Double black linen phenolic...help

"Tommy"

Registered
I am looking for some good DOUBLE-BLACK LINEN TUBE .625" ID x .906" OD

Before my mentor Alex passed away he had purchased some a while back that was really cloudy. I have also read here on AZ that others are encountering the same thing. I am getting down to the last little bit of the old good stuff. I also read of ways to darken it. Rather than darken it I am trying to find a good supply of it to purchase that would not require darkening. A lot of what I use it for is just sanded and buffed. (no finish other than buffing compound) I also read in a past post that buying the solid rod is the way to go. Could anyone confirm that if I bought solid rod DOUBLE BLACK LINEN ROD 1.000" DIA. x 36" LENGTH would I still have cloudiness? (Atlas) I am looking to stock up on some quality material. Any suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks...Tom

Here is some pictures of my cloudy stuff...

Attachments

• DSC_0911.jpg
    DSC_0911.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC_0912.jpg
    DSC_0912.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 469

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have never seen black phenolic that was ALL black with no sealer or finish on it. If you were to put a thin coat of sealer on that, it'll turn all black with no cloudiness, in my experience. One thing I have also learned, un-sealed phenolic can and will absorb moisture, so no sealer/finish on it....it will swell slightly, and / or shrink slightly as time goes by
Dave

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought some from Atlas that was very dark. I'm very happy with it.

"Tommy"

Registered
I recently bought some from Atlas that was very dark. I'm very happy with it.

Did you buy the tube or solid rod? Was it cloudy at all? I am trying to find something that would only need cut, sanded, and then buffed with several buffing compounds. The cloudy stuff I got would require a sealant to be absorbed in to it to use it. The old stuff I was using did not require this.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Times change, so does the availability and quality of limited-run specialty mtrls.
You can pretty much bank on every batch being different.
What is currently available is, in a word, crap. JMHO of course.