Do playing gloves wear the shaft?

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My shaft used to be 12.7mm but now my caliper indicates it being a bit under 12.5mm (.490"). I'm using a Sir Joseph glove....

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
I don't see how gloves would wear the grain.
Burnishing the shaft to remove dents could crush the cells slightly.
Despite drying prior to turning, wood could still shrink laterally to the grain over time.
Continue using the glove and check it again in a year and let us know.
If the shrink rate slows or stops, it was not the glove.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Wood is harder than the nylon in your glove. Check your glove, I bet it is wearing out.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
My shaft used to be 12.7mm but now my caliper indicates it being a bit under 12.5mm (.490"). I'm using a Sir Joseph glove....

this reminds me of those cheap throw-away razors and NFL players using them. Commercial claimed their beards were sooooooo tough, that even a cheap throw-away could stand up to these tough beards, (then they show famous NFL players shaving with them and saving them to shave again.
Here's da thing: It's the water that rusts the blades that dulls the razor blades, not their tough beards ! It's hair against steel !! (for gawd's sake !!) , and ppl fell for it !!!

Very clever but untrue advertising.........................

SO

How is your nylon glove going to wear down a hard maple shaft ??? :grin-square: :rolleyes:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Chalk is an abrasive, basically fine sand (silica).
It can collect in the weave of your glove so that you're now wearing a piece of sand-paper.
It's likely that revelation won't help glove sales but it may help save someone's shaft.
If it's any consolation, shafts wear from chalk-friction with or without a glove.
It just seems to occur more frequently and quicker with a glove.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chalk is made from powered sand, more or less. How often do you wash your glove?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
all abrasion will wear something down even if harder. it just takes much longer.

id bet your measurements have changed over the years where you measured it or your equipment or memory..

most everyone at some time has sanded their shaft or rubbed it down with a pad to get it clean. all these things take a toll.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk is an abrasive, basically fine sand (silica).
It can collect in the weave of your glove so that you're now wearing a piece of sand-paper.
It's likely that revelation won't help glove sales but it may help save someone's shaft.
If it's any consolation, shafts wear from chalk-friction with or without a glove.
It just seems to occur more frequently and quicker with a glove.

Thanks to all who replied but KJ Cues and Bob Jewett might just be correct here. They don't take care of the tables very well where I play and I need to wash/clean my glove every couple to several days. In rinsing the glove the water turns dark blue from the accumulated chalk.....

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all who replied but KJ Cues and Bob Jewett might just be correct here. They don't take care of the tables very well where I play and I need to wash/clean my glove every couple to several days. In rinsing the glove the water turns dark blue from the accumulated chalk.....
You could try to shame them into doing more by cleaning the table yourself. They'll probably ignore you but at least the table will be clean.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe its the chalk from the table. Taking a shaft down, even 0.2mm [.008"], takes a deliberate amount of sanding on a lathe. If it truly was due to glove plus chalk wear, the shaft would probably be worn more in the stroking area than right behind the ferrule.

Did you measure the number before to be 12.7 mm? Or are you relying on a manufacturer's number? Did you measure in the exact same place?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:idea2:

Well...you can make your shaft bigger.

You can put shaft sealer on it and put wax on it every week and watch it grow.

And if you really want to make it grow, keep putting clear coat on it.

If it doesn't work at least you can say you tried.:D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could try to shame them into doing more by cleaning the table yourself. They'll probably ignore you but at least the table will be clean.
Good idea. But what vacuum cleaner and attachment is the best to use on Simonis cloth? They use the Simonis X-1 device and if it worked efficiently I wouldn't have to clean my glove so often. I've gone back to no glove now...

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe its the chalk from the table. Taking a shaft down, even 0.2mm [.008"], takes a deliberate amount of sanding on a lathe. If it truly was due to glove plus chalk wear, the shaft would probably be worn more in the stroking area than right behind the ferrule.

Did you measure the number before to be 12.7 mm? Or are you relying on a manufacturer's number? Did you measure in the exact same place?
I was surprised to hear that chalk might be the reason for my slowly disappearing shafts. I did measure my shafts after I had them made and was disappointed when I recently measured them again. I was about to send it to my favorite cue maker to have a ferrule installed when I discovered my shaft was no longer the diameter I thought it to be. Also, I did measure in several different locations near the tip with similar results...

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This might not be the best way to clean a shaft but I use 91% alcohol on a 100% cotton towel and burnish with same dry towel. It seems to clean very well without losing all of the desirable patina. But I clean my shaft infrequently. Let me know if there's a better way to clean a shaft...

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you measuring the shaft? If you are measuring at the ferrule, I would doubt that your glove or table chalk could have anything to do with it. 0.2 mm is a lot of loss and your glove does not often spend much time near the ferrule.

Have you had tips replaced since the shaft was new? Some/many tip installers sand ferrules when installing tips.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are you measuring the shaft? If you are measuring at the ferrule, I would doubt that your glove or table chalk could have anything to do with it. 0.2 mm is a lot of loss and your glove does not often spend much time near the ferrule.

Have you had tips replaced since the shaft was new? Some/many tip installers sand ferrules when installing tips.
Interesting and I think you have a good point. If there was wear from the glove/chalk it had to be near perfect as my shaft measures smoothly near the tip (no ferrule shaft) and increases graduallly with the taper.