Earl Strickland vs Shane Van Boening 10 Ball Race to 100

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched 13 episodes so far. Question I have is does anyone know the date this happened?

I’m thinking 15 years ago give or take a couple of years

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Action Challenge 2
10-Ball
Louisville, KY
Nov. 15-17, 2007

...............SVB - Earl​
Day 1 -- 30 - 17​
Day 2 -- 30 - 23​
Day 3 -- 40 - 23​
Total -- 100 - 63​
I think Earl came out of the gate on that one pretty fast and had an early lead, maybe 14-8 or something like that. Seems like SVB finished strong on the first day. Am I remembering this right? Or was that another TAR match? I know there is one Earl came out of the gate real solid on against SVB. I bet on it.

Jack Fate

Action Challenge 2
10-Ball
Louisville, KY
Nov. 15-17, 2007

Day 1 -- 30 - 17​
Day 2 -- 30 - 23​
Day 3 -- 40 - 23​
Total -- 100 -​
Someone stole that match from Jcin.

I was there in person for I think day 2. It was scary. It felt like Earl was going to jump into the stands and start punching random people.
As I watched I got that same feeling.
Sad cause I like Earl, now not quite as much

WobblyStroke

Action Challenge 2
10-Ball
Louisville, KY
Nov. 15-17, 2007

Day 1 -- 30 - 17​
Day 2 -- 30 - 23​
Day 3 -- 40 - 23​
Total -- 100 - 63​
I guess u posting the first TAR between these 2? This race is from 2011. I'm sure anyone watching figured out u posting about something else given that through the posted episodes so far, Earl is in the lead and in the 70s already.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Support the producer.

if anything he should do as accustats, fastlenny, etc and put it on youtube. there's so much live pro pool these days that after the fact pool videos have less demand. atleast youtube would get him ad revenue.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although Earl definitely behaved erratically, he played great in this match- he was making long distance shots with seeming ease. This table allowed Earl to show just how talented he is

xX-Wizard-Xx

if anything he should do as accustats, fastlenny, etc and put it on youtube. there's so much live pro pool these days that after the fact pool videos have less demand. atleast youtube would get him ad revenue.
yeah i really dont mind watching old pool videos on youtube ... i get about the same out of it as if it were live. im not cheap but im not paying for the privilege sit around and watch something .... i would rather be playing

WobblyStroke

Although Earl definitely behaved erratically, he played great in this match- he was making long distance shots with seeming ease. This table allowed Earl to show just how talented he is
Ye, some of his power stroke shots on that monster table highlighted the gap between him and even other pros. Sure they can also produce the shot, but the ease with which he delivers that cue and gets so much on the ball is pretty special.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess u posting the first TAR between these 2? This race is from 2011. I'm sure anyone watching figured out u posting about something else given that through the posted episodes so far, Earl is in the lead and in the 70s already.
In post #5, Fatboy asked "What TAR match was the first SVB vs Earl?" My post #7 answered that question.

The match in March, 2011 was TAR 20, their second TAR match.

Their third, and last, TAR match (9-Ball that time) was TAR 22 in December, 2011 at the TAR studio. Results:

Day 1 -- 20 - 25​
Day 2 -- 30 - 23​
Day 3 -- 25 - 19​
Total -- 76 - 67​

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember people saying this 10 foot table was a "gaff" table. Re-watching this match now, I don't see anything "gaff" about it

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember people saying this 10 foot table was a "gaff" table. Re-watching this match now, I don't see anything "gaff" about it
It was a snooker table converted to a pool table. I don’t think they changed the height of the wood rails though, but only changed the cushions. I’m also unsure if the slate cutouts were changed.

There was a space heater or 2 under the table. I was there in person one day and the temperature did not feel right in the room. The room was a big warehouse type room at the back of a bar business, bleacher seatings, etc. It might have even been a metal building. I recall it was cold and damp. Too difficult to heat that big of a space. I think without the space heaters under the table, the rails would have played wet and bouncy.

That said Earl was running out like 1984 on that table. Shane kept missing balls that would have also missed on a modern table. Earl simply outplayed him by a mile that one set.

I believe a couple years later Mark Gregory got ahold of the table and did the conversion properly from the ground up. It ended up in a short-lived streaming setup in Florida that also had a 9’ Centennial. If you search his name from around 2013 I’m guessing you might find his posts on reconstructing that table. I may be confusing tables in my head, however, and the table Mark did might have been another one all together:) .

Last edited: