Eagle eye and sightright

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most snooker coaches teach some variation on vision centre, and stepping inward to the shot isn’t unique to sightright. However, one of the differences is that sightright is much more prescriptive...
But I think for some of the more sideways pool stances, it might be hard to form those from a square starting position while keeping the shotline in your vision centre the entire time.

If you watch:

Session 6 - The SightRight Stance
2nd video
8:20 mark

Stephen Feeney says:

Remember, as you step into the shot to form your stance, keep your eyes on the Pocket SightRight. As you step in, the lines won't stay together, but when you are down on the shot, if you are sighting perfectly over the cue, you will see...[one of the various visual patterns that lets you know that your vision center is on the shot line].
In light of what Stephen Feeney said in that video, do you believe that SightRight prescribes that you should keep your vision center on the shot line the whole time during the step in? That was not my understanding.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
If you watch:

Stephen Feeney says:

In light of what Stephen Feeney said in that video, do you believe that SightRight prescribes that you should keep your vision center on the shot line the whole time during the step in? That was not my understanding.
Based on my coaching from other coaches, I would say sort of. I think the lines won’t line up partly because you are transitioning from the high planar to low planar to position, but I’m not certain for that. But coaching from Nic Barrow has instilled in me that you want to keep your head on the line of the shot on the way down. So basically maintain the shot picture as you transition from sighting to your stance. Otherwise, what can happen is that you need to reacquire your shotline a second time.

• Love
Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you watch:

Stephen Feeney says:

In light of what Stephen Feeney said in that video, do you believe that SightRight prescribes that you should keep your vision center on the shot line the whole time during the step in? That was not my understanding
7 stud
your interpretation was mine also
i try to do it the way described by cameron smith and bob jewett
to me it made no sense to go offline to get back online
too bad i could not get an explanation from sightright

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Masters 2023. Final. Judd Trump v Mark Williams.

There's a good shot of Mark William's PSR and step in at 35:36:

During his PSR, Mark Williams's back hand isn't on the shot line (his back hand is above Judd Trump's left shoulder in the background). Then, he steps in to his right in order to get his back hand on the shot line (his back hand ends up near Judd Trump's right elbow in the background). I don't see much wrist rotation. It seems to be pretty much what SightRight teaches in their videos. He does hold his cue extended in front of his body while in his PSR, which looks a little odd. It looks like his head drops straight down on the shot line as he steps in.

Here are some other clips of Mark Williams in the same match:

1:25:00
1:38:56

Last edited: