ESPN World Billiard Championships starring Earl, Jeanette, Vivian, a "Has Been"

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
the ESPN SHOWS were responsible for thousands of new players on a monthly basis

I too was one of the "10 million" that was watching these mid to late 90s ESPN events and was drawn into the game. I started playing pool seriously around then and I think that had a lot to do with it. It seems like pool used to be on all the time even on random afternoons I would come home from school and there would be these weird pro-am matches on with pool players playing with cheerleaders or something. Now it seems pool in any form or fashion is never on the "worldwide leader" and we're all wondering why, but here is something that has yet to be discussed in this thread that is important, the ESPN brand has changed drastically within the last 10-15 years.

In the mid to late 90s and even the early 00s ESPN was open to showing a lot of live sports and particuarly non-traditional sports and auto racing either on their main station or on ESPN 2 especially. This is definitely no longer the case. The ESPN brand on both networks has sadly shifted to an opinion, arguing, and "embrace debate" mentality that makes it almost unwatchable to a lot of sports fans but draws in those attracted to the TMZ element. A lot of stuff they used to show has be severly demphasized or eliminated and not just pool. I think getting it back on at the level we used to see would be difficult. However, there are several upstart competitors to ESPN smelling blood in the water (NBC Sports Network and the soon to be created FOX Sports 1) that might be a good place to get pool on tv if there was actually a single organization that could represent the sport and negotiate.

Yes, there's no reason ESPN has to be used, the main point is to have an avenue to reach the general public with the game.

"Out of Sight, out of Mind" is what's happened to pool in the last 12 years from what I can see. The streaming video stuff is good for the "hard core fans" but does little to introduce fresh faces into the sport/game.

These ESPN Shows were huge commercials for the game, and yes, they could have been better in a variety of ways, however they were EFFECTIVE. Without a doubt the ESPN SHOWS were responsible for thousands of new players on a monthly, even weekly basis in the United States.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
we MUST have a presence on TV for this game/sport to get back on it's 4 legs.

Excellent.
Thanks for sharing this.

You're welcome, I believe if we put events like this on TV instead of putting on Pro Tournaments with no TV exposure the whole industy would benifit.

Where would the money come to buy the air time and cover production costs?

A pro tournament with 100 players cost each player an average of $1500. for entree fees, travel expenses, accommodations, etc. that's $150,000.

For $150,000 we could produce 6 shows (in a barter deal), pay for a "non prime" time slot and put it on for 3 months and the Major Network would repeat each show 3 times....this is at least 18 airings and maybe more if the product/broadcast is good.

Which would do more for the future (and present) of the game, one pro tournament that a few thousand "pool fans" see or 18 pool shows that go out to a Million Plus "general public viewers". We have the solution and it's not "reinventing the wheel".....we MUST have a presence on TV for this game/sport to get back on it's 4 legs. :wink:

I know we can't get the 100 players to chip in on this, I'm just making a point that the money IS HERE to make a difference. It Just Needs to be Reallocated.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
You're welcome, I believe if we put events like this on TV instead of putting on Pro Tournaments with no TV exposure the whole industy would benifit.

I enjoyed the view. Just don't like the going back and forth between tables. One match would have been better to concentrate on, and then at the end, the man and woman played. But, exciting exhibition type matches seemed to be very popular in the 30s-60s. I think they would do well on tv now as well. As a matter of fact, the Mosconi vs Fats exhibition match is the most watched billiards event of all time. And was the 2nd most watch sporting event (of all sports) of that year.

Wished I would have had DVR back when all the good matches were on ESPN (80s etc...) lol...

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
If we had kept this event on ESPN all these years we would have hundreds of .........

I enjoyed the view. Just don't like the going back and forth between tables. One match would have been better to concentrate on, and then at the end, the man and woman played. But, exciting exhibition type matches seemed to be very popular in the 30s-60s. I think they would do well on tv now as well. As a matter of fact, the Mosconi vs Fats exhibition match is the most watched billiards event of all time. And was the 2nd most watch sporting event (of all sports) of that year.

Wished I would have had DVR back when all the good matches were on ESPN (80s etc...) lol...

Yes, I agree, the two table format is not good for those of us that follow the game. The point that I make showing this ESPN format is it's not for "hard core pool fans," it's for the general public. For the most part only a small percentage these days will watch pool no matter what because Pool has no "momentum". These matches weren't ideal, but they did generate momentum because they played them several times a week at different times.

This was a HUGE commercial for the game of pool with a variety of the stars of the times playing for a LOT of money and the key element.....Everybody got paid for their efforts so it created so much good will with the players.

You will see Earl laughing and joking and clapping for his opponent. This seems odd not, but if we wore Earl's shoes for a few years we may not be clapping either. Every tournament Earl enters he's got a 1 in 7 chance of winning any money. This burden would wear heavy on even the strongest of people, as a matter of fact I don't know anyone else that has done it......except in pool. You gotta admit, this takes a lot of determination to try, but in the end the odds are stacked way to high against the player......and they fall.

If we had kept this event on ESPN all these years we would have hundreds of thousands more people playing pool and seeing billiards as a viable entertainment option.....right now, it's "out of sight, out of mind". 'The Game is the Teacher' .com

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ask any player that's played on LIVE TV and they'll tell you it's whole other level

I loved it when before the final match, Alan Hopkins said "I KNOW who's going to win!"

Earl vs, C.J. was a thrillah. Too bad they kept cutting to the women's table..:rolleyes:

Yes, the two table format isn't ideal, however it did a lot more for pool than we "real eyesed" back then. The ratings showed an average viewership of over ONE MILLION viewers on ESPN. They basically used it for "filler" which bothered some of the "pool world" because they would put it in all different time slots. I liked it becuase we eventually hit a larger overall audience.

The "same time, same day" schedule is better because you can build a loyal audience, but for pure exposure being "filler" for ESPN is great for the promotion of the game to the general public.

I"m trying to remember if the 'Battle of the Sexes' was LIVE or not. I played in two LIVE ESPN Broadcasts, and I'm not sure which ones right now. The LIVE ones were nerve racking because you were really "out there" for all to see, and you better be "zipped up" and ready at all times. Ask any player that's played on LIVE TV and they'll tell you it's whole other level of pressure. That's what makes it exciting, I miss the pressure and atmosphere of televised tournaments, they seemed to have a life of their own, and it was "Larger Than Life".

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
You will see Earl laughing and joking and clapping for his opponent.

Yes this style was great for tv (other than getting dizzy switching tables as pointed out). I liked the fact they had a commentator out with the audience/other players, and they were all into it. Kinda reminds me of European crowds during Mosconi Cup, how into it they are. And it seemed fun, instead of robots playing tourneys. Even you were laughing, even with what 40-60K on the line there at the end lol... That's why people crowded around Mike Sigel, Earl, etc... back then, they talked to the audience and did not take things way to seriously... Crowds ate that up with M Fats as well. He was not the greatest pool player by far, but he may have been one of the greatest for pool...

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's not something that's natural, it wasn't even natural for "FATS", he developed it

flyvirginiaguy;4183908[B said:
]Yes this style was great for tv [/B](other than getting dizzy switching tables as pointed out). I liked the fact they had a commentator out with the audience/other players, and they were all into it. Kinda reminds me of European crowds during Mosconi Cup, how into it they are. And it seemed fun, instead of robots playing tourneys. Even you were laughing, even with what 40-60K on the line there at the end lol... That's why people crowded around Mike Sigel, Earl, etc... back then, they talked to the audience and did not take things way to seriously... Crowds ate that up with M Fats as well. He was not the greatest pool player by far, but he may have been one of the greatest for pool...

Yes, those are great observations, and I agree 100%.

One of the most challenging things I was working on during those times was my ability to "switch on the competitive mode," to shifting into the "showmanship mode" so I could interact and have fun with the audience.

This was something I had to practice because I wasn't use to doing it and it's difficult at first. The tow "mind sets" are quite different, however, like with anything else it just takes dedicated practice. I worked with people that were watching me play and carried on a conversation with them and even told jokes while I played to learn how to develop this skill.

The key to creating a great Pool oriented TV Show is the Character Development and I intend on using some professionals in the future to train myself and other professionals to "find their most entertaining character".....like in the movies and TV this quality is developed, it's not something that's natural, it wasn't even natural for "FATS", he developed it as well. 'The Game is the Teacher' .com

59731_635949569764416_920397567_n.jpg

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro Pool scene was different at this time. We were ALL getting paid

The wildest part of the video is earl actually applauding good shots and seeming happy go lucky and cordial... Good video thanks for sharing

Yes, Earl was very cordial, however, the Pro Pool scene was different at this time. We were ALL getting paid to play, not the other way around.

Something changed in the past few years to that scenario.....something "unusual". :confused:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Earl was very cordial, however, the Pro Pool scene was different at this time. We were ALL getting paid to play, not the other way around.

Something changed in the past few years to that scenario.....something "unusual". :confused:

You are right about that!!! Things did change. :(
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, those are great observations, and I agree 100%.

One of the most challenging things I was working on during those times was my ability to "switch on the competitive mode," to shifting into the "showmanship mode" so I could interact and have fun with the audience.

This was something I had to practice because I wasn't use to doing it and it's difficult at first. The tow "mind sets" are quite different, however, like with anything else it just takes dedicated practice. I worked with people that were watching me play and carried on a conversation with them and even told jokes while I played to learn how to develop this skill.

The key to creating a great Pool oriented TV Show is the Character Development and I intend on using some professionals in the future to train myself and other professionals to "find their most entertaining character".....like in the movies and TV this quality is developed, it's not something that's natural, it wasn't even natural for "FATS", he developed it as well. 'The Game is the Teacher' .com

59731_635949569764416_920397567_n.jpg

I see who has the trophy in their hands. Not Efren! :thumbup:
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Battle of the Sexes" was a lot of fun and ESPN promoted it extensively

Thanks for posting this C.J. I watched all 8 episodes. It sure does make one wonder why pool can't once again rise to this level. Loved the battle of the sexes hype...

Yes, the "Battle of the Sexes" was a lot of fun and ESPN promoted it extensively leading up to the tournament.

Here's the Link if anyone want to see it on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9m-QjCcfpc

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Consistent Luck is a Skill"

I say the same thing some times. I got lucky. I can't make a ball is another one I use.
Mr. CJ is the teacher! Of the game.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

"Consistent Luck is a Skill" LNL

Enjoy Your Day

"What we need to know about the past is that no matter what has happened, it has all worked together to bring us to this very moment. And this is the moment you can choose to make everything new, right now". - Unknown Author