Earl "The Pearl" orders a break cue?

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Earl "The Pearl" orders a jump cue?

EDIT: Thanks to Seven_7days for pointing out my tremendous fail with the thread title. I meant jump and somehow break was typed. FML

Tonight (9/23/13) SloMoHolic streamed his one pocket match on his channel. Kudos to Blake for stepping up to the plate. But, that's not what this post is about. There was a user in the chat that went by the name "Stevelomax". He made the statement that Earl Strickland just ordered a "Jump" cue from him. I know, I laughed it off in disbelief as well.

Being skeptical I called BS based purely on the fact of what was stated and I was of the assumption it was just someone trolling (Earl vocally being a strong advocate against jump cues period). To me that equals Bill Clinton advocating against oral, and just didn't sound right. After quite some time though, It just may have been the real Steve Lomax judging by how everyone was conversing with him.

Steve stated he would be posting pictures of it to AZB in the near future. Time will tell If this is in fact legit and true. I have and use a jump cue, and can jump quite effectively with it. I'm also in agreement of Earls former opinions on the matter of using jump cues and that I don't think they should be legal. Not that jumping should be illegal, I just personally feel (my opinions here) that if you jump, it should be with a full playing cue.

The reason I use a jump cue is a simple one. If my opponent is using one with success against me, then I might as well use one as well if and when needed. Doesn't mean I like the idea of it from a traditional standpoint.

I digress, as this post wasn't intended to be about "my opinion" on jump cues, but to strike up conversation about Earls reversal of opinion and his personal use of a "jump" cue. I also understand that if indeed he did order one, that doesn't mean he will be using it in competition.

So how about it folks, whats your opinions on this if it turns out to be true and not a troll sparked event?

Dopc...possibly trolled to easily here

Last edited:

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
It's true!

I was there when Steve Lomax announced it. Shawn Putnam said he's not too surprised since Lomax makes the best Jump Cue out there.

It's either a really good publicity stunt, or Earl has finally joined the dark-side...LOL.

Who's next?
Jimmy Mattaya?

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
I was there when Steve Lomax announced it. Shawn Putnam said he's not too surprised since Lomax makes the best Jump Cue out there.

It's either a really good publicity stunt, or Earl has finally joined the dark-side...LOL.

Who's next?
Jimmy Mattaya?

I know, crazy thought isn't it. So, how much flack is Earl in for when he starts using it. Bahahhahahaa, this is going to get good I have a feeling. I foresee some full tilt antics brewing possibly.......

Dopc.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonight (9/23/13) SloMoHolic streamed his one pocket match on his channel. Kudos to Blake for stepping up to the plate. But, that's not what this post is about. There was a user in the chat that went by the name "Stevelomax". He made the statement that Earl Strickland just ordered a "Jump" cue from him. I know, I laughed it off in disbelief as well.

Being skeptical I called BS based purely on the fact of what was stated and I was of the assumption it was just someone trolling (Earl vocally being a strong advocate against jump cues period). To me that equals Bill Clinton advocating against oral, and just didn't sound right. After quite some time though, It just may have been the real Steve Lomax judging by how everyone was conversing with him.

Steve stated he would be posting pictures of it to AZB in the near future. Time will tell If this is in fact legit and true. I have and use a jump cue, and can jump quite effectively with it. I'm also in agreement of Earls former opinions on the matter of using jump cues and that I don't think they should be legal. Not that jumping should be illegal, I just personally feel (my opinions here) that if you jump, it should be with a full playing cue.

The reason I use a jump cue is a simple one. If my opponent is using one with success against me, then I might as well use one as well if and when needed. Doesn't mean I like the idea of it from a traditional standpoint.

I digress, as this post wasn't intended to be about "my opinion" on jump cues, but to strike up conversation about Earls reversal of opinion and his personal use of a "jump" cue. I also understand that if indeed he did order one, that doesn't mean he will be using it in competition.

So how about it folks, whats your opinions on this if it turns out to be true and not a troll sparked event?

so....did he order a BREAK cue after all that?
toetap05.gif

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Earl has used a "jump" cue a lot. He used to have a shorter cue that he would use for some jump shots. He knows full well that a shorter cue is more efficient.

RioSevario

Rivers
Silver Member
EDIT:

I have and use a jump cue, and can jump quite effectively with it. I'm also in agreement of Earls former opinions on the matter of using jump cues and that I don't think they should be legal. Not that jumping should be illegal, I just personally feel (my opinions here) that if you jump, it should be with a full playing cue.

I

I don't understand what the problem with a jump cue is. It is a tool of the game. Much the same way a bridge is, or that nifty little glove some players use. If you are a traditionalist do you also balk at the new developments with cue technology or different tips used on cues? What about the extension that players put on the butt of the cue to help them reach longer shots? What about those darn delta 13 and magic racks that some people use to get better racks?

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do I think..? hmmmm...more hype to sale jump cues.

probably should get that special tip an chalk too.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What do I think..? hmmmm...more hype to sale jump cues.

probably should get that special tip an chalk too.

Actually I have heard several good players say Lomax makes the best Jump cue.
I have not tried one, my old bungee jumper still works for me.
Mark

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
I don't understand all of the skepticism here. Just because Earl hates jump cues doesn't mean he would never own one. I hate gasoline yet I buy it every week. I would venture to say most mechanics hate wrenches and they use them daily. It is a tool for his chosen career.

I spoke to Steve last week and he told me Earl contacted him about a jump cue and he is making him one. That chat member "stevelomax" is indeed, drumroll please.....Steve Lomax.

Nobody got "trolled", the only thing that occurred is that someone might have thought they knew more than they actually did and then realized they did not.

Carry on with the jump cue bash-a-thon.:smile:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't use a low deflection shaft. I've had a couple guys that switched to them tell me it's like cheating. So yeah, no jump cues, no low deflection shafts. And I want a rack that slugs everyone. It's boring to see three balls go in on the break and leave a wide open table (not that I can do it).

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I have heard several good players say Lomax makes the best Jump cue.
I have not tried one, my old bungee jumper still works for me.
Mark

Lomax is the real deal, jumping and breaking cues are both amazing. I'm not sure what he does to make them this way but he does it right.

Earl can jump full table with a f'n Meucci! ha!

Jump cues should be legal...not everyone has the stroke or ability to jump with a full cue...I can if it's half or quarter ball...but full ball, close up....no way. But I never said I was good.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
AFAIK, playing pool for a living is Earl's only source of income. Is it surprising that he'll want the best equipment to keep his competitive edge? To me, its a testament of the effectiveness of the Lomax Jump/Break cue.

On AZ I get the impression that professionals are judged on a double standard.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Jump cues

If you are getting beat by a jump cue, then you need to get one and learn how to use it, especially if you are a money player.

I have a J&J break/jump cue, but I am not real happy with it (probably more my technique than the cue), but neverl-the-less a Frog is on its way to me as I type this.

I bought one of the original 46" Frogs in Vegas from Robin back in late 80's. First time I had to use it in a money matchup, I had to use it 7 times. I made 6 of the shots, and had a good hit on the other shot, and I have never forgot that, so that is my reason for going back to a Frog.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AFAIK, playing pool for a living is Earl's only source of income. Is it surprising that he'll want the best equipment to keep his competitive edge? To me, its a testament of the effectiveness of the Lomax Jump/Break cue.

On AZ I get the impression that professionals are judged on a double standard.

On Internet forums, professionals of any sport are judged on a double standard

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You will be hard pressed to find a more stand up guy than Steve Lomax. So if Steve said Earl ordered a jump cue from him then you can bet it is true.