Don Willis' con

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don Willis.jpg

It was 1965. I was a college kid, hanging out at Paddy's 7-11 Pool Hall on Broadway, above the Metropole Cafe near 51st Street in NYC. Walter Tevis' book, "The Hustler," had been made into a movie in 1961 and pool was still very hot in NYC. It was a late Spring Friday night, I believe, in 1965 when Don Willis and Dean Chance strode into Paddy's 7-11. They were both wearing beautiful white linen suits and huge cowboy hats. I never saw anything like it. Johnny Ervolino, Staten Island, Brooklyn Jimmy, Jersey Red, Slim, New York Blackie, Deano....they were all there. The entire room turned their attention to Willis and Chance, who were fooling around on a 5x10 billiard table. After joking around and missing most of their shots, Willis worked the crowd, masterfully, into a proposition bet: he said that he could play a billiard by hitting the cue ball into the red ball, then jumping the cue ball off the table, running the cue ball across the uneven floor boards and then, completing the billiard on the floor by touching another cue ball, which was about 30 feet away, nestled next to the foot of a Brunswick Gold Crown across the room. Dean Chance was laughing and joking about how impossible such a shot really was, as if anyone was stupid enough try even try it.

Chance, who had already won the Cy Young Award in the American League in 1964, tried to shoot it and couldn't even jump the table with the cue ball. He "paid" Willis some money and then said that nobody could make that shot. Willis played the crowd some more and then drew them in for the kill. He "bet" Chance, I think it was $1000, that he could make it if he got three tries. On the first shot, he miscued, missed by a mile, and there were snickers heard all over the room. Now, Don moved in for the kill. He side bet with anybody for any amount before the second shot. A few guys in the room were holding the stakes. I don't know what the total bet was, but it was a couple of thousand, at least. Now, Don Willis chalked up, jacked up, and struck the cue ball perfectly. It hit the red ball, jumped the table, ran along the uneven and worn out floor boards of the 7-11, and slowly came to rest as it struck the other cue ball, which Willis had "casually" placed against one of the feet of the old Gold Crown. The entire room erupted. Men were almost falling down, laughing, gasping, pointing and shouting. Don collected the money and he offered to bet again because he said that it was a "lucky shot and he wanted to give everyone a chance to get their money back". There were no takers. Then Willis and Dean Chance left Paddy's. I never saw either of them again. I didn't even learn Don Willis' name until years later when I recounted this story to George Fels. George told me that Don Willis played the same con in Chicago at Bensinger's, where the cue ball ran down a flight of stairs. The gimmick, of course, is that Willis would go into the room when nobody was there several days before and figure out where the cue ball would naturally come to rest on the uneven floor. The rest was simply like taking candy from a baby. This story is true, I was there in Paddy's, although I don't know who was on the "in" and who was on the "out" of the con. Willis was a master of many cons. But he really could shoot pool.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He also could beat anyone in a backwards foot race iirc- on which he scored regularly.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 364218

It was 1965. I was a college kid, hanging out at Paddy's 7-11 Pool Hall on Broadway, above the Metropole Cafe near 51st Street in NYC. Walter Tevis' book, "The Hustler," had been made into a movie in 1961 and pool was still very hot in NYC. It was a late Spring Friday night, I believe, in 1965 when Don Willis and Dean Chance strode into Paddy's 7-11. They were both wearing beautiful white linen suits and huge cowboy hats. I never saw anything like it. Johnny Ervolino, Staten Island, Brooklyn Jimmy, Jersey Red, Slim, New York Blackie, Deano....they were all there. The entire room turned their attention to Willis and Chance, who were fooling around on a 5x10 billiard table. After joking around and missing most of their shots, Willis worked the crowd, masterfully, into a proposition bet: he said that he could play a billiard by hitting the cue ball into the red ball, then jumping the cue ball off the table, running the cue ball across the uneven floor boards and then, completing the billiard on the floor by touching another cue ball, which was about 30 feet away, nestled next to the foot of a Brunswick Gold Crown across the room. Dean Chance was laughing and joking about how impossible such a shot really was, as if anyone was stupid enough try even try it.

Chance, who had already won the Cy Young Award in the American League in 1964, tried to shoot it and couldn't even jump the table with the cue ball. He "paid" Willis some money and then said that nobody could make that shot. Willis played the crowd some more and then drew them in for the kill. He "bet" Chance, I think it was $1000, that he could make it if he got three tries. On the first shot, he miscued, missed by a mile, and there were snickers heard all over the room. Now, Don moved in for the kill. He side bet with anybody for any amount before the second shot. A few guys in the room were holding the stakes. I don't know what the total bet was, but it was a couple of thousand, at least. Now, Don Willis chalked up, jacked up, and struck the cue ball perfectly. It hit the red ball, jumped the table, ran along the uneven and worn out floor boards of the 7-11, and slowly came to rest as it struck the other cue ball, which Willis had "casually" placed against one of the feet of the old Gold Crown. The entire room erupted. Men were almost falling down, laughing, gasping, pointing and shouting. Don collected the money and he offered to bet again because he said that it was a "lucky shot and he wanted to give everyone a chance to get their money back". There were no takers. Then Willis and Dean Chance left Paddy's. I never saw either of them again. I didn't even learn Don Willis' name until years later when I recounted this story to George Fels. George told me that Don Willis played the same con in Chicago at Bensinger's, where the cue ball ran down a flight of stairs. The gimmick, of course, is that Willis would go into the room when nobody was there several days before and figure out where the cue ball would naturally come to rest on the uneven floor. The rest was simply like taking candy from a baby. This story is true, I was there in Paddy's, although I don't know who was on the "in" and who was on the "out" of the con. Willis was a master of many cons. But he really could shoot pool.

Awesome story, thanks Brother!

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
good story. there were a million of those proposition shots that players used in poolrooms all the time hoping for a sucker to bet. what i doubt is that in 7/11 any real takers for more than a few bucks would bet as the players there were the sharpest of anywhere. and the few suckers hadnt much money.

goldeagle2134

Registered
During my time in Albuquerque I can't remember anyone Cowboy Jimmy Moore spoke more highly of than Don Willis. His skills were not limited to billiards.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don Willis was the closest thing to Titanic Thompson that there was. I'm sure they knew each other because their era's overlapped. Don was world class speed at ping pong and a master handicapper at sports. His specialty was college basketball and he spent his winters in Vegas beating the books.

Don't think he couldn't play pool, even though he usually looked for suckers. His road partner was frequently Luther Lassiter and occasionally George Rood, two of the best in the country. Lassiter once said that if he needed someone to shoot one shot for his life he wanted it to be Don Willis. He was from Canton, Ohio and I got to see him play in Dayton and Cincy when I was a kid. He sometimes came to the big pool tournaments, but stayed pretty much undercover. All the top players knew him, but I never saw anyone ask him to play.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don Willis would walk into a poolroom, and with his personality, take over the room, gambling at pool, 3-cushion, ping pong, dice, and gin rummy...all with different people in the room. He was also a state champion horseshoe pitcher. Jack White told me tales of him, Minnesota Fats, Luther Lassiter and Don Willis taking three trips cross country together. This would have been in the early-to-mid-1950's, long before The Hustler was even written. He said the one thing he learned the most...NEVER bet against Don Willis, no matter how preposterous the bet was. LOL :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Don Willis was the closest thing to Titanic Thompson that there was. I'm sure they knew each other because their era's overlapped. Don was world class speed at ping pong and a master handicapper at sports. His specialty was college basketball and he spent his winters in Vegas beating the books.

Don't think he couldn't play pool, even though he usually looked for suckers. His road partner was frequently Luther Lassiter and occasionally George Rood, two of the best in the country. Lassiter once said that if he needed someone to shoot one shot for his life he wanted it to be Don Willis. He was from Canton, Ohio and I got to see him play in Dayton and Cincy when I was a kid. He sometimes came to the big pool tournaments, but stayed pretty much undercover. All the top players knew him, but I never saw anyone ask him to play.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fortyfive racks,why don't they just say 5000 racks

It was actually, according to a National Billiard News article, 40 racks.

Willis didn't break and run 40 racks; if his opponent gave up the table on a miss, safety, or push-out, Willis then ran out 40 racks in a row, which is pretty damned good.

The National Billiard News said that Willis had 14.1 high runs of 206, 216, 230 plus a high run of 281 balls. Willis also holds the record for most consecutive wing shots, 42 (twice).

Here is a short list of World Champions that Willis defeated in 14.1 (all matches on a 5x10):

Don Willis 125--Erwin Rudolph 35
High Run Willis 88

Don Willis 125--Jimmy Moore 33
High Run Willis 48

Don Willis 100--Jimmy Caras 97
High Run Willis 87 and out

Don Willis 125--Ralph Greenleaf 40
High Run Willis 66 and out

Don Willis 125--Willie Mosconi 65
High Run Willis 70 and out

It should be mentioned that Willis never entered a tournament, so he holds no tiltles and no official records, according to the BCA Record Book.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can thank me later if you haven't seen this...

posted on Max Eberle's channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFax7pwcw8

This is classic stuff here. Thank you Max! I was selling motorbikes on a small lot on Main St. in Dayton in the early 60's and there was a little poolroom a block away on the other side of Main St. They would have a ring 9-Ball game there every day, paying on the five and nine ball (something like 50 cents on the five and a dollar on the nine). If the five or nine was made out of turn it spotted up and you got paid and kept shooting.

One day I hear that some old guy is in there beating the game, so I went over to see who it was. I recognized Willis immediately because I had seen him a year or two earlier in Johnston City. I sat there and watched him make shot after shot on the five and nine, all of them looking like lucky shots. He was just flying the cue ball around and playing all kinds of combos, billiards and kiss shots. I watched while one player after another dropped out of the game, until it was just Don and one other guy, who was a good player (Deno Gounaris). Don beat on him for a while until he quit too. When it was over, he was out of there in a flash, just disappearing like the Lone Ranger.

Who was that guy they were all wondering? I kept my mouth shut and went back to work. I saw Willis a few times after that but never told him that I saw him play that day in Dayton.

P.S. Don Willis was probably in his early 50's then. He was about 5'7 or 5'8 with a stocky build, kind of short and stout. He looked just like the pic you see on here.

Last edited:

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not enough has been said about Don Willis. I met him only once at the Pool Room in Los Angeles at 4th and Main street. He came down with another forgotten great hustler, Fred Whelan. My buddy an older guy said it was "Watch Out Time." Those two together would figure out a way to beat the best hustlers out of their cash. Fred was staging the LA Straight Pool Open and Don was visiting him. Don didn't play tournaments and as the story goes would play any champion a game of pool for the cash. He was a running road buddy of Luther Lassiter and it is said that Luther would bet his last money on Don playing any living human. I looked up Don Willis on Google and some interesting stories came up. He is a Ohio native and Jay is correct about his skill level. One thing I found very interesting was that he was the Armed Forces Ping Pong Champion and that he hustled Ping Pong and would play anyone even up only using a pencil and you could have a paddle. Another story was that in the 1950's he misplaced $100,000 only to find it 5 years later in a coat his wife put in the attic. He never worked and apparently raised 6 kids, paid for his house cash and sent all of them to college paid for in cash. He is said to have been the best money player in nine ball and straight pool of all time. That is hard to verify I would suspect. There just isn't enough written down about this legend and sadly those that knew him well are passed on. I hope other have some stories about Don that they could share here.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He was pretty amazing with a deck of cards. I met him in Tampa some years ago in a pool room when there was a tournament going on. He was just hanging out not playing. Someone asked him to do some card tricks and he just happened to have a deck in his pocket. Although I spoke with him all of five minutes it is cool to have actually met him.

What was also cool was to see top players acting around him like school girls meeting an idol. He held a special place in the pool subculture.

Last edited: