Experiments in looking at the cueball while delivering the stroke.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The eye pattern is not the only factor to consider. The size of the fight in the dog could be the deciding factor that leads to cueball control in the end.
Just because the poster child for object ball last has been defeated by a cueball last player doesn't mean superior ority, just equality.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The eye pattern is not the only factor to consider. The size of the fight in the dog could be the deciding factor that leads to cueball control in the end.
Just because the poster child for object ball last has been defeated by a cueball last player doesn't mean superior ority, just equality.
I would add that the mix of shots as well as strategy either type of player might present would almost certainly differ by the plusses and minuses of the respective sighting types.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidently - I was playing a friendly match yesterday and on 2 separate occasions I missed very easy shots. On both occasions, i was trying to bring the cue ball back into a very tight spot, and caught myself looking at the cueball while shooting on both occasions. Thinking back, I have many occasions where is catch myself wanting to see where the cue ball is going before the stroke is complete, usually leading to great position and a missed shot :)

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Coincidently - I was playing a friendly match yesterday and on 2 separate occasions I missed very easy shots. On both occasions, i was trying to bring the cue ball back into a very tight spot, and caught myself looking at the cueball while shooting on both occasions. Thinking back, I have many occasions where is catch myself wanting to see where the cue ball is going before the stroke is complete, usually leading to great position and a missed shot :)
When my mind gets ahead of the action is my favorite miss.(Not realy)
At the Championship level .........it happens. Just not as often....🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Monday May 1, 2023:
The Production of the Snooker World Championship has made knowledge available. A contest that pays half a million pounds to The Victor.($625,000)
The coverage of the entire contest would have value in the range of college tuition. Could be had for $25. Hmmmmmm
With the video and commentary teams producing a true World Class Production. Not to slight the incredible World Championship Finals. Just an incredible performance by the 2 Best.
All that's left for me to say is 🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
OK the after word. I have contemplated the early success I had on the pool table looking object ball last. I attribute it to my football training. No really! As the rookie center my training included the long snap to the punter. A pass between my legs and upside down. I got pretty good at it looking at my target. Then Coach saw me.....NO! You can't do it that way. The rules at that time allowing for a blow to my head before I got it back up. So I learned to do it looking into the eyes of the middle guard. It was so much easier the first way.
Looking at the precise interaction of the tip and ball making precision results uh, more common.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your precision. 😉
The reminder is.....if you just jump to that spot, you are missing lots of good stuff. 🤷
Yup; it was interesting hearing Thornburn. I wonder if he bent at both knees in his prime. I read he played some pool, at least in his youth.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just posted this over in greg's Practice, Practice, Practice thread , so might as well touch all the bases, eh;

hank

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just posted this over in greg's Practice, Practice, Practice thread , so might as well touch all the bases, eh;

hank
Good stuff! Interesting that he addressed the timing in the pattern of the eyes.
I have noticed, well think I have seen variations in the timing of various snooker players that appear to be cueball last. He also points out a fact that Mark Williams proves with his eyes closed or looking away.
👍

George the Greek

Yup; it was interesting hearing Thornburn. I wonder if he bent at both knees in his prime. I read he played some pool, at least in his youth.
He apparently picked tobacco at one time. Cliff has a good sense of humor and would play for $5/ game. I got the opportunity to play 3 games with him when he got home just after winning the world championship.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Cliff said:
It's amazing that in the last 2 months.... I wish that I had known that, when I first came here...
At least I am not thinking about it.
Speaks to his admiration of Stephen's ability and accomplishments. Stephen humbly opines that it might not be something that can be changed. Well I know it can. Not easily though. Of course if it was easy little girls and grandmas would be doing it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
He apparently picked tobacco at one time. Cliff has a good sense of humor and would play for $5/ game. I got the opportunity to play 3 games with him when he got home just after winning the world championship.
That's so cool. Did you ever encounter Brady Golan?
His relation of the Road Warriors hit a note with me. The new equipment and 2 games to get up to speed. Well it took me a little longer. 😉 The good part was.....that only set the hook even deeper. 🤷

George the Greek

That's so cool. Did you ever encounter Brady Golan?
His relation of the Road Warriors hit a note with me. The new equipment and 2 games to get up to speed. Well it took me a little longer. 😉 The good part was.....that only set the hook even deeper. 🤷
Brady was from out west and only saw him play a couple times

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Brady was from out west and only saw him play a couple times
I had the pleasure in Spokane WA. I was dead money in the race to 9 nine ball on the 9 footers. Well I was working Union and making good money so the $50 donation was easy. 😉
Proof of the ease with which a snooker champion could play 9 ball. Running 6 and out was an appropriate Indian name.
So I was proud to get to 3. 🤷
Seems like in a double elimination final coming from the 2nd chance side, he finished the first set with a 6 and then opened the second with 6 more.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Seems like in a double elimination final coming from the 2nd chance side, he finished the first set with a 6 and then opened the second with 6 more.
That year at the Spokane Open .....seems like it might have been Rafael Martinez. Anyway his opponent put him to the 2nd chance side and had the advantage of back to back matches on the TV table. At breakfast Sunday morning he was quoted, "you give me back to back matches on that table and see how he likes it." Well coming through to the finals provided just that. His opponent didn't like it. 🤷