CB point is trivial, but how do we go on about the backhand? I made this topic to have discussions about all the various methods of achieving this.

My personal style is to drop down, only focusing on keeping the correct shot image. Once I'm down, I stay compelety still, and then perform the following steps in order:

1. Switch my eyes to the CB.
2. Move my bridge hand horizontally, until the tip points exactly towards where I want to hit.
3. Move my backhand horizontally, until the tip/cue is angled exactly parallel to the CB. This perception of being parallel (not coming from the left or the right at all) is, in my opinion, the easiest and most consistent method of correcting any slight errors in alignment, to always have the backhand be at the correct place.

In my opinion, the strength of this approach is that you don't need to drop down millimeter perfect into the shot in terms of your bridge hand or backhand, the only thing that needs to stay still is your shot image, which means your head can't move horizontally. Having a stance that is as balanced and grounded as possible helps in keeping your head still. Even if your initial bridge hand position is off by a lot, just keep everything else still and move it to where it needs to be. Simple and effective.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why even concern yourself with this? everyone has their own way of achieving their 'positions'. your way is YOUR way. what you describe is not revolutionary, lots of players play virtually the same way.

Oikawa

why even concern yourself with this? everyone has their own way of achieving their 'positions'. your way is YOUR way. what you describe is not revolutionary, lots of players play virtually the same way.
Where did I claim it was revolutionary? The point of the topic is to hear the various approaches, and the ideas behind them.

As for why should I concern myself with this? Because it's a fundamental part of alignment, which is important. If you get more consistent alignment, you will play better.

I don't get your attitude. If you don't care to think or discuss technical topics, that's completely fine, just skip the threads.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I simply include my peripheral vision in the shot picture so I can see the shaft>CB>OB alignment all at once. Maybe that's not as easy/intuitive for everybody...? Helps to be low over the stick.

pj
chgo

skiergd011013

For over 15 years i played with my elbow sticking out, because my back hand was out of line and i was pushing it inward to make the cue rub my side like snooker players do. I always played pretty good like that, but after i video'd myself and saw how shitty it looked, i seeked to correct it. All i do is when i am getting down on a shot, i rotate the cue to the left with my grip hand/wrist about 1/6th of a turn, and it straightens everything out. I practiced this with a mirror and ironing board set to table height. It felt strange the first few pool nights, but now i feel my game has improved. I can draw better, and can shoot the cueball straight up table and have it return to my tip. It is now muscle memory and i naturally get down and fall in line. I wasted $$ on lessons etc, but the absolute best thing for correcting my stance was youtube videos, a mirror, and an ironing board.

Oikawa

I simply include my peripheral vision in the shot picture so I can see the shaft>CB>OB alignment all at once. Maybe that's not as easy/intuitive for everybody...? Helps to be low over the stick.

pj
chgo
This makes sense, it's probably a common approach. The difference for mine is that I don't include the OB when fixing the cue alignment in relation to the CB. So instead of shaft->CB->OB it's just shaft->CB, and as long as I stay still it works.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I dusted off the cues and cleared enough space around the table in the last few months to start practicing/playing again....I am on Vacation until Feb 19 and then retired from my current job.......So I have been working on my PSR and refining out my associated flaws....many flaws....many flaws....LOL.....so I can start to get out and try and compete again

One of those flaws (for me) being very left eye dominant I would sometimes fall into a crooked cue set up...

I started doing something to make my back hand alignment more automatic.....I have changed my routine to where (while standing) my feet get into the final position before bending down and my cue is pointed down the shot line prior to bending over....basically once I am set I can simply just drop down onto the shot and shoot....much easier on the back....(for me)

The reason for this change has actually helped my back greatly....I was noticing soreness when "stepping" into the shot while turning the cue going down on the shot.....(most people will have the cue going across the shot line and with some method turn it into the shot line as the step forward and go down....

Now regarding the back hand alignment..

As my feet are set prior to bending over.....and my cue is pointed down the shot line....(back hand back foot "toes) on the shot line)....while above the ball...My tip gets pointed at my OB contact point or (path) and since the cue is also over the CB...I can use the CB as an axis point .....The two points basically automatically align my back hand to make sure it is on the shot line where it needs to be.....then just drop down on the shot while pulling the cue back behind the CB.

Here is a clip....It happens quick but you can see the process best at :45 and 1:45.....(ignore the other flaws for now if you will)...the two shots missed are where obstacles hindered my process...(you can't see it but there are 3D printers on tables that I was concerned on hitting and rushed the shot)....the other was mess on the floor and me just being plain lazy and not giving the shot enough respect.

Now.....all that being said.......this is just what I do.......I even "thought" I came up with something unique....but Dr. Dave already posted a new for him similar method (which I was happy to see BTW because if confirms I am on the right track).....I apply the method he shows slightly different as I want the cue pointed down the shot line naturally. not across the shot line to be turned into the shot line...so instead of calling it laser guided...I call what I do cue triangulation..........

You will notice in the very first part of Dr Daves video he points out that everyone is different and you need to pretty much develop your own

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just shoot a bunch of long dead straight ins. Try to pocket the ball and stop whitey on the spot. You can't do this without: A.Perfect aim/alignment and B. A really pure/straight stroke. Not technical in any way and the feedback is immediate. Shoot a few of these at the start of every play or practice session.