Efren Reyes fluke 9 ball against Appleton 2012 US Open

puertorociii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Efren have to call the 9 though? If so he's got some balls going for that shot on a hill hill match. I agree though I think he went a little light on the celebration lol.

Sent from handheld iOS Device.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Unsportsmanlike?!?!

You guys are out of your mind.

Jump up and down, scream, laugh, whatever.
Efren did nothing wrong.

IF Efren lucked it in and then celebrated, SO WHAT?!?!?

Every single solitary person who signed up to play in the U.S. Open 9ball championships, knows full well that at ANY given time, someone can just take a power diarrhea all over them. If they don't like that fact, they shouldn't play.
And they sure as hell shouldn't complain about it.

It's a part of the game they journeyed from far and wide to play.
As such, Efren won it fair and square!

As far as i'm concerned, he didn't celebrate enough, and should have pooped in more shots!!!!!

What do you people want?!?!? For Efren to APOLOGIZE for winning instead of celebrating?!?!?!
GET A GRIP ALREADY!!!

Sargo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet, if someone , lets say Earl or Mike Dechaine would've done the same thing against Efren, then everyone would be ready to lynch them. Just because it's efren, doesn't give him the right to be so unsportsmanlike. that was just downright disrespectful and a disgrace to professional pool.

Aaaawwwwwww.......

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if you guys that think it was a disgrace, unsportsmanlike, ect, think the same thing about football, baseball, or basketball players celebrating when they win a game??

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if you guys that think it was a disgrace, unsportsmanlike, ect, think the same thing about football, baseball, or basketball players celebrating when they win a game??

I don't think it's bad sportsmanship at all. The only "iffy" thing about Efren's celebration, is that he did it before (and in lieu of) first shaking hands with his opponent, which is relatively minor.

What I do think is bad sportsmanship, though, is that after the match and after the commentators left the booth, the mics were left on, and one could plainly hear Darren having a chat with Jim Wych (the were nearby, and with the fact that folks had left the arena, things were quiet, so they could be heard quite easily), and Darren was b*tching about Efren's celebration without shaking his hand first.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=3830518#post3830518

That's pretty poor, in my book.
-Sean

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, what silliness.

Efren absolutely did nothing wrong here.

Why do folks think this was a fluke? He is not called the magician for no reason. lol. Has Efren said it was a fluke?

I could imagine him standing at that side pocket saying "Come to papa baby" :smile:

Banks

Banned

I wonder how well it would go over in football if they have to call the receiver. So much for the Hail Mary! What if they had to call their hits in baseball? Lots and lots of matches have passed through the US Open and people get up in arms over this shot and the reaction. They're all big boys, if they don't like the rules of the game they've been playing for decades, well.. maybe ABP can boycott those, too. :rolleyes: Nobody's complaining about the bad racks he got! Ha! :D

At least he didn't pee in the pockets! :eek:

Riggers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, what silliness.

Efren absolutely did nothing wrong here.

Why do folks think this was a fluke? He is not called the magician for no reason. lol. Has Efren said it was a fluke?

I could imagine him standing at that side pocket saying "Come to papa baby" :smile:
Are you joking? Either that or you didn't see it or you are completely clueless about pool lol. Efren went for the 4 in the corner. Crazy comments in this forum lol.

Daz is one of the most respectful and honest players EVER to play the game.

I love Efren to bits and don't have a major problem with his celebration. If all the Daz fans are honest it's not the celebration thats the problem... its how sick we feel after a tight match was settled by such a crazy fluke.

I think it's more of an English thing that you humbly apologise first and celebrate second but, like I say, Efren's not english and I still love the guy and if Daz wasn't playing I'm sure most of us would want the Magician to win.

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, this is 9-ball. When you get stuck, hit it hard and hope for the best.

This is why I hate 9-ball...this is the kind of thing that drove Jean Balukus into retirement.

Call every shot...roll out on every shot...alternate breaks...

Appleton should switch to 14.1 if he wants to play a gentleman's game of skill.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one complained when Busty went absolutely nuts when he "lucked" the nine in on the break to win his world championship.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I cant see why people calling the celebration not gentleman-like. The only thing I see is that a 58yo after 40+ years in the sport still have the desire and excitement. It is a hill-hill match and no one won undeserved. It showed how hard Efren has been through in the match and also showed the appreciation towards a world class opponent. If one wins a match and just leave an indifferent smile, that is belittling the opponent.

Luck is part of the game, 9-ball is played like that for decades and still there are calls for call-shots in 9-ball? We have call shots for 10-ball already and different championships for that also.

Can you say that you fluke the 9 when score is hill-hill and you just walk off with our feelings buried inside? That is truly mean.

I played in the local amateur tournament last week against the reigning champion, i pushed him to hill-hill and he nearly exploded when getting the 9 (no fluke), when admitted to me he got lucky in some safeties. That was when I felt I was recognised as a worthy opponent.

PC_John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naw. I ain't jokin. lol. I am certainly not an expert but if I was looking to hit the four then I believe I would see that it just might contact the 9 and send it to the side. :wink:

I do believe it is silly to act like Efren did something wrong, especially after the way Darren acted in the video. I think throwing your cue and jumping around on the table is way out of line for a pro. :frown:

There is a certain amount of luck in every sport that I know of including the game of life. :smile:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I just rewatched the shot and i can say if the game required call pocket, Efren would call the 9 in the side pocket, no difference.

The 4-9 was lined up towards the side pocket, and he intended to kick one rail into the 4 nd make the 9 in the side pocket. The speed of the shot showed that. He dared to make that make-or-break shot and you pros tell me what is the success rate? HE DARED THAT SHOT. That was his imagination, an unique asset that set him above all other players.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Efren is the best of all time. As I can only say in his words..."He got lucky!"

Congrats to my hero, idol, and the best (luckiest) of all time!