Elephant Ear Wrap question ?

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is Elephant Ear Wrap so expensive ?

A fellow at the pool hall said it's because Elephants are an endangered species and that it was probably poached.

I sure hope it wasn't poached.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Thanks - Tommyd1

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member

A fellow at the pool hall said it's because Elephants are an endangered species and that it was probably poached.

Thanks - Tommyd1

LOL, the resident know-it-all, every room has one, and he is always WRONG>

To answer your first question, genuine Elephant EAR is so expensive because there is not much around compared to the rest of the Elephant's hide. It splits to .028 or less without any holes in the hide. This makes it the most sought after part of the Elephant for wraps. Most wraps you see advertised as Ear are not, just a smooth part of the hide. Once the wrap is on the cue, there is not too many ways to tell the difference, the installer can cover up any flaws that you see in regular hide. You have to know Ear, the feel and look, to tell what you have on your cue.

The poaching statement is bogus, you can buy legally harvested Elephant hide from any number of leather suppliers here in the U.S.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member

Thanks - Tommyd1

All the ears I have dealt with are legal as maple. Although the elephant is a protected species some places still harvest to cull the herds and help eliminate disease to help keep the species strong.
If the ears aren't tagged there may be a good chance they may have been taken illegally but any I have ever dealt with have all been tagged, serial numbered and purchased from a reputable supplier .
Very simple.........price = supply of quality material available. You can't get them at Walmart............yet!

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my wrap done by Steve Lomax, he shares a booth with Joe Blackburn.

I've known them both for a few years and have alway's liked their work they've done for me.

Steve said the Elephant Ear wrap would never wear out, is that true ?

I actually wanted Kenny ( Flying Snail ) to do the wrap, but I guess I was impatient. I think Kenny would have probably had a better quality wrap.

I like the feel of the wrap, just have to get used to the looks of it on my cue. I think it actually looked better with the Linen wrap but it kept coming up on me, I had to wax it every night.

Attachments

• Picture 827.jpg
    Picture 827.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Picture 810.jpg
    Picture 810.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 265

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Elephant Ear wrap would never wear out, is that true ?

Never is a long time.... but.....they are pretty darn durable. I've had mine on my cue for 3-4 years and it looks like the day I installed. I don't play 4-5 hour sessions every day though either.
I love the feel of mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kenny would be an excellent choice to have install one. (am I allowed to say that?)

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never is a long time.... but.....they are pretty darn durable. I've had mine on my cue for 3-4 years and it looks like the day I installed. I don't play 4-5 hour sessions every day though either.
I love the feel of mine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Kenny would be an excellent choice to have install one. (am I allowed to say that?)

Seems to last the elephant a lifetime :grin-square: