Dust Extractor

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry if I'm repeating a posted thread...cannot find anything.
I want a GOOD collector to use with a Jet 1221 Spindle and 48" large bore. Current using a 1 micron bag w/1.5h Penn State Industry collector. Not comfortable with the bag type. I saw 2 cartridge units. One by Rocker and Oneida. Shipping cost is nuts. The Jet 650 looks good but not available...and it's tall where I prefer a compact. Suggestions appreciated ... 1 micron cartridge filtration units.

dendweller

Anyone using a bench top extractor?
I have one from Oneida Systems. It's about 18 inches wide, 14 high or so. Has I think 8 small fans in it and sucks a lot of air.
Think they now have a hepa version.

I do all my work on the same bench and am able to move it in pretty close if I think I should.
I don't do a ton of work, just dabbling on my own cues, biggest mess I make is occasionally sanding a shaft a bit.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have one from Oneida Systems. It's about 18 inches wide, 14 high or so. Has I think 8 small fans in it and sucks a lot of air.
Think they now have a hepa version.

I do all my work on the same bench and am able to move it in pretty close if I think I should.
I don't do a ton of work, just dabbling on my own cues, biggest mess I make is occasionally sanding a shaft a bit.

Exactly what I'm looking at... will use it behind the cue lathe only. Just tinkering for myself also. Would you recommend or buy it again....Thanks for your reply...

Looking at this>>>>Benchtop Variable-Speed MERV-15 Personal Dust Collector

dendweller

Exactly what I'm looking at... will use it behind the cue lathe only. Just tinkering for myself also. Would you recommend or buy it again....Thanks for your reply...

I would. The hepa version looks nice, big swing in money though.

dendweller

Not sure how much good it does but I sometimes also hook a hepa vac hose up to my carriage to grab some before it gets to the extractor.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
The other choice is a Rockler 750. But the bench top looks ideal.

Attachments

• shopping-2.jpeg
    shopping-2.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I struggled with this for a while. My workshop is in a small space. I have a small Hepa filter, masks and shop vac but wasn't fully satisfied. I don’t have enough room nor a place outside for a big dust collector. I am trying out an idea now that seems to be working pretty well. I built a hood with a 6” duct behind the lathe with a screen to catch the bigger debris. This goes to an inline duct fan that sends the dust through a duct and window unit for a portable AC unit. The fine dust blows outside, and the bigger stuff stopped by the screen can just be scooped into the trash.

Even when using the router there is very little escaping.

IMG_7817.jpeg

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
I struggled with this for a while. My workshop is in a small space. I have a small Hepa filter, masks and shop vac but wasn't fully satisfied. I don’t have enough room nor a place outside for a big dust collector. I am trying out an idea now that seems to be working pretty well. I built a hood with a 6” duct behind the lathe with a screen to catch the bigger debris. This goes to an inline duct fan that sends the dust through a duct and window unit for a portable AC unit. The fine dust blows outside, and the bigger stuff stopped by the screen can just be scooped into the trash.

Even when using the router there is very little escaping.

View attachment 744952
Nice set up...

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I use a wall-mounted Rockler 1250 two-stage collector with Hepa and a ceiling-mounted air filtration unit in my very small shop. Being ceiling and wall-mounted helps a ton in a small shop because it consumes no floor space. Works fantastic, I have virtually no dust in my shop.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a wall-mounted Rockler 1250 two-stage collector with Hepa and a ceiling-mounted air filtration unit in my very small shop. Being ceiling and wall-mounted helps a ton in a small shop because it consumes no floor space. Works fantastic, I have virtually no dust in my shop.
You do things right.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I would not trust any system that didn't remove stuff to someplace outside of my shop. This makes heating/cooling a bit harder, since you're replacing instead of recycling air.
I don't care what kind of filters you have, it is probably letting some stuff through.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I would not trust any system that didn't remove stuff to someplace outside of my shop. This makes heating/cooling a bit harder, since you're replacing instead of recycling air.
I don't care what kind of filters you have, it is probably letting some stuff through.

Makeup air is definitely an issue with external exhaust in a climate where outside temperature and humidity are quite variable. Living in Florida, temp swings are significant and humidity as well. My shop has its own dedicated HVAC unit with dehumidifier. However, my shop is also quite small. If I took the output of the chip collection (1250cfm) outside of the workshop, my HVAC would never keep up. So, I doubled down on the air filtration and bring in outside air only when it makes sense. I've also recently moved all of my wood storage to an interior storage closet in my house so it doesn't see any swings while it ages/dries.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^

dendweller

Have any pics?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No doubt that some stuff gets through. That's why I also wear a respirator. You can only do so much.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
No doubt that some stuff gets through. That's why I also wear a respirator. You can only do so much.
I also worry about the fines settling in to your shop and stirring up later. Later you are doing something you don't think you need a mask for and inhaling it.