Eastside Billiards NYC

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Astoria Queens has a historic Greek-American community. Some folks go to Steinway for chess action, others football (soccer), and for us it's pool.

If Steinway didn't have the poolhall, they could hold their own as a Greek diner. I frequently see customers order grilled fish, lamb chops, steaks, and Souvlaki (greek kebabs).

Owners are very passionate about pool and supporting the pool scene in NYC community.

Steinways has a group of elderly folks that sit towards the front of the room and play games (mostly chess) from their homeland. I forgot if they are Czech, Russian, Polish? They don't seem to involve themselves in the game of pool at all. Its kinda cool:)

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Jim you should check out Felt in Englewood.
I hear there are some old guys there that play pretty good.

I know a few of those guys down there and you are correct they are killers. This winter we have had ample snow in the high country and my weekends have been full. I will give you plenty of notice when I will be hunting you. I have been playing pretty sporty!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Amsterdam Billiards and Bar is located in the heart of NYU dorm territory. The drinking age in NYC is 21, and there are thousands of underaged kids trying to find a place that they can sneak in a drink. At nights, Amsterdam has a bouncer to screen and wrist band those kids. During the day, there is no bouncer so the manager on duty has to keep an eye out.

I've seen underage kids will try to walk in, ignore the counter, pretend to go to the back, hopefully to lose the tail, then attempt to saunter their way to the bar. If I'm having a conversation with the desk, they'll break off in mid stream to chase down these kids and get them banded.

Most of the staff are passionate about pool, and play in leagues and tournaments.

The first time I went to Amsterdam I walked right past the front counter and proceeded to saunter through the room to look things over. The man that was behind the counter didn't like that at all, he followed me to the other side of the room and explained I needed to check in first and then (if i was accepted) I could rent some balls and play awhile,:eek: Danny Barouty was the guy who taught me manners that day:cool:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Amsterdam Billiards and Bar is located in the heart of NYU dorm territory. The drinking age in NYC is 21, and there are thousands of underaged kids trying to find a place that they can sneak in a drink. At nights, Amsterdam has a bouncer to screen and wrist band those kids. During the day, there is no bouncer so the manager on duty has to keep an eye out.

I've seen underage kids will try to walk in, ignore the counter, pretend to go to the back, hopefully to lose the tail, then attempt to saunter their way to the bar. If I'm having a conversation with the desk, they'll break off in mid stream to chase down these kids and get them banded.

Most of the staff are passionate about pool, and play in leagues and tournaments.

That makes sense, its a very busy city and I am sure Amsterdam does not want to serve minors or have anyone in the place that wants to raise hel!.

This was the day I first met Danny, I had know idea of who he was since I had never heard of him. I asked about buying my youngest son lessons, he had just graduated and was just moving to town. My boy got lessons from Danny and joined a league and his level of play improved tremendously.

I do believe Danny has since moved to the west coast.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
You are correct, Danny moved to the west coast, to take care of elderly family. So, he is no longer available to give lessons at Amsterdam. Mika, Hunter Lombardo, Mike Yednak, Sean Alaska Morgan are house pros at Amsterdam.

The straight pool league that he used to run at Amsterdam is still thriving. This past season we had 94 players.

That makes sense, its a very busy city and I
am sure Amsterdam does not want to serve minors or have anyone in the place that wants to raise hel!.

This was the day I first met Danny, I had know idea of who he was since I had never heard of him. I asked about buying my youngest son lessons, he had just graduated and was just moving to town. My boy got lessons from Danny and joined a league and his level of play improved tremendously.

I do believe Danny has since moved to the west coast.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eastside Billiards is not a players room. It's the bottom of the NYC area pool rooms and I believe only the megabucks league is the only one out of there. It's not run down at all, it's just there. It is a bar/lounge first and foremost. I honestly can't even remember the last time I saw a tournament being held there.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
My daughter (non player) and her boyfriend (non player) loved Eastside Billiards and want to go back. I noticed that the room has been opened for almost 30 years so they must of found their niche. I will slide in there next time I am in town just to say I have been there.
Thanks for all the feedback and info.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This makes sense. I'm well past college age and I've never had anything but a great time and friendly interactions with the counter staff at Amsterdam. In fact, I usually tell them that I always come when I'm in town, shoot the breeze a bit, get some help finding someone to play, and tip the wait staff well. At the end of the night, I usually find that the table time hit isn't so bad (by NYC standards). They have also never tried to trap me--I tell them I'm a lower range APA 7/9 (true) and they point me to someone reasonable. The only drawback is that there aren't many one pocket players there. Even so, I'm a big fan of Amsterdam Billiards.

I only went to Society once, and I had a great time playing the house man, John -- nice guy and strong player. But I still prefer Amsterdam.

I'd never heard of Eastside, but it looks worth checking out if you're in northern Manhattan.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Speaking of non-player rooms I found a Bowling alley(Lucky Strike Manhattan) last time I was in town that had a decent amount of pool tables, Gold Crowns if memory serves me correctly.

This makes me wonder just how many pool tables are in this city?

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of non-player rooms I found a Bowling alley(Lucky Strike Manhattan) last time I was in town that had a decent amount of pool tables, Gold Crowns if memory serves me correctly.

This makes me wonder just how many pool tables are in this city?

Both Lucky Strike and Amsterdam Billiards are owned by the same gentleman.

There are even snooker tables to be found in Manhattan, at the venerable New York Athletic Club on Central Park South. However, to gain admittance it seems you have to be a real blue blood (or at least be friends with one).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The same thing happened to me. Amsterdam billiards sux.

On the contrary, this is part of why playing at Amsterdam is such a pleasure. Strangers can't walk in and walk through the playing area as if they were customers. The playing area is for players only, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This keeps both the bums and the hustlers (who, in some poolrooms, sit around hoping to ensnare an unsuspecting victim) out and ultimately enhances the pool playing experience you get there, because a patron's privacy isn't violated by strangers.

That said, if anyone walked in, said "I'm from out of town and have heard a lot about this poolroom and I'd love to take a look around" they would most definitely be welcomed to do so by the management who always adhere to the highest standards of professionalism.

Amsterdam, for my money, offers the best pool playing experience in Manhattan, NY, and maintaining decorum and protecting the privacy of its customers are two of the reasons for this.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah? Well, I disagree. Amsterdam billiards sux. It's too expensive, the staff were rude both times I visited... do they run any weekly tournaments? I don't think so. I don't get dressed up to go to the pool hall; I go to hit balls, unwind, and get in a little action if I can. That ain't Amsterdam billiards...too uppity for me.

On the contrary, this is part of why playing at Amsterdam is such a pleasure. Strangers can't walk in and walk through the playing area as if they were customers. The playing area is for players only, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This keeps both the bums and the hustlers (who, in some poolrooms, sit around hoping to ensnare an unsuspecting victim) out and ultimately enhances the pool playing experience you get there, because a patron's privacy isn't violated by strangers.

That said, if anyone walked in, said "I'm from out of town and have heard a lot about this poolroom and I'd love to take a look around" they would most definitely be welcomed to do so by the management who always adhere to the highest standards of professionalism.

Amsterdam, for my money, offers the best pool playing experience in Manhattan, NY, and maintaining decorum and protecting the privacy of its customers are two of the reasons for this.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yeah? Well, I disagree. Amsterdam billiards sux. It's too expensive, the staff were rude both times I visited... do they run any weekly tournaments? I don't think so. I don't get dressed up to go to the pool hall; I go to hit balls, unwind, and get in a little action if I can. That ain't Amsterdam billiards...too uppity for me.

Yes Amsterdam Billiards is not what I am used to either but I love it just the same. The place is packed when I have been there and I have seen many acquaintances the few times I have dropped in. There are top notch players and pros that hang there and it seems the place is run well.

In NYC area you have choices of where you play but Amsterdams is the big dog on the island.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Amsterdam have leagues 6 nights a week, with hundreds of players playing either Team 8-ball, Team 9-ball, Individual 9-ball/10-ball and 14.1 The 14.1 league that I played this past season had 94 players and already overflowed into two days. Having the room packed, I don't think they have the capacity to host a weekly tournament.

I've been playing at Amsterdam for over 10 years and never felt I had to dress up. Summer time I play in T-shirt, shorts and Birkenstocks. As SJM cited earlier, unlike other pool halls, I don't get guys walking through the door and trying to hustle while I play with a friend or just banging balls.

I've heard rumours that money changes hands in some of those chess matches at Steinway. Steinway has taken over the mantle of action spot from Masters. Usually the first stop of the filipinos or Taiwanese when they hit NYC. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable there.

QUOTE=pvc lou;6303743]Yeah? Well, I disagree. Amsterdam billiards sux. It's too expensive, the staff were rude both times I visited... do they run any weekly tournaments? I don't think so. I don't get dressed up to go to the pool hall; I go to hit balls, unwind, and get in a little action if I can. That ain't Amsterdam billiards...too uppity for me.[/QUOTE]

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwi6_-7889ffAhXowFQKHbAYCZMQoiowDnoECAUQBg

Anyone on the forum been there? I think I will check it out next time I am in town.

Yeah, I've been there a few times; I live on the other side of town from it.

It used to be better a bunch of years ago because you could find money games and there were some more serious players there. You might find a few decent players in there from time-to-time but I wouldn't expect a ton of action.

It's on 86th between Lex and 3rd on the north side of the street, 2nd floor. The prices are pretty good; pretty sure you can do like a $20 all day play. Bar has decent prices. In terms of food, they serve a toaster oven pizza that is actually not bad, but that's it.

They have a bunch of TVs in a wide open room that are usually airing some sporting event; football, hockey, baseball, etc. There's about 16+ GC tables that sit a bit low and the maintenance is OK at best.. one small bar table.. a ping pong table.. and skee-ball machine.

It can get pretty annoying on weekend evenings because you get a bunch of kids and nobodies coming out to mess around. Table #2 is nice because it's by the window (I like that), but it's not nice if there are people playing ping pong.

In general, this place isn't bad if you're in the area and you want to practice a little while during off hours.. like spending a Sunday afternoon there. But if you're looking for some competition with a bunch of pool players, this may not be the spot. There's a few talented people that come and go here, but it's not like Amsterdam, Society, or Steinway.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Yeah, I've been there a few times; I live on the other side of town from it.

It used to be better a bunch of years ago because you could find money games and there were some more serious players there. You might find a few decent players in there from time-to-time but I wouldn't expect a ton of action.

It's on 86th between Lex and 3rd on the north side of the street, 2nd floor. The prices are pretty good; pretty sure you can do like a $20 all day play. Bar has decent prices. In terms of food, they serve a toaster oven pizza that is actually not bad, but that's it.

They have a bunch of TVs in a wide open room that are usually airing some sporting event; football, hockey, baseball, etc. There's about 16+ GC tables that sit a bit low and the maintenance is OK at best.. one small bar table.. a ping pong table.. and skee-ball machine.

It can get pretty annoying on weekend evenings because you get a bunch of kids and nobodies coming out to mess around. Table #2 is nice because it's by the window (I like that), but it's not nice if there are people playing ping pong.

In general, this place isn't bad if you're in the area and you want to practice a little while during off hours.. like spending a Sunday afternoon there. But if you're looking for some competition with a bunch of pool players, this may not be the spot. There's a few talented people that come and go here, but it's not like Amsterdam, Society, or Steinway.

Dude you nailed it. My kid described it very much like you said. Eastside is close to where my daughter lives and she wants to get in to the game more. It seems perfect for practice.