Fancy SW

northstar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am considering buying this Fancy SouthWest but not sure its true market value. The seller is asking 5k for this cue.

This is a 1987 SouthWest, no serial number on the pin but does come with a Certificate from SW.

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244838____7414-11.jpg

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244839____7415-6.jpg

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244839____7416-6.jpg

Does this sound like a good deal to you?

FLYINGSNAIL

Koo Cues
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
157   0   0
northstar said:
I am considering buying this Fancy SouthWest but not sure its true market value. The seller is asking 5k for this cue.

This is a 1987 SouthWest, no serial number on the pin but does come with a Certificate from SW.

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244838____7414-11.jpg

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244839____7415-6.jpg

hungeasy-img600x450-1171244839____7416-6.jpg

Does this sound like a good deal to you?
For a Southwest cue without ivory inlay $5k. nope...

CueJunkiee

Shoot with the Best TOOLS
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
franklin inlaid SW are hard to come by... i saw a standard 6 pointer nothing unique fly on fleabay the other day for 2500 +

if this cue was mint, 4-4500k i would think anyhow would be a pretty descent deal... ivory inlaid ones i'ver seen guys looking into the 8-10k area easy...

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
don't think that price is too out of line. any inlaid SW is very rare and imo this one is one of the nicer non-ivory inlaid designs i've seen. you might want to check and see if it comes with shafts that are original to the cue. could be wrong, but don't think they were using LBM in '87.

johnf_34

JF - Fitz Cues!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
cueaddicts said:
don't think that price is too out of line. any inlaid SW is very rare and imo this one is one of the nicer non-ivory inlaid designs i've seen. you might want to check and see if it comes with shafts that are original to the cue. could be wrong, but don't think they were using LBM in '87.
Yeah, the shaft collar rings don't seem to have the same patina as the cue, but hopefully they are original....Great looking cue!!

MATTY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
johnf_34 said:
Yeah, the shaft collar rings don't seem to have the same patina as the cue, but hopefully they are original....Great looking cue!!

shafts looks new from sw, not original, and also make sure that the cue is straight before you buy it...:rolleyes:

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
I'm Not A Big Sw Guy, But The Shafts Looked Beveled By The Threads. Is That Normal? I Thought They Were Flat.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
If it's straight and sound BUY IT, you'll be glad you did.

The longer you hang on to it the happier you'll be.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
FAST_N_LOOSE said:
I'm Not A Big Sw Guy, But The Shafts Looked Beveled By The Threads. Is That Normal? I Thought They Were Flat.
We machinists call that a countersink. Not a bevel. :D

northstar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The shafts are new and not original. Also, it has been refinished by SW. Will its value be affected much by these?

FAST_N_LOOSE

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
northstar said:
The shafts are new and not original. Also, it has been refinished by SW. Will its value be affected much by these?

I DON'T KNOW THE SW COLLECTORS, BUT I CAN SAY I HAVE PASSED ON 2 CUES RECENTLY BECAUSE THE SHAFTS WEREN'T ORIGINAL. IT WILL IN MY OPINION, HURT THE VALUE OF THE CUE.

DID SW MAKE THE NEW SHAFTS?

NorthPoint Cues

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the cue was refinished by SouthWest, it will only effect the cue price marginally. If you are buying the cue for yourself, as a long term investment, $5K is not out of line because you will be hard pressed to find another one. If, however, you are buying the cue to turn it for a profit, you will likely have to sit on it for at least a year, until the next addition of the blue book, before you find a buyer to give you more for it.

That being said, $5K is top dollar for the cue. SW Maple forearms, even fancy ones, tend to be less desirable. The same cue with an ebony forearm and maple points would be worth at least an extra $1k, and would be a great deal easier to resell

Bottom line is that you won't get hurt at $5k, although I would be much more comfortable at $4200

Good Luck

FAST_N_LOOSE

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
Hal said:
How does an Ebony forearm play compared to BEM?

THE EBONY FOREARMS (IF YOU CAN FIND ONE IN A GOOD PLAYING WEIGHT) FEEL BEETER THAN THE MAPLE CUES. THEY ARE MORE FORWARD BALANCED, AND HAVE A SOFTER FEEL TO THEM. I WILL BE BRINGING AN EBONY NOSED 1982(FIRST YEAR) 6 POINTER WITH ME TO VALLEY FORGE. THAT CUE PLAYS AWESOME, AND IT WILL BE LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME. I'LL BE POSTING A THREAD ABOUT THAT CUE IN A FEW MINUTES.

FAST_N_LOOSE

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
557   0   0
I Answered My Own Question About The Shafts, I Think. The Other Sw's That I Found Pics Of Do Not Have Countersinks On The Base Of The Shafts By The Threads. The 1982 Sw I Have Here Doesn't Have The Countersinks Either.