Ever Break A Cue In Frustration?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ala Earl Strickland? Not me, I'm too "cheap" for that sort of senselessness. It's always poor form.

Nope but I've had at least three (maybe more) opponents break their cue after playing me.

Freddie <~~~ frustrate them with the banger stroke

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ala Earl Strickland? Not me, I'm too "cheap" for that sort of senselessness. It's always poor form.

I broke a lot of cues, I used to be a nut. I broke a Szamboti that according to Gus was the most involved cue he had ever created. I was an 8 point cue similar to a Gina I had at the time. I once after breaking my personal cue later in the same session broke a house cue at which point I was thrown out of the pool room.

I should add, although I have broken many cues the Szamboti had nothing to do with a pool game, I just had it in my hands at the time.

Last edited:

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Original Joss

My first custom cue was a Joss before the split up. Early seventies I think.

Missed an easy shot and slammed the butt straight down to the floor. A very common reaction. That cue had an ivory butt cap that split and half of it sailed across the floor.

A very expensive repair for me at the time. Never broke one since.

If I ever see that cue again, I'm gonna re-acquire it!

Brandon B.

Registered
I have not but have seen friends do it. Here are a couple of instances. My friend was playing in a tournament, and lost pretty bad. He was upset with the cue stick so he just took it and snapped it over his knee. Granted it was a steve mizerak cue bought from sports authority so he didn't care for it too much. Second time not the same guy, we were playing nine ball and he missed a relative easy nine...and he swung the cue but didn't notice another player shooting so he swung the cue stick right onto his back and broke it in two. My friend got lucky because the other guy, had a right to stick him in the face but didn't considering we were on university property. And third, friend again different guy, just happen to drop the cue snapping in two, and the guy who the cue belong to, literally lifted the pool table (oversize 9 footer AMF table) and threw one corner of it 5-7 feet in anger.Craziness.

tenzip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never done it myself, best one I ever saw though, was a guy in leagues, missed a 15 inch total shot at a ball in hand 8-ball, reversed the cue, grabbed it by the shaft just short of the joint, and did a "stop swing" like you see a baseball player do to try not to swing the bat past 1st base, the joint snapped, the butt went flying across the room and smacked the wall about 35-40 feet away. Luckily, we were the only team back there at the time.

I once exploded a piece of chalk against a cinder block wall, but that's the extent of my (intentional) damage to equipment.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In frustration, I will sometimes hold my cue in the air, and raise my knee, like I'm going to break the cue over my knee, but then I stop myself at the last second before the cue hits my knee. (too cheap to follow through)

Regarding a wife telling me she wanted a divorce while I was playing pool (never happened to me), but I would just keep playing..... :woot:

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I broke a lot of cues, I used to be a nut. I broke a Szamboti that according to Gus was the most involved cue he had ever created. I was an 8 point cue similar to a Gina I had at the time. I once after breaking my personal cue later in the same session broke a house cue at which point I was thrown out of the pool room.

I should add, although I have broken many cues the Szamboti had nothing to do with a pool game, I just had it in my hands at the time.

Whoa! and you have a hand gun in your avatar :eek:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Played

over 50 years, and have never damaged a table or broke a cue. I did once though, when breaking the balls, cracked a ferrule into two pieces.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
i see break cues in all the catalogues and for sale online, so a lot of people must do.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fred...This is probably what Whitewolf would do, after you beat him like a drum (relating to another thread)! LOL :D Sorry we didn't get to meet up this time. See you next month in Vegas!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Nope but I've had at least three (maybe more) opponents break their cue after playing me.

Freddie <~~~ frustrate them with the banger stroke

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Never broken one in frustration, but I did take apart a Lucasi with a cinder block once, just to see what it looked like inside.

King Hester

Sharp Shooter
Silver Member
I subbed for a team playing a 8 ball league. They were the worst team and we were playing the top team. The top team thought it was going to be a cake walk. After I went 4-0 and we won the night, their best player "tried" to break his cue. He grabbed the butt end and slammed it on the floor 4 times and it won't break. That made him more angry that he couldn't break the cue so he grabbed his case and left.

I've seen many cues broken, none by me.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've definitely felt like doing it a few times, but each time a split-second later got a grip on myself. Frankly, despite any urge to snap my cue, or even launch it, I just don't want to be "That Guy"...

The guy who sharks the whole pool hall making a scene... The guy that everybody looks at, shakes their head, and thinks "ugh, this guy is like 5 years old"... The guy that accidentially hit somebody else in the eye with a shard of his broken cue shaft when it snapped and blew apart.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue, golf club, tennis racket ...... Seen 'em all on many occasions. Never did one myself. Oh okay, maybe a golf club......

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy-Sh-t,I use to break so many cues,God only knows how many
trees I've went threw.I knew it was to many when I started getting
hate mail from David Suzuki.:eek:

Pangit

Banned
I've definitely felt like doing it a few times, but each time a split-second later got a grip on myself. Frankly, despite any urge to snap my cue, or even launch it, I just don't want to be "That Guy"...

The guy who sharks the whole pool hall making a scene... The guy that everybody looks at, shakes their head, and thinks "ugh, this guy is like 5 years old"... The guy that accidentially hit somebody else in the eye with a shard of his broken cue shaft when it snapped and blew apart.

Me too, what's the old saying, "a craftsman never blames his tools". It's not the cue's fault.

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I haven't, strictly cause I'm too cheap, but, I did see Eddie Taylor break
one clean in half (below the joint) in the late 60's. Not sure, but, I seem to recall that it was a Paradise.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've held mine in my hands, gripped in a manner used to break it, but would never actually do it. I just hold it there for a second, saying "grrrr" to myself, and then move on.

I do occasionally smack the palm of my hand with the cue, not too hard, just the motion of it... for effect, I suppose.

chris2669

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Szam for the most money. I think that leads the way right now. Just wow is all I can say.