Evan Clarke with Segen Cues

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never seen anyone store their cues resting with weight on the pins...doesn't look like their could be any benefits to it. Just my 2 cents.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have never seen anyone store their cues resting with weight on the pins...doesn't look like their could be any benefits to it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree that is an unusual way to store them between operations, but if it caused any harmful stress on the cue or joint I do not think I would interested in owning one regardless of how they were stored.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I agree that is an unusual way to store them between operations, but if it caused any harmful stress on the cue or joint I do not think I would interested in owning one regardless of how they were stored.

I would never rest cues like that for the simple fact that if someone or something falls into them you could blow out the joint...

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
A better German name would be Langweilig.

If you mean in the designs, I agree. Lol. At least they will be playable, I trust Evan Clarke on that. But what can you really do in designs that are different than anything else. I am in the mindset of go simple and classic, four point and Merry Widows, prove that they can play and start a following and than incorporate other designs. That sounds pretty boring as well, but 90% of pool players I see have exactly that, simple designs. That's why I think sugar tree is so sought after, I haven't seen a cue with an inlay out of him yet. Those designs in the picture look like players cues or McDermott.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue's will probably be more like the Schon LTD , Elite and Unique's with options for the buyer. Runde era Schon's were the best, newer cue's with the rounded points are close but the designs are ok just not spectacular (at least they aren't hideous like Meucci or Lucasi).

Please no more overpriced lizard wrapped jobbers.. :barf:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looking at the pictures they look just like a lot of old stale designs.
I really wanted to see something fresh and new that would knock my socks off.
but not so far.

Basic cnc designs with basic woods. So much hype for so much nothing. Gonna have to play better than anything else to gain a market share.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny I was talking to Bob Runde this week and he asked about Evan

Asked what he would be doing,
He referred to Evan as a genius at the business

We got a bunch of guys here with no feed back,and the best experience they can claim for themselves is maybe screwing a two piece cue together and they want to criticize the guy

I guess this is why some of the best cue makers in the world refuse to post here,they tell me
people on here don;t know what they are talking about

Just saying

Rivhardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We got a bunch of guys here with no feed back,and the best experience they can claim for themselves is maybe screwing a two piece cue together and they want to criticize the guy

I guess this is why some of the best cue makers in the world refuse to post here,they tell me

Just saying

Worth repeating...turning into a bashing thread, sad indeed...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just saying

I know boring cues when I see them.
I just don't suck up to every cue maker that posts on here like a lot of people do.
I don't care if they ever post here or make another cue.
Good luck to Evan in his new endeavor.I wish him well. I also wish he would come up with some smoking designs.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just saying

People on the Internet seem to lose their tact and manners. If you don't like something, that's fine, don't say anything or just say they're not your style. No need to be insulting. Cue making is rarely about new designs, it's mostly interpreting classic styles because that is what people like. If you want something new, then there are a few cue makers doing that but to expect that from a new company is rediculous. Frankly most of the new and unique designs I see are just plain ugly in my book, I just don't go about insulting them on other peoples threads because it would be rude and unnecessary.

I like the designs but I'm mostly interested in the hit and playability. I'm looking forward to trying them as I have a feeling they'll be really good playing cues, knowing Evan's history.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why should evan use mitred points?
Ernie doesn't,Billy Stroud didn;t at the end,Libra cues
by Jackpot here on AZ didn't

Runde didn;t when he started his own after leaving schon
He does now,but freely admits it does not affect the play

Now,I am as old school as you can get,I like sharp points because that is what they looked like when i was a kid

I like them because they take longer to do and are what collectors of expensive cues like.
They represent craftsmanship,attention to detail and aesthetic stuff,conjures up images of
Gus or George with a razor blade ,candle light,and magnifying glass.
Handed down from father to son,I love Barry and his cues,Mottey,White.Rauenzahn,
Timmy and Mike,and Jerry and Laurie

I like their tradition,but the fact of the matter is that it has nothing to do with the playability or
the structural integrity

I stood beside Jerry Franklin in Dallas and watched him review a batch of Schons,
you wanna know what he said.

Why would anybody buy anything else,how do they do it so cheap?

Jack Potter,a friend of mine who actually bought the last Balabushka shipped,and 1 of the last batch of Gus ) says I prefer the cnc points,
He prefers the construction,the exactness etc

Sharp points are kinda like fins on a 57 chevy,or 59 Cadillac,They represent the best of a certain time,I am part of that time i still like em,i like sharp points and inlays,I would not buy a cue for $2000
without them both

But If i had a huge game of pool,I would take my schon and not think twice about it. Wait you sayWhat about your Larry Vigas you so lavishly praised?

I sold it,true Larry is making me another one,I did play a little better than I ever had,but in the meantime I
picked up a schon and I love it

Round points is an attempt to knock a great product with emotive language.sounds bad doesn't it?

Makes people feel good about knocking a great scientifically perfected
procedure that just might be an advance.Whether it is or not I am sick of hearing
no playing,no feedback,no buying Know it Alls

Meanwhile one of the greatest minds the pool world has ever known is
making something new that is going to make you same guys play with his cues

And if they don't play better than a schon,if they are no better quality than a schon
welcome to the club.

There is nothing better according to some of the best players who ever played

Last edited:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What interests me is Evan is using high quality Michigan maple and other quality cue parts with limited production versus a huge volume of cues. I heard there will be sharp pointed and cnc pointed cues. It won't be long before the first group of cues leave the shop. Reviews on playability and build quality will follow. For sure there isn't one type of cue that appeals to everyone.

People on the Internet seem to lose their tact and manners. If you don't like something, that's fine, don't say anything or just say they're not your style. No need to be insulting. Cue making is rarely about new designs, it's mostly interpreting classic styles because that is what people like. If you want something new, then there are a few cue makers doing that but to expect that from a new company is rediculous. Frankly most of the new and unique designs I see are just plain ugly in my book, I just don't go about insulting them on other peoples threads because it would be rude and unnecessary.

I like the designs but I'm mostly interested in the hit and playability. I'm looking forward to trying them as I have a feeling they'll be really good playing cues, knowing Evan's history.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It obvious that Evan's cues are referred to differently than when Bob Runde co-owned Schon. Those cues many of us like to refer to as Runde Schons and as deanoc pointed out, the sharp points do not improve play in the slightest. Cues that Evan made are simply referred to as Schon cues which seems a little unfair since Evan did one helluva job making Schon cues.

Personally, I think Evan Clarke is a great cue-maker in disguise.......I say that because he never received the acclaim he deserves while at Schon, at least not in my opinion. Perhaps now he will receive the attention that other heralded cue-makers get when you see their cues posted in the Cue Gallery. When was the last time you saw a Schon cue posted there and receive pages of posts praising the workmanship and play?

I'm strictly old scholl when it comes to cue designs and I wouldn't hesitate to order such a cue from Evan Clarke whom I think could be a strong candidate for the most under-rated cue-maker of this century.

Matt B.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt is always a pleasure to read

knowledgeable,kind and insightful

He prefers to buy old school,and knows why

best wishes

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It obvious that Evan's cues are referred to differently than when Bob Runde co-owned Schon. Those cues many of us like to refer to as Runde Schons and as deanoc pointed out, the sharp points do not improve play in the slightest. Cues that Evan made are simply referred to as Schon cues which seems a little unfair since Evan did one helluva job making Schon cues.

Personally, I think Evan Clarke is a great cue-maker in disguise.......I say that because he never received the acclaim he deserves while at Schon, at least not in my opinion. Perhaps now he will receive the attention that other heralded cue-makers get when you see their cues posted in the Cue Gallery. When was the last time you saw a Schon cue posted there and receive pages of posts praising the workmanship and play?

I'm strictly old scholl when it comes to cue designs and I wouldn't hesitate to order such a cue from Evan Clarke whom I think could be a strong candidate for the most under-rated cue-maker of this century.

Matt B.

Well stated, and I agree! :thumbup:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
after reading a few replies, this shouldn't become a thrashing thread they

are right. truth of the matter is that schon has been from the go one of the best

playing cues you can buy, custom or production. runde or clarke. you can check

many of my replies in threads concerning other cues that I always say go schon

before anything else. I never understood the cnc rounded points debate, the round

points on some cues look good, my favorite of all time is the joss in the color of

money, which ironically made another cue maker famous bc his name was said

instead of the company that actually made it. either way, clarke is one of the best

cue makers out there, he never brought schon to the ground, they are still bought

bc I see some of the best pool players in the country using schons. almost

exclusively. I never see the best player in the room with a 3 thousand dollar ivory

and diamond encrusted monstrosity shooting real pool, those are used by home

players with their own table or bought by people who like buying and collecting

cues. the only people that should be thrashed are them bc they are the one's that

shit on honest cue makers trying to make a buck or production companies who

actually create jobs for others. some cues are artwork, on that we agree, but all it

ever will be is a piece of wood that hits round balls, some cues stand the test of time

and make that action of hitting balls more comfortable than others. I'm fairly confident they will be really good playing

cues, and if they are than evan should get the respect he never got. But I can;t

really put forward an honest critique on anything or anyone, bc the most expensive

cues Ive owned were schon, a nitti sneaky and a klapp four pointer with no

veneers, and my current cue I paid $225 with an LD shaft I paid $75 for, a Rat

sneaky. great playing cue. $300 total.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know Evan personally but he gave me great customer service once on a Schon shaft. I'm sure Segen cues will be solid cues.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have not done business with Evan Clarke yet. I do own a Schon made during his period with them. I did speak to Evan over the phone about a custom cue when he was with Schon. He is great at customer service. Since he is basically in my backyard, about 45 minutes away, I will most definitely make it a point to visit him soon at Segen, I am guessing I will have a Segen cue in my cue rack in the near future regardless of the pointyness of the points. :grin-square:

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned an an Evan Clarke Schön which I absolutely loved. That cue hit as well as any cue I've owned. I'm sure these will be no different and will be embraced by people who want them for what they're meant for- to play. The designs aren't for me, but they are good-looking cues.

Aesthetically I go for classics. I like four sharp points, four veneers and MoP dots and slotted diamonds. I like craftsmanship with subtle design. Class > Flash. Every single time.

Here's the Schön I owned. It was actually quite pretty.

9774695966_31aa9f3383_b.jpg

Last edited:

Rivhardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open for business

Evan has six models right now and probably will have 15 or 20 in the next 2 weeks. There will be Youtube videos on his website posted soon. He gladly welcomes visitors. Check out his shop. I am going to have a custom cue made with an old school look and will work out the details the next time I am in Milwaukee. Can't wait!

Here is his card...feel free to give him a call.