Do Most "B" and up Players Need Drills?

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I knew/know many a top player over the years and none of them that I can remember did drills. The only drill a good player needs IMO are all the hardest shots FOR HIM. Another words they practice the shots they miss more than they should. They don't do drills that someone else made up because they were missing those too much...maybe you don't have a problem with THOSE shots.

Keep track of what you're missing playing in tournaments or when in action and practice those shots only. The rest of your pool time should be spent playing against someone or if at home run racks of the game you play most.

Then again, if you want to practice with time consuming, boring drills...have at it. Johnnyt

I do the same thing you describe, practice shot angles that give me trouble. I don't do drills, but I do play the ghost. Still, I think I would play better if I did do drills. Depends on what drills though. Easy drills would almost be a waste, but I do think harder, more challenging drills would help.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I do the same thing you describe, practice shot angles that give me trouble. I don't do drills, but I do play the ghost. Still, I think I would play better if I did do drills. Depends on what drills though. Easy drills would almost be a waste, but I do think harder, more challenging drills would help.

I play the ghost also...a lot. Johnnyt

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We don't have more players going overseas because none have a 100% sponsorship like other countries players do. We have a dozen up and comers and a few read now. All they need is backing. Johnnyt

Only top 5 Dutch and some Poland players get financial help from government so cut bullshit right there. Every other players need to earn their sponsorship playing good and finding sponsors by themselves.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Only top 5 Dutch and some Poland players get financial help from government so cut bullshit right there. Every other players need to earn their sponsorship playing good and finding sponsors by themselves.

You mean cut the bullshit. You forgot the the. :)

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I knew/know many a top player over the years and none of them that I can remember did drills. The only drill a good player needs IMO are all the hardest shots FOR HIM. Another words they practice the shots they miss more than they should. They don't do drills that someone else made up because they were missing those too much...maybe you don't have a problem with THOSE shots.

Keep track of what you're missing playing in tournaments or when in action and practice those shots only. The rest of your pool time should be spent playing against someone or if at home run racks of the game you play most.

Then again, if you want to practice with time consuming, boring drills...have at it. Johnnyt

Dentists need drills.
Players need competition ! :yeah:

Have a nice day JT

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like a lot of Azzzer's have a problem with us B players. Mind you some of
work 50 hrs. plus weekly.. No 6AM crackpot posting for this lad.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have mixed feelings about this thread. Over the years, I've seen players make leap and bounds in their game due to gambling as SJD recommends. The reason I believe is because the money forces the player to focus much more than just practicing. So, the gambling player will play more focused hours of pool than a player just practicing and getting bored, developing bad habits, etc.

On the other hand, One of the best players that I know isn't a gambler. But, he will practice or play just as hard as he does when he plays in a tournament. If you shoot every shot with focus, then that is how you play every time. Easier said than done.

Gambling and tournaments are different animals and have different pressures. I think you could be a top tournament competitor without gambling. But, gambling can make you a top player too.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I have mixed feelings about this thread. Over the years, I've seen players make leap and bounds in their game due to gambling as SJD recommends. The reason I believe is because the money forces the player to focus much more than just practicing. So, the gambling player will play more focused hours of pool than a player just practicing and getting bored, developing bad habits, etc.
On the other hand, One of the best players that I know isn't a gambler. But, he will practice or play just as hard as he does when he plays in a tournament. If you shoot every shot with focus, then that is how you play every time. Easier said than done.
Gambling and tournaments are different animals and have different pressures. I think you could be a top tournament competitor without gambling. But, gambling can make you a top player too.

I wouldn't focus too much on focusing. It comes with the territory for tournament winners.
Also, it's true that good players don't necessarily have to gamble to be good players.
Having said that, I do agree with Dick. When you have next months house payment on the line it tends to sharpen your game. :smile:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

when earl was still living in this area he could be seen practicing at the local room. once a week he would step up to table 5 at breakers (breaktime) and practice tough drills, mostly stroke drills.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of drills...or any kind of solitary practice....

Golfers are made on the practice field.
Boxers are made in the gym.
Pool players are not exempt.....
...I'll rest my case with Shane....hits a lotta balls.

The billiard game that produces the most millionaires?
Snooker.
I doubt if there is one snooker professional that doesn't do drills...
...the English line-up is done by everyone I know.

If the pool world started to produce millionaires....
...you'd see a lot of pool players doing drills.
You got a problem with a shot?....shoot it till you own it.

This is the post of the thread.
All serious players would read this as gospel.
Sure natural ability could get you there but it's the drills that rise you to the top.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you know what I see a lot of confusion and people who don't like drills down talking drills. The reason why you don't see pros doing drill right now is cause they have already acquired the skills that lower level players are trying to get to why they are doing the drill in the first place, DUH. The pro is shooting a shot that he missed because that is what he has to work on at this time, he did drill to get to where he is. GESH.

I have a novel idea. Let's work on what works for us individually, keeps our focus, and helps us improve. Nobody knows what got any particular pro to their level except themselves. Everyone is different but I'll bet if you ask a pro what got them to their level none of them will say drills. I bet they'll say competition and the desire to perform while competing to win the gamble. JMHO.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Repetition is the key here. If you just play, then you are repeating your routine/stroke, but skill development will be slower compared to doing a drill. Top players already have a lot of skill, so they don't need to drill as much.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
when earl was still living in this area he could be seen practicing at the local room. once a week he would step up to table 5 at breakers (breaktime) and practice tough drills, mostly stroke drills.

And Shane says he never did/does drills. I said most, plus Earl just does them to show off and get the crowd around. :smile: Johnnyt

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
ahhh

They may not have needed drills, but could they have been even better if they had done them?

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I did drills for a half hour I'd fall asleep. Have you ever watched an A player warm-up? They don't do formal drills. They set up random shots. Do what works for you but I personally think that drills are the kool aid used to sell DVDs and books. I don't mean to disparage you if you like doing drills but from what I have observed it doesn't work for 90% of players. All of the better players got better through competition, observing other better players, and asking questions and oh did I mention competition?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If I did drills for a half hour I'd fall asleep. Have you ever watched an A player warm-up? They don't do formal drills. They set up random shots. Do what works for you but I personally think that drills are the kool aid used to sell DVDs and books. I don't mean to disparage you if you like doing drills but from what I have observed it doesn't work for 90% of players. All of the better players got better through competition, observing other better players, and asking questions and oh did I mention competition?

Right on the button. Johnnyt

Banks

Banned

I'm the same. Half hour would be my max, if i did drills. When i notice a problem with a shot, I'll keep at it until i find the problem and make adjustments or let my mind calibrate the shot. When i want to work on shooting, i start going for whatever shot on the table looks the most difficult. The easy shots just take focus.

I also agree with Tramp. When the money on the light means something serious to you, you'll find out real quick if you make the right shots and decisions. If i want the money bad enough, I'm going for the guaranteed safety over the open table shot. A lot easier to make that shot with bih.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They may not have needed drills, but could they have been even better if they had done them?

IF is the biggest word in the English language. People become better players by doing what works for them. That's what makes them comfortable. Ever try to play pool when you are uncomfortable with the table, the balls, the pockets, your shoes or you're too hot or you're too cold? Drop The Rock, just try finding good players in poolrooms and ask them to play $10 sets. Do this for a month asking your opponent questions when you have one and I'll bet you come out a better player after that month than you would have with a month of drills. Consider your losses, if there are any, the cost of lessons.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say, that there is a lot one can glean from putting the pressure on yourself to perform. Enough time and pressure will produce a diamond. I also feel that associations tend to rub off on people in pool, just like life. So if you surround yourself and associate with higher caliber people, your caliber will naturally raise to your surroundings. The same will happen if you surround yourself with low brow. So if you only associate with bangers, then your caliber will gravitate to that level as well.

The common theme on both sides of this gambling vs drilling discussion is one fundamental aspect: Table time. Pool works like a caloric economy. The more you put into it, the larger the yield from your labor.

But the entirety of pool is like a whale. It's massive in scale. And how does one best eat a whale? One bite at a time. Watching someone else eat won't stop you from starving. Watching someone eat will not necessarily teach one how to fish.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will say, that there is a lot one can glean from putting the pressure on yourself to perform. Enough time and pressure will produce a diamond. I also feel that associations tend to rub off on people in pool, just like life. So if you surround yourself and associate with higher caliber people, your caliber will naturally raise to your surroundings. The same will happen if you surround yourself with low brow. So if you only associate with bangers, then your caliber will gravitate to that level as well.

The common theme on both sides of this gambling vs drilling discussion is one fundamental aspect: Table time. Pool works like a caloric economy. The more you put into it, the larger the yield from your labor.

But the entirety of pool is like a whale. It's massive in scale. And how does one best eat a whale? One bite at a time. Watching someone else eat won't stop you from starving. Watching someone eat will not necessarily teach one how to fish.

Agreed. But I contend that some table time should be dedicated to playing better players. Watching them and asking questions is like teaching someone to fish rather than just giving them fish to eat.